Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Cool Camera Car sorted - p1 V70 TDi Estate

Booom! Since this thread ( The-search-has-started-new-Camera-Machine-850 ) I've been scouring Bay of E, Car and Classic, Autotrader, RR and other forum for sale threads and Pistonheads (zero on there!) for TDi 850's or V70's.

Very few TDi's seemed to pop up and I was starting to get a little disheartened with my criteria (TDi, preferably dark colour, good price, maybe a little work to be done, not 'damaged' but dirty was ok – I'm a detailing freak, so know I can clean anything up)

Thankfully, this one popped up a few days ago and today I went and collected! I've attached some pics from the ad, I'll get out and grab some detailed ones tomorrow.

Some interesting foibles to this little machine though. It's certainly incredibly comfortable and surprisingly quiet for what I was expecting for a diesel. The interior is in v good condition, but the plastics need a good clean. Window switches are very worn and two on the drivers control pad don't work. Maybe just need a new set which would be nice seeing as this one is rather cut up and worn.

I need to source some fog lights or fog light covers as the bumper is missing those, but an R bumper would certainly look better no doubt.

There is, however, an odd foible regarding the glow plugs. The owner mentioned that from cold and from hot it would start 100% fine but at luke warm (ie driven, left for an hour or so and then started again) it would just chug, as if the glow plugs were cut out. He installed an override switch to enable the manual pre heat for the glow plugs which works. Certainly a curious issue, but one that I'm sure I (we) can solve. It does sound thermostat orientated to me but I'm no expert. I'll have a read and see what I can come up with.

As for plans, I have some black leather and suede heated seats to collect on Tuesday to fit. After that some servicing orientated work I feel should be ticked off. Cambelt, bushes etc. Luckily it's just had brand new discs and pads though. And as the front tyres are rather low, I'd quite like to take that opportunity to fit some 17" steels with a subtle banding.

Heater and air con smells a little musky. Maybe needs a clean somewhere...

It has a central locking remote fob which apparently doesn't work. I've taken out the battery, not tested it yet, but the owner did say something about a frequency that was no longer supported which will be a shame. The fob is a lock, unlock, boot and a yellow button Volvo factory one so, shrug, I'd imagine it should work. :/

As it's going to be a camera gear transporting car, I'm going to make some felt luggage bags to fit in the boot to organise light stands and the like, too.

Is there anything important that I need to add to the list?

Loved the drive back, and looking forward to heading out next week on it's first photoshoot

Take care all!
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Diabolu; Friday 28th November 2014 at 00:55.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Diabolu For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Friday 28th November 2014)

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    The windows switches are made from a particularly nasty plastic. Not sure what causes it - UV light from daylight or perhaps sweat, but they get sticky and degrade horribly. I took mine out and cleaned them up as best I could, but even so they are still not as nice as I'd like. They're damn expensive new too! The LHD one are cheaper, so what I might do it buy a LHD set and use the electronic gubbins from my car - simply swap the 'auto' button over when reassembling. I did a write up somewhere, but here is the before and after pic (I bought a spare to test the disassembly on lol)

Name:  windowbuttons.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  142.5 KB

The diesel engine might be a VW sourced item (I'm not sure of the production years they were used in), so you might be able to get VW branded parts cheaper? Just a thought, but you'll need to check that it is a VW unit Certainly sounds like its glowplug or glowplug relay related.

The remote fob that is on a frequency no longer supported... thats news to me lol. I reckon its a load of sweaty old ££££££ to be honest. Try a new battery and if that doesn't work, it'll probably need to be re-programmed. Worst case scenario, the receiver is kaput and will need to be replaced.

Finally, the smelly heater and aircon... try changing the cabin/pollen filter. They're about £10-15 and are a 10 minute replacement job - its housed under the nearside windscreen scuttle. Undo a couple of screws and it pulls out. They're rarely changed so when they are removed they are filthy and crammed with nasties.

Welcome to the forum BTW
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

This user has no status

Thanks
    ^^^^ What a post!

Thanks I'm gutting the interior for a detail clean at the moment, but this evening I'll have a look around and sort out and have a look at the other stuff you mention Brililant.

and thanks for the welcome

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diabolu For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Friday 28th November 2014)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Looks pretty nice, that

Yup, VW 5cyl TDi.
    Sounds like a temp sensor issue to me, but no expert.
    Cracking engines though, epically good on fuel on a run and respond well to a bit of fettling.

As for the fob, it sounds like a P2 (S60/V70/S80) fob, yours shouldn't have the yellow button.
    I could be wrong, but I thought P1s like yours had a three button fob?

Welcome along to the madhouse

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    The reason your remote won't work is because it's for a P2 car, and yours is P1. Volvo may be able to program it to your car (not cheap) failing that you'll need the 3 button P1 remote, but again it'll need programing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Very nice! Pretty jealous.
    I've got some foglights for price of postage

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    welcome to the club i too have a v70 tdi tractor

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Looks pretty nice, that

Yup, VW 5cyl TDi.
    Sounds like a temp sensor issue to me, but no expert.
    Cracking engines though, epically good on fuel on a run and respond well to a bit of fettling.

As for the fob, it sounds like a P2 (S60/V70/S80) fob, yours shouldn't have the yellow button.
    I could be wrong, but I thought P1s like yours had a three button fob?

Welcome along to the madhouse
    Thanks. I'll try to source a p1 fob or even a p1 complete transmitter/receiver/fob from somewhere.
    Fettling you say... hmmmm... in what sense, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    Very nice! Pretty jealous.
    I've got some foglights for price of postage
    I'd be interested in those, could you let me know price to Derby?
    Last edited by Diabolu; Friday 28th November 2014 at 20:18.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The engines an Audi AEL, As used in early A6's.
    1995 855 T5 CD, Manual. HLM304, White injectors, 16T, Genuine RIP, 302mm discs, 75K miles!
    1996 855 TDI GLT, Manual.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Wow! I've had this for a month now, done a tonne of miles to photoshoots in Cambridge, London and Gainsborough amongst others and I'm very pleased! So composed on a long run and I must say I'm very pleased to have a working stereo again (I've got all my tapes back out haha!)

Firstly thanks to Henk for sorting out the lack of foglights. Yours arrived at the weekend and I 'll fit those over the coming days! I also picked up (see attached) some awesome leather/suede heated seats to fit. Rears all went in fine, but the fronts I'm just checking and worried about the SIPS in the seat. I found this thread here which has been really helpful but I still can't locate the little red tag I need to block the SIPS sensor and I'm a little worried it'll blow up in my face if i I remove these seats haha.

I was hoping someone might know where said tag is or even if these seats need/have one. I apologise for the vagueness but there doesn't seem to be much online about these particular seats.

Over Christmas I'll be doing a full detail, inside and out and then after Christmas I'm going to have a hunt for some 17" insignia steelies to band a little. It might then get a fair whack with the lowering stick. Camera cars need lows don't you know lol!

Anyway, many thanks, and hope you're all having a great week.

Name:  10689475_10152558302345765_1643118773284121896_n.jpg
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  Photo 15-12-2014 12 43 52.jpg
Size:  423.5 KB
    Last edited by Diabolu; Monday 15th December 2014 at 13:02.

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    How's your starting issue now? I know people have mentioned glow plugs ect but that isn't at all relevant with warm starting as they only come in when the coolant is lower than 5 degrees. And to be honest these direct injection engines don't really need glow plugs in our climate anyway!
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Starting issue is... still an issue but not really... if you get me haha. Starts every time but it's still just that little window when you've driven it and it's cooled down just a bit. The 'override' switch is working absolutely fine but I'm just convinced there's a glow plug that needs replacing or a thermostat.

EGR valve is blocked off at source, I'll make a blanking plate for that later so it can come off completely. And these are now fitted!!

Name:  10882301_10152595201980765_428746438080766477_n.jpg
Size:  82.8 KB

Pleased! Work fine, just with 30amp fuses in rather than the auto cb. I'll grab two of those when I remember.

Also popped the foglights in! Need to wire in the switch side of those.

Name:  10857846_10152597546100765_2519713403706602777_n.jpg
Size:  103.5 KB

but I do prefer the look with that little bit more happening below the bumper.

Rear seats are all folded down and I'm going to make some tidy net pockets and velcro bottomed bags to house my camera gear neatly and safely. Already done a few shoots in it and OMG is it smooth when tracking cars and i'm hanging out of the back!

Wheels and tyres are shot so they're up next.. .I have these in mind for the new year Friend of mine is going to flip the centres for a little more offset and dish and I'm doing a bit of head scratching over colours. gloss bronze, black or body coloured metallic green. Hmmmmmm. Then a little whack with the lowering stick.

Are there any other 'must do' mods that you guys recommend me look into?

Hope you've all had a great christmas and here's to 2015!!

As a present, here's a photo from one of the first shoots with the car as a tracking monster!!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
    How's your starting issue now? I know people have mentioned glow plugs ect but that isn't at all relevant with warm starting as they only come in when the coolant is lower than 5 degrees. And to be honest these direct injection engines don't really need glow plugs in our climate anyway!
    Just started to struggle a little more on cold starts now. 2-4 degrees at the moment. Wondering what the best course of action would be. New thermo/plugs first? There's chunk of white smoke when it does chug into life...

Any advice on this engine would be appreciated

In other news, new wheels have been ordered, waiting for those to arrive and then it'll be a trip to Essex to see a friend who is going to flip the centres for some dishy dish and poke ready for step 2 of stance plan

Chris!

Thread Information