Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts

V70 P2 fitting subwoofer factory stock unit.

Just though I would post a bit of a how I got on fitting a factory subwoofer to my V70 P2

First thing to look at is is the car prewired If it the car will have this harness as shown.

The sub unit has its own amp built in,the harness plugs into the amp.

When fitting the sub to a car without one you will need a new Spare wheel clamp

Also the holder for the jack.

On my car the jack holder did need a good bit of timing to get it to fit.

The underside needed 6 mm removed and the top edge needed 10 mm removed to get the boot floor cover to close so it's flat,just to say the sub does sit on the jack holder.

The sub comes with a carpet with a foam stuck on the under side which sits on the battery.

The amp has a small knob next to the harness plug so that amount bass can be adjusted separately to the head unit knob.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 9th November 2014)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    How does it sound?
    Thanks
    Martyn

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    How does it sound?
    Good point,if the gain on the sub is on full I would say it's like a boy racer in his favourite car park on Saturday night.

To suit my ears the gain knob is set at around 20% and does a very nice job quite subtle at that point but not rattling and car pieces.
    Worth fitting but I don't think it's worth around the £400 to get it fitted,but Volvo no longer sell them so it's secondhand units only now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Nice. My amp gain is set to 50%, the middle click. Also I have the bass on the HU set to 50%. Rich, crisp without making your ears bleed.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Just noticed the cooling fan inside the amp is getting a bit loud so opened up the case to get the fan size.

The fan size is 50x50x10 mm 12v which has a 3 pin plug fitted.

Cheap to buy from the eBay. £2.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mm-5cm-I...item51cbc7ef3c
    Last edited by Harvey; Saturday 7th March 2015 at 17:33.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Don't you remember my thread on this last year!? I changed mine but mines getting noisy again. Going to get a better quality one from maplin.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Just though I would post a bit of a how I got on fitting a factory subwoofer to my V70 P2

First thing to look at is is the car prewired If it the car will have this harness as shown.

The sub unit has its own amp built in,the harness plugs into the amp.

When fitting the sub to a car without one you will need a new Spare wheel clamp

Also the holder for the jack.

On my car the jack holder did need a good bit of timing to get it to fit.

The underside needed 6 mm removed and the top edge needed 10 mm removed to get the boot floor cover to close so it's flat,just to say the sub does sit on the jack holder.

The sub comes with a carpet with a foam stuck on the under side which sits on the battery.

The amp has a small knob next to the harness plug so that amount bass can be adjusted separately to the head unit knob.
    Your not wrong about the triming, it's like it's made not to fit!

Still all done now, thankfully found a new old stock (virtually) from a demo car that had it taken out after 32 miles from new.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Your not wrong about the triming, it's like it's made not to fit!
    Purchased one of these yesterday, thought it would be a 5 minute job to fit,obviously not,thought my spare wheel clamp sat too high for a start,plus the jack is in the way!

Hope the sound qualities worth it.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Yeah sounds pretty good, just purchase the parts listed above

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

Soulboy (Thursday 5th May 2016)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Yes made not to fit very strange !

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    I had to trim off a lot more than you did by the looks of it, but it all fits now, maybe I could have squashed mine down a bit or they've changed design slightly.

Phat box to fit now

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have one to install and will also have to install all the cabling.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    So I assumed my car would have the sub wiring but it seems that plod cars don't,I automatically thought this was the plug but it's different,any ideas what this is for?Name:  IMG_0531[1].JPG
Views: 0
Size:  29.1 KB

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I believe that's the REM connector for the stock tow bar, if fitted, Or trailer electrics. Mine has that connector too and I do have the stock subwoofer!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Soulboy (Monday 16th May 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Can anyone confirm if this subwoofer will work with an aftermarket head unit?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaltoast View Post
    Sorry no idea, do you have the harness-plug in the boot ? Are you still using the audio amp that volvo fitted ?.
    I believe the audio signal comes from the rear speakers , I know some people have fitted these but they didn't have a trigger signal to turn the amp on when they fitted the harness themselves.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Sorry no idea, do you have the harness-plug in the boot ? Are you still using the audio amp that volvo fitted ?.
    I believe the audio signal comes from the rear speakers , I know some people have fitted these but they didn't have a trigger signal to turn the amp on when they fitted the harness themselves.
    I could be wrong but I thought you needed the software update to make the sub work (when fitting in normal STD head unit), I do believe the software is no longer available.

I never had this issues as had everything needed, just thought I'd mention.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought you needed the software update to make the sub work (when fitting in normal STD head unit), I do believe the software is no longer available.

I never had this issues as had everything needed, just thought I'd mention.
    No software is required. The subs just plug into the stock harness, located in the boot, attached to the rear of the boot floor between the bumper and spare wheel. If your car does not have the harness, then it will not work.

The Subwoofers own Amplifier is not recognised by the CAN network as a module, therefore no software required.

I highly recommend this subwoofer in any V70 that has the harness fitted. They do transform the sound you hear and will enable you to hear low notes in your music that you, otherwise, would not hear on the stock Mid range speakers. It will also enable you to 'unload' some of the bass from the rest of the car's mid range speakers.

Like Harvey says, because the Sub has it's own dedicated Amp, the signal must come from the rear speakers, be it read door or rear tweeters.

It may, therefore, be easy to retrofit any other subwoofer enclosure with separate amplifier. You'd just have to make sure you're using the same impedance.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 16th January 2017 at 11:15.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaltoast View Post
    Theoretically, Yes!

If you're car has the harness that fits the Subwoofer in the boot, then the system will work with an aftermarket HU.
    You'll just need to do your homework first and check whether the aftermarket HU internal amp is compatible with the STOCK car set up. Last thing you wanna do is blow the amp/s fitted in the car and or the subwoofer.
    I'm not an audiophile but i like to hear good music and you can only 'hear' good music with a proper speaker and amp setup.
    The stock system in the V70R/S60R was developed by Dynaudio so it does sound pretty awesome over the standard system. Any alterations away from stock will either worsen or marginally improve the sound.
    IMHO, you're better off using a stock HU.

You are, of course, aware of the stock HU's 'hidden' graphic equalizer settings.....enabling you to 'fine tune' your system?

This user has no status

Thanks
    My car wasn't pre-wired but I managed to buy a used wiring harness online, downloaded the Volvo instructions and it took me about 3 hours to have everything working.
    When buying the wiring harness need to make sure if it's for your year model.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ric@rdo For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Monday 16th January 2017),LeeT5 (Monday 16th January 2017)

Thread Information