Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts

Time for something different, V70R thoughts please

Hi, new to this section but may become more of a regular.

As you may or may not know I currently have my 854R which I've really been enjoying over my time as owner but I'm getting an increasing itch to change to something different. In this case its a V70R that I've got the itch for. You hear about the various horror stories of autoboxes and transfer boxes going due to angle gear failure and liners splitting but I want to hear your experiences. I've heard that the earlier cars have better seat bolsters but that later cars have improved autoboxes, transfer boxes and electrical fidgets have been resolved. Ideally I'd like an auto as I'm very fond of the 850 for that reason, I'm in two minds about which I prefer the look of exterior wise be it pre or post facelift I think it's more colour that I'm interested. The flash green or grey are my two favourites although condition of other colours would be considered.

So have any of you had an 850/S/V70 and changed to an S60/V70R if so what did you think/how did you find it compared. I've only ever driven 2 phase 2 V70's both being the 2.0T models but were auto, I liked the smooth solid feel to them but they did feel a lot less raw than the 850 and obviously a lot slower than the 850. Ideally I'd like to drive/have a passenger ride in one to see how they feel but I would like to hear peoples experiences of them and form an opinion first before I trial/find one to have a ride in.

This isn't a for sale advert for the 850 so please don't start going off topic by asking I am purely curious about the V70/S60 R range ATM and want some real life expereinces , thanks in advance

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Have i still got 1st dibs sorry for going off topic

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Ive had a quick drive of a manual r and they are a very nice place to be with regards to breakdowns/faults what cars doesnt have problems.
    We will certainly be getting one when the v40 derv dies.
    also ask stribro as he will be able to give you a good comparrison.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I've had every conceivable combination, manual, 5 sp auto and 6 sp auto, having owned 4 now.

As a daily I'd have the 6 sp auto every time. Buy after 05 300% stronger angle gear (still on my original at 145k)

Everything else you should know really it's been talked about often enough, liners split, but piece of pee to fix and not particularly expensive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Sunday 23rd November 2014)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    I went to the southern today in the pouring rain and they are brilliant in the wet also, such a solid planted car to drive.

I prefer the estate, they aren't like the noisy 850 estates, quite quiet and refined, not forgetting fully loaded in R spec.

Fuel is the biggest problem 18-20 around town, but 37 at 70mph so not terrible.

As for comparing it to an 850, I sold my gul as I never drove it and always went for the p2 keys.

I now have a crappy 940 as a spare car, just incase the p2 goes wrong and I need a car.
    Last edited by Ettienne; Sunday 23rd November 2014 at 22:53.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 23rd November 2014),Tomcat (Sunday 23rd November 2014)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Good call on this Andy, though I can't afford one at present I'm more than a little tempted by one of these myself. They where out of my reach before but recently I've seen the prices coming down quite a bit.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Tuning wise my s60r manual produced 337bhp on 95ron fuel. It had been tuned for 35k miles without problem and I have been known to drive enthusiastically.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 23rd November 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I've had every conceivable combination, manual, 5 sp auto and 6 sp auto, having owned 4 now.

As a daily I'd have the 6 sp auto every time. Buy after 05 300% stronger angle gear (still on my original at 145k)

Everything else you should know really it's been talked about often enough, liners split, but piece of pee to fix and not particularly expensive.
    is that the higher tax bracket??

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    D6 hybrid? 280BHP.....but £30-37k....

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Mine is registered 7th march 2006 on the 14th it went up to £480 a year (or close to that) so I am lucky, probably have the closest to the tax increase.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 24th November 2014)

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    I'm willing to be corrected on any of the following, just my observations.

Autobox S60R/V70R's tend to have less issues relating to Angle gear/splines failing due to stress. (Though as the cars get older failures may occur more now do to lack of servicing).

I've not known of split liners in a standard car........touching wood, mine have never failed but that might be the luck of the draw.

Electrical gremlins can be a nightmare.

If buying, take someone who has owned a S60R/V70R before, especially in terms of suspension checking.

Think I'd opt for the better autobox over the better seats. (Just check the heated seats actually work).
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Liners seem to split from 90k onwards, just from what I've seen, my auto split at 142k

I'd agree with less stress on angle gear as it's not able to be launched i.e with clutch.

Steer well clear of the 5sp autos.

So it's really 05-06 era you want to buy in

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    I went from the S70 T5 to the S60R. It took me a good year or so to commit to getting rid of the S70 after I bought it.

In standard form the P2 R's are pretty dull to drive. As an every day car, they're very good. Comfy, refined, fast, not overly expensive to repair anymore and sensible on fuel for what it is. But for fun factor, even a fairly high modified one, they are not a patch on the P1's. You'll miss the 850 for certain - unless you can keep both?

The main "issues" are very well known now, but none of which cost a huge amount to put right these days. The angle gear being the worst, but as said the autos seem to suffer less, and the later cars have a stronger angle gear, they do still go, but it is less common. My angle gear was fine when I bought the car, but TW had the collar welded to the angle gear itself, theoretically it should never fail - so far so good! Getting the liners shimmed is around £600 (I think!) with TW, and can be done in a day. I'd do this straight away If I were to buy a P2R. I think Tim did 3 P2 V70R's last week with split liners, it is a very common issue. Shocks are almost as cheap as buying decent regular shocks these days, so should they fail, it's no worse than any other car.

They are more fussy (electrically) than a P1, but what more modern car isn't?

Mine's a manual, but your more than welcome to come and have drive.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    I went from the S70 T5 to the S60R. It took me a good year or so to commit to getting rid of the S70 after I bought it.

In standard form the P2 R's are pretty dull to drive. As an every day car, they're very good. Comfy, refined, fast, not overly expensive to repair anymore and sensible on fuel for what it is. But for fun factor, even a fairly high modified one, they are not a patch on the P1's. You'll miss the 850 for certain - unless you can keep both?

The main "issues" are very well known now, but none of which cost a huge amount to put right these days. The angle gear being the worst, but as said the autos seem to suffer less, and the later cars have a stronger angle gear, they do still go, but it is less common. My angle gear was fine when I bought the car, but TW had the collar welded to the angle gear itself, theoretically it should never fail - so far so good! Getting the liners shimmed is around £600 (I think!) with TW, and can be done in a day. I'd do this straight away If I were to buy a P2R. I think Tim did 3 P2 V70R's last week with split liners, it is a very common issue. Shocks are almost as cheap as buying decent regular shocks these days, so should they fail, it's no worse than any other car.

The angle gear may be more common but I've never felt more ripped off than when I needed to get the DEM replaced.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Have i still got 1st dibs sorry for going off topic
    God knows I've lost count on that front, if and when the time comes it will be advertised here first.

Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post

Some interesting feedback and the offer of a drive is much appreciated. Your Southampton way aren't you? I'm going to try and get along to one of the softies meets perhaps we can organise something around one of these , thanks in advance though, great offer

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

probably on the net reading
    about volvos

Thanks
    i made the move 14 months ago from 270hp (ish) manual 855R with 120k on the clock to a bog standard 145k P2 V70R manual, Whilst sitting in traffic in the 850 a certain flash green scottish V70 passed by and that was my mind confirmed on what to replace the 850 with...

In the last 14 months i've added almost 20k to the V70's mileage and ive had not a single problem other than "consumables". Luckily it seems i found a good one that had been well looked after and had lots of parts replaced by the previous owner. I was looking for a fast estate and even with its list of potential problems the P2 V70R seemed a more sensible choice than the likes of similar aged RS6's, AMG's & M's.

First impression on driving away was how modern the drive and feel of the car was over the 850, overall just a generally nicer, more modern place to be. To this day i'm still not fully convinced the V70 is quicker but i think thats all down to power delivery and just being a smoother quieter drive. Even with now over 160k its still better and more pleasurable to drive than my brothers 40k pissat or girlfriends 20k ££££reon. She will use it any chance she gets and always passes comment on the dolby stereo, ease of overtaking and how the seat moves to her position when she use's the spare key!!

i'm in two minds about spending some money on the drivetrain, suspension, possibly more power and run for another year or advertise it and move on. Ive used it from everything from the daily commute, rally car tow vehicle, rally service car, campervan, road tripping, a storage shed whilst we decorated plus plenty spirited drives into the higlands chasing friends (carrying numerous spares and over night bags) and its been nothing but reliable and enjoyable!

A P2 is surely the natural progression from the 8 series......(ive never been taken with the P1 body style for some reason)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had our v70r nearly 3 years in which time its had, new front shockers, alarm siren, boost control solenoid, and the awd has gone bang now ( hope its just the sleeve),,,
    Needs rear brakes, front droplink and abs rings,,, the car has served us well and never let us down, only downside is the turning circle

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I know this is a bit irrelevant, as my P2 was a D5, but I thought a couple of general observations might be useful. The P2 is a much more modern car but, having recently had a ride in an 850, I was struck by how refined it still felt, even compared to the V70 that was ten years newer. The interior is nicer in that it feels a bit more modern, but the difference in NVH wasn't as big as I expected. That being said, the V70 was probably one of the nicest mile munchers around, especially for what they cost. The level of refinement compared to the Mondeo ST220 I had before it, and even to much newer cars, was very impressive, as well as the level of equipment. It was a lovely car to travel cross country in; quiet, comfortable and generally just a pleasant place to be.

However, my V70 has now been sold. Whilst I loved the refinement, ride, equipment and space, it was beginning to become a tiresome car to own. I bought it on 118k and sold it on 145k. In that time, it needed a rear caliper (which meant rear disks and pads too), front lower arms, a driveshaft, one of the boost hoses fell apart, the top engine mount broke, a track rod end had to be replaced. Those are wear in tear items but, for perspective, the ST220 (which I bought on 114k and sold on 147k) needed an ABS sensor in that time, that was it.

The V70 still knocked like mad over bumps, and developed quite a few interior rattles. I also found parts expensive. It needed a new front damper, and a cheap pattern item from my local parts place was about £150.

Perhaps I just bought a bad one or was unlucky, but it seemed quite an expensive car to own, and not as solid as my Mondeo, let alone an 850 in my experience. I would absolutely love an R, but I think I'd find myself reluctant to buy a P2 again to be honest.
    1996 850 T-5 -lowered 40mm, 17" Volans, T5-R front bumper and spoiler, recirc. blanked, open filter - GONE!
    2003 V70 D5 SE - very standard - ALSO GONE!
    2003 RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup - FOR SALE
    2016 VW Golf R DSG - GONE
    2013 Megane Renault Sport 265 - SOLD

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    I had an 6-speed auto 2007 model, it was pretty good. Liners split but it had done 120,0000 hard km's in Qatar. It gave me the impression on being more fragile than say a P80 R but enjoyed it while it lasted

If not for the scarcity of the cheap-tax-bracket-six-speed-autos in the UK I would consider another one.

edit

it was an S60R
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Wednesday 14th January 2015 at 12:42.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    I had an 6-speed auto 2007 model, it was pretty good. Liners split but it had done 120,0000 hard km's in Qatar. It gave me the impression on being more fragile than say a P80 R but enjoyed it while it lasted

If not for the scarcity of the cheap-tax-bracket-six-speed-autos in the UK I would consider another one.

edit

it was an S60R
    Like mine 14 days before the increase

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 14th January 2015)

Thread Information