Join Today

Thread: engine rebuild

This user has no status
    Thanks

engine rebuild

Now that my kitchen is fitted and I finally have space in the garage the engine and gearbox will be coming out of my 850 t5 for a rebuild.

It will be a project and a very big learning curve.
    The engine has 211k miles on it. And I'm sure the valve stem seals are gone.

I'm planning a full strip down; re hone the bores. New rings, valve stem seals, re seat the valves, timing belt kit..

Is there anything else I should be doing while I'm in there? Will it have the thinner rods? It's a 1995 2.3 t5.
    If so shall I replace them? What with?

I want it to be reliable as it will then go in my v70r as it's suddenly started using oil now as well but I can't afford to not have it on the road at the moment.

With regards to the gearbox, as I stated this will be going in my v70r. Will i just use the standard t5 flywheel and a new standard clutch? Or will I have to get something suited to the R? (It's an auto so has a 16t as standard which will be staying for the time being, after a rebuild)

And last but not least where is the best place to get piston rings, valve stem seals etc..

Thanks in advance guys.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    I would definitely go for a set of H beam rods as you have the engine apart.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    As the engine has done 211k miles you mite find the bores has worn.

If they are you will have to bore them out to oversize 0.4 and buy new pistons from volvo, expensive.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Would it not be easier just to throw a 2nd hand lump in it?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 24th September 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I want to rebuild it as a project/something to do. Most complex thing I've done to an engine was fit a timing belt kit on my old gti-6.

I'm a plumber by trade but more interested in cars and working on them.

I will do a compression test before I start. What sort of readings will I be looking for?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I am not knocking your enthusiasm, merely speaking from experience.
    The worn-out 211K engine is certainly not where I would start. Recondition a decent 2nd hand one if you are that bored. Unless you own your own engineering workshop then the majority of the head & block work etc will need to be sent away. I speak from bitter experience with rounded head bolts and other nasty gotchas.

Even the parts cleaning tank I got for Xmas was largely made redundant because my engine builder has his own acid cleaning tank etc etc to do a better job than I can.
    My sage advice is this. If all you want is reliable driving then by all means do an engine swap. Clean the outside of it - time the engine up - recon the PCV, turbo and other external ancillaries. Replace/recon the PAS, oil & water pumps There is plenty to do & to learn.

The only reason to my mind to open the engine up is to upgrade the parts within. Fixing an old knacker is more expensive. Use the saved money to improve the turbo or exhaust or suspension or something.

If you are still not convinced then I will happily sell my almost unused parts cleaning tank & engine stand for a good/fair price.

On my gunnar compression tester with all the plugs out - I want to see between 10 and 12 and most importantly that the compression is relatively equal across all.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Wednesday 24th September 2014 at 14:42.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

oblark (Wednesday 24th September 2014)

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I am not knocking your enthusiasm, merely speaking from experience.
    The worn-out 211K engine is certainly not where I would start. Recondition a decent 2nd hand one if you are that bored. Unless you own your own engineering workshop then the majority of the head & block work etc will need to be sent away. I speak from bitter experience with rounded head bolts and other nasty gotchas.

Even the parts cleaning tank I got for Xmas was largely made redundant because my engine builder has his own acid cleaning tank etc etc to do a better job than I can.
    My sage advice is this. If all you want is reliable driving then by all means do an engine swap. Clean the outside of it - time the engine up - recon the PCV, turbo and other external ancillaries. Replace/recon the PAS, oil & water pumps There is plenty to do & to learn.

The only reason to my mind to open the engine up is to upgrade the parts within. Fixing an old knacker is more expensive. Use the saved money to improve the turbo or exhaust or suspension or something.

If you are still not convinced then I will happily sell my almost unused parts cleaning tank & engine stand for a good/fair price.

On my gunnar compression tester with all the plugs out - I want to see between 10 and 12 and most importantly that the compression is relatively equal across all.
    How much do you want for the engine stand ?

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    40 quid and I will bring it to the dyno day if you like?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you do rebuild the engine while you have the sump off change the oil O rings and make sure you fully clean out the PCV oil drain channel that goes through the sump to its base before turning upwards - Mike

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    40 quid and I will bring it to the dyno day if you like?
    I`ll see at the dyno day with 40 of our finest pound notes

13. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 30th September 2014)

Thread Information