Join Today
    Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks

ABS activating when it shouldn't - '99 C70

As per title.
    Hopefully taking my dad's old 1999 C70 T5 GT Auto off him to use as a daily run around. However, there is an issue.
    It has sat for 3 months. Needed a new battery and had 3 flat tyres. After a bit of faffing I hit the road only to find the ABS kicking in...

Only occurs at low speed and on gentle braking. Otherwise braking feels fine and in a straight line. No binding noise.
    When it kicks in, there is a grinding noise and pedal travels further - as per ABS, but with the feeling that something else is catching front offside corner I think.
    So far (as fed back by my dad - so could just be our family's usual poor communication) it seems the garage has found little wrong, and as he put it - "It only did it once for me" - which for me is one time too many.

Any ideas? Could uneven front tyre pressure confuse the system if we haven't inflated correctly? Can anything get broken when there is a flat? - we had to tow out of the garage with the tyre still flat.

Regards,
    Ian

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Usual suspects -
    • Damaged loom supplying the sensors,
    • Missing teeth, dirty or cracked reluctor rings,
    • ABS ECU dry joints.

DTCs should point you in the right direction.

Still repairing the ECUs if you're interested.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Squirtydog (Wednesday 12th November 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Sounds like a badly corroded or cracked reluctor ring, just give them all a good going over with a wire brush, and check them for cracks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Squirtydog (Wednesday 12th November 2014)

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Usual suspects -
    • Damaged loom supplying the sensors,
    • Missing teeth, dirty or cracked reluctor rings,
    • ABS ECU dry joints.

DTCs should point you in the right direction.

Still repairing the ECUs if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Sounds like a badly corroded or cracked reluctor ring, just give them all a good going over with a wire brush, and check them for cracks.
    Thanks guys. I'll see what they come up with. Hopefully it'll be a quick fix. Car is rough around the edges at just less that 200k but hoping for a cheap (free) run around until funds allow me to replace the S60.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Got it in one chaps. Reluctor ring to blame. Having both fronts replaced. Looks like a job I might tackle myself if I had the car here, but a few hours labour isn't much to get the car back on the road.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Squirtydog For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 21st November 2014)

Thread Information