Join Today
    Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts

How to set up your own blog

I thought I'd go through a process of setting up your own blogging site. This may sound like a big, scary and costly concept but in reality its very easy and potentially free.

Wordpress is one of the if not the most popular blogging platforms and Wordpress can be provided on a "hosted for you" or "find hosting yourself" basis. (There are other platforms available, feel free to research).

Hosted for you is very quick and easy though you may find limits to the plugins and themes you can use. Great if you want a free, easy to setup blog.

Visit https://wordpress.com/

Set up an account.

Done. Just add some content.

Finding hosting yourself method requires finding, buying, building or begging some suitable web space. Wordpress requires PHP 5.2+ Server Side Scripting, MySQL 5+ Database and it is recommended to use Apache or Nginx web server. (Basically LAMP or WAMP environment, most cheap web hosting packages that support databases is probably LAMP).
    The web host may have an "easy to install" packager which will allow the installation of wordpress with one click.
    If not, instructions can be found at https://wordpress.org. (It takes about 5 minutes to install).
    Then just cram your blog with plugins, themes and content.

FAQ

Is it really this easy? Yes, try not to over think it.

Can I publish links to my website here? As long as there is no commercial interest, adverts, etc. If there is you would need trade status. If in doubt, the answer is no.

Why would I want a blog? A blog allows you to publish to the world without question. (Providing it meets laws, T&C's of the provider etc obviously).

Would anyone visit my blog? If you're asking this question, probably not.

It's very kind for you to offer this information, why would you? I aim to please and some people may be happy maintaining a blog. I'm in a good mood at the moment and some people just need help.

Do I need to worry about liabilities? Worry is a strong word. Use common sense, if you don't have any use someone elses.

Is this a wind up? The above will give you a working blog utilising a powerful and popular framework. I'm not sure why anyone would want to post anything "on the net" without the opportunity of having a knowledgeable community being able to appraise and potentially correct the content free of charge though.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

JUDGENINJA (Tuesday 23rd September 2014),MoleT-5R (Tuesday 23rd September 2014)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    I really don't understand blogs or what they are, so on that that basis I doubt I need one, but thanks for the how to the advice, it may come in handy if I find a use for one of these bloggy thingys......lol

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    I really don't understand blogs or what they are, so on that that basis I doubt I need one, but thanks for the how to the advice, it may come in handy if I find a use for one of these bloggy thingys......lol
    You could keep everyone up to date with all the repairs you did to your Volvo
    Last edited by Santa; Tuesday 23rd September 2014 at 21:00. Reason: Grammar Police
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

5. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

Sharkey R (Wednesday 24th September 2014)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    what bore the t#t$ off people more than I do now, think there are people out there who are better qualify at doing that than me, I'll leave it to them....lol

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I did start one but I did nothing interesting enough to keep it going (or even start it fully) :-(
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information