Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

what would you do?

I cant decice which way to go basically i have a manual 850 t5 estate which i love but road tax ran out abut 2 months ago and she has been sat on my drive going nowhere fast since with my intention being since dont really need her for work and essential day to day transport id wait till after christmas to tax her and get her back on the road the thing is she is a bit of a rat ride if you know what i mean and thats one of the reasons i love her because to most people she is just a rusty old volvo thats ready for the scrap yard that is only until the rusty old volvo dissapears into the distance lol
    anyway getting back to the subject like i say she is a little rough around the edges her wings are rusted through she has rust bubbles on the drvers side doors and she has laquer peel in various places all of which im not really botherd about
    but what has got me thinking is the other jobs that need doing she needs a new heater matrix because it leaks she needs the pcv system? Replacing she needs a new turbo oil return seal where it meets the sump discs and pads on the rear whic i have though she needs a new expansion tank because the sender is knackerd and she needs some new tyres theres probablys a few more things that i cant remember
    so my question is what would you do would you spend the money on her and get her fixed or get rid and put the money towards another car probablys an 850r i just dont know

This user has no status

Thanks
    Oh forgot to mention not that it rally matters like lol but she isnt a complete dog she maybe rusty but she does have a few things going for her like she has an r front bumper which is completley straight with driving lights she sits on comets has v70r front discs carriers and callipers she has a rica 304 i think remap and probablys best of all she has only coverd just over 118000 miles from new with service stamps from new and she is a manual box
    these are some of the reasons i feel it would be a shame not to fix her
    Like i sah what would you do

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    TBH mate, only you know, a lot of us throw enough money at a car, with which we could buy another one, it just depends how attached you are to it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    THis is difficult mate as stribo said only you know. Pretty sure the majority on here have thrown money at our cars, and if we all sat down and worked monies our we Would all be pretty scared as to how much we have spent, we have thrown money at our 96 R and I'm still not happy with it, where do you draw the line....that said we might have been able to buy a newer V70R with what we have paid out, but realistically I wouldn't have been happy with that and would have thrown money at that too!!!

Heart or head!!!i always go with my heart!!!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for your views lads i know ultimatley its up to me which way i go i think im gona go with my original plan and wait until christmas is over and treat the old girl at least i know whats wrong with her and a little tlc will sort her out she has never really let me down yet and knowing my luck id get something else that looks good but has just been someone elses problem and at least in my mind i will have saved one of a dying breed from the crusher for a few years at least

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Personally, I would break it, mechanical work is easy enough, but to sort the body would be uneconomical and I think that would always be in the back of your mind.
    Last edited by claymore; Monday 22nd December 2014 at 10:43.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    What you've listed there that needs replacing is what would need replacing on pretty much any other 850 you buy unless you got one from an enthusiast. Claymore is right about the bodywork though, that is certainly the expensive part. There is still good stock of genuine wings and Frf and supply them for about £120 each which is very good but getting the car painted will set you back a few k if you want it done right. I've had a bit done on mine recently and it's things like clips and pop rivets that soon add up.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What colour is she maybe look for a na donor manual t5s with decent miles are becoming hard too get
    1995 854 t5r

9. The Following User Says Thank You to martybelfastt5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 22nd December 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks again for all your opinions lads its much appreciated i have thought about breaking it but i think it would be a shame and i know where claymore and saaamon are coming from with the body issues but luckily i have a spare pair of wings from my last 850they are a different colour but they are solid and to be honest shiny paint doesnt really bother me
    After a lot of thought ive decided that in the new year im gona spend some pennys on her get her fixed mechanically then if i have some spare i think il set about making her into a sleeper
    think thats the way to go

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Your asking the wrong catchment on this one as most of us have spent far in excess of the value of the car, the good thing to take from spending money fixing the car is you've got a better one that you know yourself and realisticaly as already mentioned a similar replacement will still need that work doing and who knows what else unless you buy one from an enthusiast but even then we're still talking about a 17 year old plus car so they're all going to need it doing eventually if not already done.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Thread Information