Join Today
    bored of thinking!!

Thanks

blue smoke on accelaration, grey blue on idle and over run????

hey i have just fitted a 16t to the R auto yesterday as i thought the turbo seals had gone, due to blue smoke when its warm when you set off start to acclarate.

anyway its a whole lot worse now. it was fine until it warmed up maybe just a little blue smoke but then on over run and idle i was putting huge plumes of grey smoke out. it doesnt really have a smell to it. although did feel greasy and damp.

i tryed it again today and the same its fine when you start it and as it warms up you get a grey blue smoke when you acclarate and when you let off it puts a big plume out.

i have noticed a bit of in out play in the shaft which i didnt notice before i fitted it. but was asured that there was no smoke or anything else from the car it came from.

its just had a full pcv system fitted aswell.

im going to check plugs and compression tommoz at work. but there's no sign of oil and water mixxing

any idea's please

cheers in advance

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    What's the history on the turbo you fitted? it's either just burning off excess oil left in the exhaust or the turbo is worse than the one you took off.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    well its from a c70 i think that immi bought and he asures me that there was no smoke coming from that car and it pulled like a train. i havnt bought it, we swapped them over at his yestereday.

but before i changed the turbo's over it would only smoke a bit of blue when it was warm as you started to accelarate. which i still need to fixx lol

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    What Claymore said!

Take the plugs out and check the condition. If there is a load of white crusty deposits on the plug tips then the engine is burning oil in the cylinders. If the plugs are clean and dry and look normal then it's likely burning the oil from the exhaust.

If you get whisps of blue smoke after being off throttle and decelerating down hill for a while, then it's more likely oil leaking past your valve stem seals.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 5th October 2014 at 18:00.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by no1tosh View Post
    well its from a c70 i think that immi bought and he asures me that there was no smoke coming from that car and it pulled like a train. i havnt bought it, we swapped them over at his yestereday.

but before i changed the turbo's over it would only smoke a bit of blue when it was warm as you started to accelarate. which i still need to fixx lol
    With respect, he would say that otherwise you wouldn't have bought it! If I said; "nah mate, it smokes like a bar steward on cold start and the boost is nothing to write home about"....would you buy it?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Some things I would never buy second hand and Turbo's are one of them. Your better off, sending your own turbo away to a professional outfit to have refurbished. At least then you get guaranteed work and a tested turbo (normally up to 100,000 rpm). That way you can rule out the turbo when fitting to your car.
    You've clearly got some diagnosing to do now because there's a chance it might not be the turbo after all!

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Have you spoke to Tony about it? You know Tony wouldn't sell you anything he thought wasn't 100% right.

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    oh ya i understand where your coming from and tbh if it was anyone else i would agree but immi is the nicest guy and like i say i didnt buy it, we swapped it free of charge because the car started puffing a little blue smoke the day before i was gonna pick it up.
    he said he was selling me a straight car so hes doiing everything he can to sort it for me.

but i shall check the plugs tommoz at work as all my tools are locked away there lol.

i took it out before and i does seem to have calmed down a little. but once it warmed i saw a little puff of blue when set off from the lights and when i let off a couple of seconds later on the over run a big puff of pail grey/blue came out.

im starting to remember why i fell out with my last volvo

This user has no status

Thanks
    was there any oil present in the intake pipes ? have you cleaned the intercooler out , just a thought incase the old turbo was passing a bit of oil

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    ohhh i know he wouldn't pal, ya we've been texting back and forth since i left his yeasterday.

in no way am i saying its his fault or hes given me a dud because like said above i know he wouldnt do that to his worst enimy. were both just trying to get to the bottom of it all.

knowing immi hes putting in more effort than me lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to no1tosh For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Sunday 5th October 2014)

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    there was a light smear very light though. what do you clean the intercooler with and how? ive never done it before.

ive checked the drain hole and thats clear

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    right well i took the plugs out and cyilinder 1 was oily black the rest had hey coloured tips and porcoline,
    but with oily black around the base of the plug the metal part.

i did the glove check on the filler cap and dip stick and it sucked it down, when i reved it a bit it seemed to blow it up a tiny bit and little puff of smoke came from the dipstick again only when revved.

the exhaust fumes are grey with a brown hue to them if that helps? i dont know what the brown resembles.

i also noticed alot of condensation in the exhaust tip and the bumper above it.

so if its a turbo rebuild i need where and what kind of cost am i looking at just incase it is the turbo?

cheers for the help

Thread Information