Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    And cheap petrol!!!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    And cheap petrol!!!
    Cheaper than water out there. Got about 19 mpg around the town but nobody cared

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    That's what I get 18-22 depending on my mood and passengers.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Hi, new to this section but may become more of a regular.

As you may or may not know I currently have my 854R which I've really been enjoying over my time as owner but I'm getting an increasing itch to change to something different. In this case its a V70R that I've got the itch for. You hear about the various horror stories of autoboxes and transfer boxes going due to angle gear failure and liners splitting but I want to hear your experiences. I've heard that the earlier cars have better seat bolsters but that later cars have improved autoboxes, transfer boxes and electrical fidgets have been resolved. Ideally I'd like an auto as I'm very fond of the 850 for that reason, I'm in two minds about which I prefer the look of exterior wise be it pre or post facelift I think it's more colour that I'm interested. The flash green or grey are my two favourites although condition of other colours would be considered.

So have any of you had an 850/S/V70 and changed to an S60/V70R if so what did you think/how did you find it compared. I've only ever driven 2 phase 2 V70's both being the 2.0T models but were auto, I liked the smooth solid feel to them but they did feel a lot less raw than the 850 and obviously a lot slower than the 850. Ideally I'd like to drive/have a passenger ride in one to see how they feel but I would like to hear peoples experiences of them and form an opinion first before I trial/find one to have a ride in.

This isn't a for sale advert for the 850 so please don't start going off topic by asking I am purely curious about the V70/S60 R range ATM and want some real life expereinces , thanks in advance
    I've driven two modified S60R's now on the road and at Castle Combe and the Ring. They are similar in the fact that they wear a Volvo badge, thats about it!

It's all been said before but it's a newer car so feels more plush. Interiors are nice on the R's, handling is good but does feel to ride a little 'tall' compared to my V70 D5. Do not lower them though, compromises the amazing suspension which is highly capable. Power seems underwhelming even mapped compared to my 850 but then what normal car wouldn't underwhelm! Still very capable and very deceptive.

I would strongly urge having an extended test drive before doing something silly. I did consider dropping both mine and getting a V70R but this is the second time I have come back to the 850 and I couldn't part with mine now, it just is raw and when I sit in it; it feels so right!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

Dream3r (Thursday 15th January 2015),Jamest5r (Thursday 15th January 2015),jamesy12345 (Thursday 15th January 2015)

Thread Information