Join Today

Thread: drilled air box

the wait is nearly over
    Thanks

drilled air box

Hi all while cars in the gararge having ball joint done i thought id look at what mods i can do i've got panel filter and blanking plate so my question is when drilling the air box do we drill top half or bottom half and what size holes and how meny would you guys suggest cheers Ben.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Why?

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    I think its to allow greater airflow into the airbox. But... it'll be hot air from the engine compartment which is bad, and I think I read somewhere that the std airbox can handle sufficient air for around 300bhp anyway?
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Its an old NA trick, common in the VW scene, i dont think it has much effect with a turbo car, NA cars produce a bit more noise, the power difference is 0, the standard volvo airbox is a very good design if a little restrictive box/turbo pipe.
    Either get a panel filter or buy a quality induction kit.

the wait is nearly over
    Thanks
    cheers guys ive got a panel filter in was trying to get more noise that was all

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    I remember many a people not wanting heat soak from an induction kit so drilled there air box instead lol

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    All it'll do is make more noise.

The standard setup with paper filter is supposed to be good for up to 400bhp so I've been told.

I have no airbox, nor standard inlet piping.

It makes loads of fun noises

I'm not a chav, honest

No, really.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Oh yeah, drill the bottom half, below the filter - if you drill the top, it'll be the same as not having a filter at all
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Oh yeah, drill the bottom half, below the filter - if you drill the top, it'll be the same as not having a filter at all
    That sound like something someone else would do ;-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Wednesday 17th September 2014)

the wait is nearly over
    Thanks
    awesome cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Couldn`t resist this one.......

The V70 just sold to Jamest5r has the airbox i drilled with about 190 x 10mm holes.

Me doing my apprenticeship on N/A motors learnt me this trick ........but being on a turbo , as a turbo just pushes in what it can grab then if what air it pushes in is more easily available (via extra holes) then the result will be not so obstructive.....!!!!!!

It may or may not give extra horsepower just as a panel filter will not but it will make the engine pick up faster especially when further up in the revs...

It does not drag warm air into the air box as it sits directly over the gearbox from which cooler air is tumbled over from under the front of the car.....the cold inlet from the modified snow air scoop is still used in it`s original place.

The main reason that it feels better is because if you look at the pics. the air comes into the air box 3/4`s of the way along it and the air filter sits on the top so before holes the actual air filter only 3/4`s of it is used but on the drilled air box you can see holes to the left of the air feed where the filter sits on so therfore the air box is now delivering 100% of air and not 75%....

How do i know it works?...... because i had two airboxes before i decided to experiment and so i kept the drilled one and the original went in the bin!

Yes, on the early phase 1 V70 without the cabin filter under the scuttle as mine was the noise of the turbo on WOT is like an aero engine, absolutely marvellous, mind you it was an 18T as well. If you want more noise you just put the heater on the front vents and it sounds even better as the airflow comes straight in bypassing the heater matrix.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 960kg; Wednesday 17th September 2014 at 16:35.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Biff (Wednesday 17th September 2014),claymore (Wednesday 17th September 2014)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Drill it mate, even if it's only for the noise.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

This user has no status

Thanks
    Everyone knows that more noise = more power!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Everyone knows that more noise = more power!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Couldn`t resist this one.......

The V70 just sold to Jamest5r has the airbox i drilled with about 190 x 10mm holes.

Me doing my apprenticeship on N/A motors learnt me this trick ........but being on a turbo , as a turbo just pushes in what it can grab then if what air it pushes in is more easily available (via extra holes) then the result will be not so obstructive.....!!!!!!

It may or may not give extra horsepower just as a panel filter will not but it will make the engine pick up faster especially when further up in the revs...

It does not drag warm air into the air box as it sits directly over the gearbox from which cooler air is tumbled over from under the front of the car.....the cold inlet from the modified snow air scoop is still used in it`s original place.

The main reason that it feels better is because if you look at the pics. the air comes into the air box 3/4`s of the way along it and the air filter sits on the top so before holes the actual air filter only 3/4`s of it is used but on the drilled air box you can see holes to the left of the air feed where the filter sits on so therfore the air box is now delivering 100% of air and not 75%....

How do i know it works?...... because i had two airboxes before i decided to experiment and so i kept the drilled one and the original went in the bin!

Yes, on the early phase 1 V70 without the cabin filter under the scuttle as mine was the noise of the turbo on WOT is like an aero engine, absolutely marvellous, mind you it was an 18T as well. If you want more noise you just put the heater on the front vents and it sounds even better as the airflow comes straight in bypassing the heater matrix.
    Good to hear it does do some thing,But for me just a little OCD couldn't you have drilled holes in line and 4 per square, ok I know you can't see them when fitted but....

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Forget drilling holes, just fit an induction kit.......like this.......

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    lol first job for Jim, replace the airbox

Thread Information