Join Today
    Wear sun screen

Thanks

collant gauge drops off, any ideas?

Hi guys

I Noticed this yesterday on the coolant temperature gauge...whenever i turn the car off and back on...the gauge goes to the middle (if the cars warm) then after about 5-6 seconds the gauge drops off to 0 but no noticeable changes with the car itself...any ideas? I posted on Facebook as well, and suggestions have been a faulty coolant sensor or the cluster itself.

thanks

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    If your car is OBD2 then get a Vida read on the ECU, it will tell you if you have a fault relating to the sensor. See my thread as I've just changed mine along with the Thermostat.

Wear sun screen

Thanks
    Thanks alot, another thing i noticed was the internal fan and heating have stopped working...any clues?

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rahul View Post
    Thanks alot, another thing i noticed was the internal fan and heating have stopped working...any clues?
    Internal fan? Check the fuse for the fan blower unit (it will tell you in the handbook), if that's in tact then it could be fault with the motor for the fan, a resistor or something.

As for the 'heating', are your front carpets wet? Have you checked your coolant level? If there is no coolant or very little and just 'air locks' then your engine would actually overheat but you'd get little or no heat out of your air vents. You'd also crack the engine block.

There could also be an issue with the water pump not pumping the coolant around, again, it's likely your engine would overheat.

Start with the basic checks and go from there, so coolant levels, fuses, any obvious leaks etc.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Internal fan? Check the fuse for the fan blower unit (it will tell you in the handbook), if that's in tact then it could be fault with the motor for the fan, a resistor or something.

As for the 'heating', are your front carpets wet? Have you checked your coolant level? If there is no coolant or very little and just 'air locks' then your engine would actually overheat but you'd get little or no heat out of your air vents. You'd also crack the engine block.

There could also be an issue with the water pump not pumping the coolant around, again, it's likely your engine would overheat.

Start with the basic checks and go from there, so coolant levels, fuses, any obvious leaks etc.
    ok to start with the obvious, what model volvo are we talking about, as this is looking electrical as far as I see

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Wear sun screen

Thanks
    Haha so sorry. Its a 98 s70 2.5t manual

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Well? Did you sort it? What was it?

I bet it wasn't a cracked head, water pump, fuse for the fan blower unit, resistor, wet carpets or coolant level.

I do know it was an electrical fault - because a mechanical fault would not cause the gauge to drop like a stone, as per your video.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 11th February 2015)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Well? Did you sort it? What was it?

I bet it wasn't a cracked head, water pump, fuse for the fan blower unit, resistor, wet carpets or coolant level.

I do know it was an electrical fault - because a mechanical fault would not cause the gauge to drop like a stone, as per your video.
    How can you say that, our resident 'expert' has said it's probably a cracked block, or possibly the brakes need bleeding. (there should be a disclaimer on the forum to warn new users to ignore advice from JamesT5,) unless it is backed up by at least two other respected forum members.
    Last edited by claymore; Wednesday 11th February 2015 at 08:07.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

Ettienne (Wednesday 11th February 2015),LeeT5 (Wednesday 11th February 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    It's funny how he offers advise to newbies that may just follow blindly his words of wisdom.
    Last edited by Ettienne; Wednesday 11th February 2015 at 08:15.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    It's funny how he offers advise to newbies that may just follow blindly his words of wisdom.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I would suspect a faulty water temp sender as the gauge clearly works (at least initially) - especially if this is repeatable. Can't be a leak because if the car was leaking & the sender and gauge were working - then the temp would go up.
    I would also be temped to change out the binnacle to rule out any fault within the dash itself.

ps I have a spare binnacle from a 99 C70 - but I suspect there maybe small differences.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Can you correct the thread title spelling mistake please Dave. It's bugging me!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I only wish I could but sadly I have no powers
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Can you correct the thread title spelling mistake please Dave. It's bugging me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I only wish I could but sadly I have no powers
    Admin!!!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Clutching at straws comes to mind. If the heater's not working, why would the carpets be wet?

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    A more logical test comes to mind if someone can confirm how the coolant sensor works on these...

Assuming its a (temperature triggered) variable resistor, then earthing out the wire to the coolant sensor should return the gauge to zero? Conversely, if you apply a voltage to that wire the gauge should rise? If we could get the correct test figures for full deflection, half deflection and zero deflection, then that should indicate whether the coolant sensor is faulty, or whether the fault lies elsewhere?

Thats where I'd be looking anyway, checking the integrity of the connection and doing this test - but only after finding out if the presumption is correct. If the sensor is current based, then of course this is all bull££££
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    A more logical test comes to mind if someone can confirm how the coolant sensor works on these...

Assuming its a (temperature triggered) variable resistor, then earthing out the wire to the coolant sensor should return the gauge to zero? Conversely, if you apply a voltage to that wire the gauge should rise? If we could get the correct test figures for full deflection, half deflection and zero deflection, then that should indicate whether the coolant sensor is faulty, or whether the fault lies elsewhere?

Thats where I'd be looking anyway, checking the integrity of the connection and doing this test - but only after finding out if the presumption is correct. If the sensor is current based, then of course this is all bull££££
    As above & engine earth strap, that's my guess.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    As above & engine earth strap, that's my guess.
    No, no, its definitely a cracked cylinder head.

Thread Information