Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

S60 T5 Steering Arms and Track rod ends?

Car in question is a 2001 S60 t5.

Just noticed a massive issue on the car, it's toe-in on both sides quite badly, +/-3 deg each side. The real issue is that the ends are adjusted as far as they will go, I think what has happened is that the previous owner has installed the wrong type.

A quick call to Volvo and apparently there are 4 different types, I think it can be narrowed down to 2 within my age range. Going to cost £300 all in just for parts. Slightly strapped for cash at the moment so called a motor factors which were much more competitively priced at around £60 all in, but did agree that there were different sizes within the range and that they had no idea which ones were right unless I brought the old ones in. I think you can see the problem here... I don't have the correct size in my car so that won't really be very helpful.

Probably should just bite the bullet and get the OEM parts next week for some peace of mind, but does anybody have any info on this?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Have a word with Janie at partsforvolvosonline.com, He'll be able to confirm but I think these are what you're after.

The chances are, it's one or the other you'll need, rather than changing the lot.

track rod ends

track rods
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum by the way. Member for 4 years and this is your first post. Must be some kind of record

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Ive got listed 2 different Rack ends, surly you just want the longer of the 2?

That being the case get the factor to get both in and measure them, Then buy the longer of the 2

SMI steering rack
    ZF steering rack

Above is the reason for the choice btw
    Last edited by merc85; Thursday 2nd October 2014 at 11:25.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post

That being the case get the factor to get both in and measure them, Then buy the longer of the 2
    Don't you mean the shorter of the two, if theyr adjusted as far in as they'll go and it's still towing in.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    It might be worth mentioning Merc brought some hand cleaner in a large tub with dispenser at a good price.

If he's coming Saturday maybe other are in need maybe he could offer again? I still have half left it was such a good buy.

Not usually large get togethers of this size

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    It sprang to mind whilst reading the thread.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Don't you mean the shorter of the two, if theyr adjusted as far in as they'll go and it's still towing in.
    Sorry claymore yes thats exactly what i meant, Cheers bud

This user has no status

Thanks

SMI steering rack
    ZF steering rack

Above is the reason for the choice btw
    Thanks, great info.

I suppose if there are only two options it should be fairly easy to deduce the correct type. Is there a quick way of telling what steering rack I have visually or by part number?

Not to worry if you don't have that info on hand, should be able to work it out if I bring them down. Just wondering if maybe someone replaced a steering rack on the car previously which might throw me off if I do go down the OEM route.

@M-R-P Sorry not sure how to multiquote on here, but lol yeah it is strange, I was almost certain I had posted here before. I always get a birthday message from the forum, I must have lurked in the past. Thanks for the welcome

As for replacing everything, I am just not happy with the setup, it's all a bit iffy and the current ones are pretty seized. If I grab them from the 3rd party and the tolerances aren't quite as good as OEM then at least I know everything should match up better as well, I could do it about 6 times over for the price of OEM anyway lol. As long as I can get a good alignment I'll be happy, the car is getting on a bit, maybe not worth spending a fortune on it.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    The Rack usually has the Maker's Logo/mark on it either on the Pinion or the body of the Unit

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Seeing as we are talking my price on these would be

Rackend each £17.50 (zf)
    Rackend each £11.50 (smi)

Tie rod end LH £11.75
    Tie rod end RH £11.75

Price inc vat, could bring to the RR day or post (this would be extra)

Ive got 3 Hand cleaner's atm Steve, @ £14.00 each

This user has no status

Thanks
    The Rack usually has the Maker's Logo/mark on it either on the Pinion or the body of the Unit
    Thanks, probably just being lazy. Will have to get under the car today and have a look before I make a move. Just want to get it right, only have access to a ramp and alignment machine at certain times lol, so it will pay to get it right.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and great info, I'll probably get around to acquiring and fitting the parts next week when I have some more free time. I'll post my findings here when it's done in case some other poor fool is going through the same thing.

Cheers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paddys09 For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Thursday 2nd October 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paddys09 View Post

As for replacing everything, I am just not happy with the setup, it's all a bit iffy and the current ones are pretty seized. If I grab them from the 3rd party and the tolerances aren't quite as good as OEM then at least I know everything should match up better as well, I could do it about 6 times over for the price of OEM anyway lol. As long as I can get a good alignment I'll be happy, the car is getting on a bit, maybe not worth spending a fortune on it.
    There's the question you have to ask yourself, before (like many of us here) you end up on a slippery slope, going all out in an effort to bring an old car up to modern standards. I've spent 4 years and thousands of pounds tarting up an old plod wagon with (now) 213500 miles on it, so I can speak from experience. When you get one of these cars up to scratch, they are awesome but the cost and effort soon adds up.

Just on a side note, and going back on topic, have you checked the wishbone bushes? if they collapse (which they do) they'll pull the wheels in a bit.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Have a word with Janie at partsforvolvosonline.com, He'll be able to confirm but I think these are what you're after.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thanks
    Sod off you, it's been a hard week

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

17. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

V70 Graham (Thursday 2nd October 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    There's the question you have to ask yourself, before (like many of us here) you end up on a slippery slope, going all out in an effort to bring an old car up to modern standards. I've spent 4 years and thousands of pounds tarting up an old plod wagon with (now) 213500 miles on it, so I can speak from experience. When you get one of these cars up to scratch, they are awesome but the cost and effort soon adds up.

Just on a side note, and going back on topic, have you checked the wishbone bushes? if they collapse (which they do) they'll pull the wheels in a bit.
    Thanks, yeah I initially thought it might have been the wishbone bushes, a bit of a testament to Volvo build quality they are actually all pretty good, not bad considering it must have been like this for quite some time.

It's definitely more than that though as the passenger side has no room for adjustment wheres the drivers side does has plenty of threads left, it's all seized up though and could do with replacing anyway. I'm pretty sure its the passenger side rod that's too long. Going to replace the lot with 3rd party parts, doesn't work out too expensive. Don't worry not going to go overboard on the car, just want to end it's suffering a bit and see where it goes. There was all sorts of little issues with it by the previous owner, but it's been getting well looked after by me now. I've no problem fixing the small things, if something big goes I'll cut my losses.

@Merc85 Cheers, as above, I've worked out the culprit. I'm a bit further afield in NI so going to the meet is a bit out of the question, this time anyway. Probably better off getting them at the local in case there are any more issues, probably not worth the hassle for you either otherwise I would as you have been very helpful on the matter. Will keep you in mind if something a little more straight forward comes up.

Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to paddys09 For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Thursday 2nd October 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    No problem paddys09, hope you get it sorted, its good forum here buddy lots of peeps will try n help where they can

21. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

paddys09 (Monday 3rd November 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just an update, I hate it when you are searching the net and a thread goes cold before you figure out the solution.

Got the correct rods and ends installed and the car is now aligned perfectly, the P/S inner was definitely the culprit.

'Thanks everyone' - My Tyres, 2014

And a big thank you from myself.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to paddys09 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Tuesday 14th October 2014)

Thanks
    Happy days

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information