Join Today
    Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts

V70R 4 speed autobox problem.

Since buying the car we had the gearbox oil changed, a few days later the problems started. First off, if the car is in drive and stationary it judders, almost as if the engines misfiring, secondly, when in 3rd, the car will only rev to about 3K revs, then feels again like it's misfiring, won't rev any higher, and won't change up, however, if you floor it, it'll kickdown, take off like a scalded cat with no sign of a misfire, and will rev round to the redline. Third problem, if the car is put into 3rd on the selector, the car will light the winter button, and the arrow comes on on the dash, although the car drives fine in 3rd. If L is selected, again the winter button light comes on, along with the arrow on the dash, but it whirrs quite badly, and although drives fine, is noticeably more noisy when stationary, than when neutral is selected. Lastly on full lock there's a clonking (speed related), and slight juddering.
    I'm fairly sure it's goosed (and have already bought another gearbox) but has anyone else had any of these symptons, and what was the problem?

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Might be worth spending £15 on sea foam trans tune before changing the box, and when you say you did an oil change, did you do a proper oil change with the correct oil? I'm doing the S60 over Christmas I'll be doing the complete flush and change until the oil is all clean.

Another thought, there is a big bolt on the top of the gearbox which looks like the filler plug hole, but it's the brake band bolt, I've heard of a few people ££££ing up the box by filling the oil through that hole and not through the dip stick hole.
    Last edited by claymore; Friday 19th December 2014 at 21:39.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Does the car have a sports and economy mode or is it winter mode only self learning box?

What was the oil like that came out the box, what is the oil like, colour and smell, in the box now and what oil did you use as a replacement, when you did the oil change and renewed the oil did you check the level with the engine running and the oil fully up to temperature?

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Might be worth spending £15 on sea foam trans tune before changing the box, and when you say you did an oil change, did you do a proper oil change with the correct oil? I'm doing the S60 over Christmas I'll be doing the complete flush and change until the oil is all clean.

Another thought, there is a big bolt on the top of the gearbox which looks like the filler plug hole, but it's the brake band bolt, I've heard of a few people ££££ing up the box by filling the oil through that hole and not through the dip stick hole.
    That's the 5speed adaptive boxes on the later 2.4's as far as I know..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

claymore (Friday 19th December 2014)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Funnily I've changed oil on all the auto boxes now.

The first 2, 4 and 5 sp fill through the dipstick

The 6 sp has a large bolt to fill through and it's much easier.

It could well be broken, but correct fluid helps, what did you fill it with? Iirc should be dextron 3

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Colin don't forget to reset your oil change counter on the ECU otherwise it may drive like a pig.

Also your gearbox adaptation to speed things up

will it never end?
    Thanks
    It was done buy our Volvo indie, and it was a flush, and refill, I trust that they would use the correct fluid/oil.

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Btw, the arrow on the dash is meant to illuminate when you select 3 or L, it's to show that you're not in D without looking down.

Mine also lights up the winter mode button when in the above gears.

It is also quite normal for an auto to feel 'a little' (and I mean just a little) rougher in D at idle on the brake than in neutral. Mind, by the sounds of it your's is sounding like it is more than a little rougher!?

The full lock clonking is probably AWD related sadly.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Saturday 20th December 2014),jamesy12345 (Monday 22nd December 2014),stribo (Saturday 20th December 2014)

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    Btw, the arrow on the dash is meant to illuminate when you select 3 or L, it's to show that you're not in D without looking down.

Mine also lights up the winter mode button when in the above gears.

It is also quite normal for an auto to feel 'a little' (and I mean just a little) rougher in D at idle on the brake than in neutral. Mind, by the sounds of it your's is sounding like it is more than a little rougher!?

The full lock clonking is probably AWD related sadly.
    It's coming from the front left side of the car, I'm thinking the diff's had it.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    It's coming from the front left side of the car, I'm thinking the diff's had it.
    Drive shaft CV joint ?.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    It was done buy our Volvo indie, and it was a flush, and refill, I trust that they would use the correct fluid/oil.
    That you sure even my maindealer just drops what's in the sump! 3 litres or so, plus it's incredibly easy to do.

Yours is easy to take the feed pipe off to, to speed things up.

Just check the oil colour, but I'm sure you'll sort it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    As above the yellow up shift arrow will illuminate in any of the forward gears other than drive and will also come on if the gear selector is in drive and winter mode is selected. It's been a Volvo thing since the 200 series cars were produced to inform the driver that up shift to top gear has been prohibited. It is also the gearbox ecu's way of informing the driver that an electrical gearbox fault exists, if it's not on whilst in drive then the ecu will be unaware of any electrical faults relating to the gearbox.

I'd be checking the oil level, colour and condition first but the transmission may not be your issue. That said the line pressure within the box is varied by the gearbox ecu, it increases line pressure the harder the throttle is depressed to decrease gear change speed, the reason it's reduced at lower throttle applications is because it allows the transmission to shift in a smooth and more comfortable way for the occupants of the car, you may have noticed that gear changes are more swift under full/kickdown throttle when compared with light/medium throttle and this is normal.
    If the line pressure is not sufficient enough the fault could replicate the issues your experiencing and maybe as a result of a faulty gearbox oil pump or the wrong fluid has been used...
    Last edited by AndysR; Saturday 20th December 2014 at 11:36.

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Drive shaft CV joint ?.
    Had them checked when the car was in the indie, but have bouight a spare pair of driveshafts.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Who in there right mind would buy a v70r awd with a chocolate gearbox.

Thats why god gave us a left foot so we can operate a clutch pedal.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Think, people paid extra for them when they were new!

Madness...

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    They are a bit of a ball ache, probably the combination that will cause most hassle.

Thread Information