Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question REAR SEAT BELT REMOVAL from seat?

The rear seat belt only retracts and won't come out again, I've taken the cover off the end of the seat so how do I now get the reel out to replace, or fiddle with.
    It's now retracted so much that the seat won't push right back into place.

Please help!!

850 estate

Mike
    WARNING! Some of the above may be my unbiased opinion, sarcasm, or just total bo****ks.

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    i've done it too....cos the seatbelt has retracted so far into the seat the only way to release it is to strip the whole mechanism down to release it..

From memory I'll try to remember...but My volvo is not here at the moment so I can't go out to it to remind me....If I miss anything out let me know....

1. Prise off the shroud that covers the seat belt - I think you've done that already.. You'll need to buy new plugs to refit this as the old ones you will have destroyed.
    2. Undo the end of the seatbelt from underneath the seat it allows you to put the seat into any position you want...
    3. Using your Torx socket remove the seat lock...
    4. now it gets a bit hazy... but some how you can get a socket inside the seat to undo two 17mm(???) nuts. DO THIS VERY CAREFULLY COS IF DROPPED YOU WONT BE ABLE TO GET THEM BACK.
    The Seatbelt machanism should now remove....if not I've missed a step but you should be able to figure it out...

With the mechanism out there should be a small cover that you can just pull off and put it out of the way...
    The next bit is fiddley and be very careful as a springy bit will fall out and you need to know where it went...
    5. using a flat screw driver or Knife release the side of the mechanism...
    6. pull the cover off carefully but make note of where the plastic spinny thing(you'll know what I mean when you do it) is sitting at the time so you can put it back where it came from...
    The mechanism sits on an alignment dowel so if it doesn't support it'd own weight keep playing until everything lines up...
    7. With the side off you will be able to release the seatbelt all the way you need....

Advise us mole grips or something to hold the seatbelt out. Cos if it returns back to position on refitting you'll need to start again....

Put everything back and test.......preferably before you put the new clips in...
    If your interior is blue then the clips are Part number - 9410978 - SP CLIP, BLUE

PM me if you're stuck...or I'll see you at a meet it's pretty straight forward...
    Last edited by JUDGENINJA; Sunday 20th November 2005 at 15:24. Reason: Can't spell

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks

A massive thank you!

Thanks very much.
    I've had this problem for a few weeks and keep meaning to sort out. From memory your description sounds good, I remember being stuck on the 17mm bolts thinking it looks fiddly and perhaps the seat needs stripping more.
    I'll have a go later in the week and hopefully get it completed.

thanks again

Mike
    WARNING! Some of the above may be my unbiased opinion, sarcasm, or just total bo****ks.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I got into a similar situation when I fitted luggage nets to my car. The problem is that the seat belt only reels out in the vertcal position, if the belt retracts too far the seat can't get far enough back for the reel to release.

I managed to fix mine in situ by carefully prising the belt through the opening. Can't describe what I did as I fiddled with it for sometime before it came free. It is however, possible.

Having freed it once I even managed to repeat the error (where is that slap Icon when you want it!!!). When I did the other side I tied a knot in the webbing so it couldn't reel in when the seat was lowered.
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Martin, mine is similar and the seat is in position with the tightest belt known to man!
    I had visions of stripping the whole seat down but now i know its just fiddly I will attempt later in the week.

Mike

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My belt was tighter than that on Jo Brands jeans!!

Saw this thread on the Volvo club forum today about removing the seat backrests which may be another approach if you can't free it off enough.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...id=24513&page=
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA
    i've done it too....cos the seatbelt has retracted so far into the seat the only way to release it is to strip the whole mechanism down to release it..

From memory I'll try to remember...but My volvo is not here at the moment so I can't go out to it to remind me....If I miss anything out let me know....

1. Prise off the shroud that covers the seat belt - I think you've done that already.. You'll need to buy new plugs to refit this as the old ones you will have destroyed.
    2. Undo the end of the seatbelt from underneath the seat it allows you to put the seat into any position you want...
    3. Using your Torx socket remove the seat lock...
    4. now it gets a bit hazy... but some how you can get a socket inside the seat to undo two 17mm(???) nuts. DO THIS VERY CAREFULLY COS IF DROPPED YOU WONT BE ABLE TO GET THEM BACK.
    The Seatbelt machanism should now remove....if not I've missed a step but you should be able to figure it out...

With the mechanism out there should be a small cover that you can just pull off and put it out of the way...
    The next bit is fiddley and be very careful as a springy bit will fall out and you need to know where it went...
    5. using a flat screw driver or Knife release the side of the mechanism...
    6. pull the cover off carefully but make note of where the plastic spinny thing(you'll know what I mean when you do it) is sitting at the time so you can put it back where it came from...
    The mechanism sits on an alignment dowel so if it doesn't support it'd own weight keep playing until everything lines up...
    7. With the side off you will be able to release the seatbelt all the way you need....

Advise us mole grips or something to hold the seatbelt out. Cos if it returns back to position on refitting you'll need to start again....

Put everything back and test.......preferably before you put the new clips in...
    If your interior is blue then the clips are Part number - 9410978 - SP CLIP, BLUE

PM me if you're stuck...or I'll see you at a meet it's pretty straight forward...

Yes thats roughly how it was...finished today! I've had the reel out sitting on the seat for a few weeks but today needed the car for 5 passengers!
    Don't know what was wrong it just sort of worked once all was stripped.

cheers
    Michael

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    The little pastic mechanism rotates too far round so it won't release. when you opened it the part was allowed to rotate round and free itself off....thus allowing you to put it straight back together.

When you go to put it back make sure that you hold the belt out with mole grips or something, because if you don't have all the cowling installed to stop it from returning into the seat again you've got to pull it apart and start again...

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

Thread Information