Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Swede demon
    Thanks

Project T5R "The Gimp"

So decided id make a thread now that i have time to actually work on my car! considering i bought it and immediately went to Germany in it, broke it, fixed it and got home again XD anyway this will be the project and general maintenance thread where i may need a lil help but i know you guys probably have forgot more than ill ever know about 850's will also need some parts off people as its the chase of perfection but im a long shot off. a lot of things bug me about my car so.

Things i have already done sorta off camera

Replaced rear lights with V70 lights (Clear tops)
    Removed the hideous eyelash things
    Replaced 1 side roof rail (Its not brilliant cause its a crash damaged rail so it wont sit flush and the seals are pretty shot)
    Replaced Rear boot trim with one that has had a repair kit on it so it doesn't rattle all over the place
    Replaced the horid blue 7 seat conversion it had with proper T5R black rear boot boards

Planned things to do? Many. many many things and i wont be stopping until ive reached the perfect car for me. even if it means replacing every single bolt, seal, clip and plastic grommet (Curse them all to hell)
    Performance wise? im wanting it as a "Fast daily" something fun yet still usable until i have a house with a double garage that i can take the 850 off the road n do a full strip down restoration. so im open to suggestions on performance parts

Anyway enough of me Yapping heres some pics for you all! ill upload more as i resize them and general find where i put them on my mess of a pc

When i bought the car, note the crappy eyelash things

Name:  10577087_1447575392194832_3234823367016474231_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  94.5 KB

Original blue seats

Name:  1551739_1447575242194847_6983430883210060971_n.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    First of all, replace the tcv & get it mapped before messing with boost etc.
    I found out the hard way!!
    Best of luck mate, these cars are very addictive as you already know.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Swede demon
    Thanks
    oh yeah i got a PCV kit sat waiting for it. planning a major service soon just to give everything the best chance before messing with anything, pcv system, full oil, coolant and gearbox oil change/flush, cambelt, stage 0 tune up and such
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    So another small update as of late my 850 started making a seriously nasty grinding noise and a whine when you would rev it so dug a little deeper and found it to be a 2 part noise, there was a low drone on idle with the accesory belt removed and a whine when you revved it when the belt was on. the tentioner had bit the dust n i decided whatever was making the noise behined the cam cover needed to go too with a entire genuine volvo timing belt kit and a new water pump for good measure!

This is where it gets interesting as i got all the parts. took it to work and began with a few pieces of advice from some members on here (Thanks jamesT5R and paulT5estate a bunch!) mostly came off with ease apart from that T45 thats right by the frame! (Curse it to hell) pulled the water pump off and it says volvo on it? when i was sold the car off the ebay listing direct "Car has had a new gates water pump and timing belt kit done at 160,000 miles) this pump was a volvo pump, on its last legs and the belt? jeez the belt was about ready to snap with all the cracks and wear it had on it.

also was sold to me as been fully polly bushed. nope nothing touched anti roll bars on its last legs most bushings perished and explains 99% of the noises i hear when driving so, just means i got a even more stock base to work with i guess.

after working through the night and the help of a few ex car mechanics at work we got the belt back on timed up and shes running even more sweet than when i bought it. no engine shake at all now and so far (Touch wood) no leaks at all.

in other news i got my P1 V70 roof rails for it, the nice big chunky ones in superb condition with all mounting points, non rusted clips and those lil plastic things for £55. but the nice supprise when i opened the box was the fact the guy also included those window trims with the rain gutters! score so now it will tidy the look up tonnes ill get a pic up when they are installed and the car has had a wash n polish to remove some scratches caused by recent things!

Name:  IMG-20141024-WA0003.jpg
Size:  146.4 KB
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    So heres a small update and picture fest for everyone of the work so far this year. mainly been to busy/lazy to edit the pics down to forum size! so i installed the new chunky style roof bars off a V70 P1 and gave it another good polish that removed a lot of the scratches and dings the car had. i have a few more parts to install but next is definetly a good service, shes done a lot of miles in the 4 months ive owned it (8000 to be precise) and needs a good working over!

Name:  20140927_133037.jpg
Size:  480.0 KBName:  20140927_135510.jpg
Size:  476.9 KBName:  20140927_144146.jpg
Size:  504.3 KBName:  20140927_152206.jpg
Size:  608.6 KBName:  20141109_132121.jpg
Size:  387.7 KB
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Swede demon
    Thanks
    Been a while so ill have a lil update. since the last post ive just been slowly fixing its issues one by one. replaced all the chrome engine covers with standard covers (they are not exactly my tastes). its had a new DP + cat to make it pass mot. and after that it passed with flying colors and no advisories. only one was for a oil leak that's where i spilled power steering fluid n couldn't be arsed wiping it up.

bought a brand new load bed cover from Volvo as the tarp i had that didn't retract was starting to seriously annoy me. put the new clear style indicators on the side. V70 interior light setup with the black switches. also sprayed the grille black for a slightly more evil/updated look (considering i dont want to spend nearly £70 on a egg crate grille from ipd) its had a few new things like oil cap seal to stop my oil leaking issue. the wiper motors repaired by me and installed back with new blades and all works. minus me breaking one of the jets where the rubber hose slips over the nipple. whoops

its also had a tomcat splitter installed onto it and a polly bush lower torque mount that has sorted most of the engine wobble that was discovered at HLM's dyno day. think the front engine pad isnt too healthy but that will be next on the list.

so heres a few pics for the people who still read this =)

The Scrapyard Saved 740

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Smart car, looked lovely at the HLM Dyno day.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

hemihusky (Sunday 28th December 2014)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    some more odds n ends came for it today in the shape of A IPD short ram intake kit. i know a lot will probably say why not bsr? well. to me the IPD kit just looks a slightly cleaner install and stops my OCD flaring up. also after talking to the guy about fitment issues (due to my early style ABS unit) he gave me a good discount on it to 150 usd for the kit rather than 200 so cant really grumble at that! will install it on the car when the roads stop being caked in ££££ as i dont want all that over my cone filter thankya!

the box of wonder!

a blurry cone filter appears!

small rubber sealing strip (highly doubt this touches the bonnet but hey will stop ya slicing your fingers on the razor sharp metal edge!)

general hardware and instructions bag

the actual unit itself. has a nice almost brushed finish to it and is reasonably deacent quality. cant realy grumble

nice lil sticker to go with it

hardware to re-mount the boost control solonoid and MAF

and the instructions i may refer to after ive buggered it up!

The Scrapyard Saved 740

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Saturday 24th January 2015),MoleT-5R (Friday 23rd January 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    right another lil update. after a visit to a forum member on another forum my car got some new shoes and rubber with a swap for a set of wheels i bought off fleabay that were gonna be my temp fix while i got my titans sorted as im bored of the dark dark dark grey look they have. so it now sits on propus rims graphite centers with a polished lip and to me anyway dont look half bad!

and i installed that IPD kit and only lost 4 outta my 5 fingers on each hand. it is a VERRY tight fit i had to remove that protective stuff off the battery cables its that tight fit but it looks rather nice. and gives a nice woosh during gearchanges and on boost (the 2 or 3 psi the turbo can still cough into my engine)

other than that just been doing general maintinence to it. gearbox oil soon to be re-done and a few more odds n sods that are bugging me still

anyway heres some pics as i know we do like them around here

the 3 ovlovs all lined up after a wash and rim swap (the C70 has my fleabay wheels)

my wolf wagon on the new propus rims

time to fit this fandangled thing of air induction

old quiet turbo airbox can go bye bye into the garage that is like narnia atm. things go in but never come out. ill be damned if i can find my V70 lights again

time to scrub the general area up. i was expecting a lot worse to be honest!

aaaand all done

The Scrapyard Saved 740

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Friday 30th January 2015)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hemihusky View Post
    right another lil update. after a visit to a forum member on another forum my car got some new shoes and rubber with a swap for a set of wheels i bought off fleabay that were gonna be my temp fix while i got my titans sorted as im bored of the dark dark dark grey look they have. so it now sits on propus rims graphite centers with a polished lip and to me anyway dont look half bad!

and i installed that IPD kit and only lost 4 outta my 5 fingers on each hand. it is a VERRY tight fit i had to remove that protective stuff off the battery cables its that tight fit but it looks rather nice. and gives a nice woosh during gearchanges and on boost (the 2 or 3 psi the turbo can still cough into my engine)

other than that just been doing general maintinence to it. gearbox oil soon to be re-done and a few more odds n sods that are bugging me still

anyway heres some pics as i know we do like them around here

the 3 ovlovs all lined up after a wash and rim swap (the C70 has my fleabay wheels)

my wolf wagon on the new propus rims

time to fit this fandangled thing of air induction

old quiet turbo airbox can go bye bye into the garage that is like narnia atm. things go in but never come out. ill be damned if i can find my V70 lights again

time to scrub the general area up. i was expecting a lot worse to be honest!

aaaand all done

looking good there young husky, is the filter set-up feeling more responsive over standard or just the enjoyment of a more rauty noise on the throttle...??

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

hemihusky (Friday 30th January 2015)

Swede demon
    Thanks
    the noise is a rather fun point currently mainly me girning everywhere with the noise but it does seem to pick its feet up on boost a little faster than before. i mean as much as a standard map can but at least i can say the first "performance" (if you can call it that) mod has been done. tempted by either a new volvo or IPD TCV just to keep the boost steady for when i do get it mapped n wind it up a lil
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    the noise is a rather fun point currently mainly me girning everywhere with the noise but it does seem to pick its feet up on boost a little faster than before. i mean as much as a standard map can but at least i can say the first "performance" (if you can call it that) mod has been done. tempted by either a new volvo or IPD TCV just to keep the boost steady for when i do get it mapped n wind it up a lil
    not a bad call, but I'd make sure all the pipework is up to scratch before adding a new tcv if the current one is old or suspect, a stage 0 tune would be a good building block if it's not been done already

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

Swede demon
    Thanks
    i did a stage 0 about 1k miles ago ish and that got it running a lot smoother. the pipework i would change as a standard anyway and all the clips n things. im either looking at the silicone stuff ipd do thats color coded (would be nice for later on in life when ive forgotten what they do as id tag them up) or is it viper performance? that do that re-enforced silicone hose that you can get in 5mm as a vac line i dont know if that would affect any response greatly? i cant imagine those lines would see a terrible amount of bulging n such.
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    i did a stage 0 about 1k miles ago ish and that got it running a lot smoother. the pipework i would change as a standard anyway and all the clips n things. im either looking at the silicone stuff ipd do thats color coded (would be nice for later on in life when ive forgotten what they do as id tag them up) or is it viper performance? that do that re-enforced silicone hose that you can get in 5mm as a vac line i dont know if that would affect any response greatly? i cant imagine those lines would see a terrible amount of bulging n such.
    I'm hoping to reduce the amount of silicone hose under the bonnet and replace the unions with quick release type fitting as used in the truck industry on the small airlines and use similar hard pvc piping, thinking it will look a bit different to the norm and possibly eliminate some small problems at the same time

Swede demon
    Thanks
    yeah that could work. also think i may need to get mine back up on jacks to see where all my oils dissapearing too. my drives on a slant so when i check it its never quite right. but i do seem to loose a little over time and my sump n gearbox around the diff is splattered in oil. so turbo drain or rear main seal perhaps?
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    yeah that could work. also think i may need to get mine back up on jacks to see where all my oils dissapearing too. my drives on a slant so when i check it its never quite right. but i do seem to loose a little over time and my sump n gearbox around the diff is splattered in oil. so turbo drain or rear main seal perhaps?
    replaced the turbo return pipe seals on both the olive t-5r and the v70r awd all nice and dry around there now

Swede demon
    Thanks
    ill give that a shot then as i think that a cheaper. and easier option than rear main seal. can the turbo return pipe be dragged out with the turbo still in the car? i know it it was a engine at work itd be nope
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Nice thread, thanks.

I notice you mention that you took your car on a dyno and it has the standard turbo and map, just out of interest how did it fare?

I'd like to know how many miles it's done and how close to book power it remained.

i.e. Do T5 Volvos still make their book power after a 'few' miles?

PS - I know the actual number isn't really reflective but comparison to other cars on the day would be really interesting.

Swede demon
    Thanks
    well heres the chart =) the car's done 180K now and on this dyno run it hadnt had a service in a bit as i had been to germany n back. no stage 0 tune. on 95 crappo fuel with a dieing coilpack and it pulled 206 so not terrably bad. im going on RS tunings rollers soon with a freind just to see after my work what it has brought it back up to.

brand shiny new my car had 240. but i really wasnt kind to it at HLM so im sure it has a few horses left under the bonnet

Last edited by hemihusky; Friday 30th January 2015 at 13:09.
    The Scrapyard Saved 740

24. The Following User Says Thank You to hemihusky For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 30th January 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Thanks, sounds realistic given your comments.

It would be nice to know if a service and a little care here and there brings back the missing ponies, keep us posted

It seems a little strange that torque and max power are lower on the second run than they are on the third, but the second run made most clutch power, maybe someone that knows what they're talking about could help me understand this?
    Last edited by kmb; Friday 30th January 2015 at 13:34.

Thread Information