Join Today

Thread: Exhaust options

This user has no status

Thanks

Exhaust options

Hi everyone again,

I'm still swaying about a remap ( Shark STILL haven't got back to me btw! lol ) but as I'm on a limited budget I've always been wondering what's the best option if I just wanted to make the exhaust sound better and enjoy using the power I have? I love the 5 cyclinder sound , but also not sure if it sounds so good on an Auto. I know a remap and exhaust go hand in hand but If I just go down the exhaust route what would you recommend? A friend who a mechanic suggested just removing the centre silencer or making it smaller but in my mind that could lead to drone.
    Anyone here just changed or altered the exhaust? There's the Jetex systems or the ones that Kalmar Union sell but that's spending nearly £400.
    All help gratefully received!

Steve

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Get a remap more cost effective and do exhaust when you have more of a budget mate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

Goldmember (Friday 12th September 2014)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    I wouldn't go removing boxes, I had a mish mash of pipes on my original v70 to start with & it sounded awful. It's an art getting the balance right & that's exactly why manufacturers invest millions in Research & Development.
    I've owned both Jetex & ferrita now & both are lovely sounding quality systems. If it's a drone free sound then I'd go for the Jetex but the ferrita is liveable (mrs biff hasn't moaned anyway).
    As for the map, will it be a custom map?
    Not wanting to undermine smithy but if your having a custom map then it might be best to throw on the add ons first ie induction or exhaust mods, fuel pump etc.
    I'm guessing the car is a p2 as you mention shark but other maps are raved about including Dream3r's maps who is a member on here.
    It might be worth dropping him a pm.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    If it is a P2, get a 2nd hand (or in my case 3rd hand) V70R/S60R exhaust and a downpipe with race cat. Guaranteed to fit and sounds great (if a little on the quiet side) and performance wise... Well, it's good enough for a 300bhp V70R
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies everyone so far.
    My car's a V70 2.5T '99 ( ME7 ) .
    I'm unsure about a remap as I'm not pushing the car at all , mainly due to the linearness of the LPT rather than "shove" if u know what I mean. I definitely think I'd appreciate using the revs if it sounded better and maybe don't need more performance.
    Interesting about the exhausts .. Isn't a P2 the bigger 2001> Volvos? If not I'd jump at the chance of a 2nd hand exhaust . I came from a Subaru background and was always swapping about centres and backboxes ..these x70s look a bit more complicated! i'm new to the Volvo tuning game and need an idiots guide to say fit x and y and you'll get z!
    If Ferrita or Jetex were about £100 cheaper I'd go for it but close to £400 is a bit silly for a better sound don't u think? Would be different if I had to change it due to rust or breakage but it is fine lol! Mind u I have fitted a Pipercross filter and if the exhaust gave me a few more ponies it wouldn't hurt.
    Keep the recommendations coming..
    Cheers again,
    Steve

This user has no status

Thanks
    Im in the same boat but I want to do exhaust and remap - Looking at atleast 1k for the pair! Volvo tuning is not cheap!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to muggins86 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Another vote for Jetex here, not actually as loud as I'd of liked, but made quite a difference, pulled so much better with it fitted. Looking forward to seeing what difference a decat makes!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweep For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    not helpful, but I made my own! about £150 in materials, just need to do the (rather over the top) 3" downpipe when I can afford a new turbo.
    If you want to be cheap and have the ability to, I see no harm in messing about with the exhaust, swap a centre for a straight section, see how you like it

also a £400 exhaust better be at least 304 stainless, shouldn't have to worry about rust for a long long time

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Henk For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    i put a tme back box on mine, gave a more noticeable burble, not too loud, juts a tad louder than standard. i then teamed that up with a decatted front pipe, and that has made it sound really nice, it is quite a bit louder than standard but it is bearable on long trips.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BigChuck For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just wait until a used one comes up if you want something cheaper.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm impatient as hell but since I don't have the £400 I'll keep scouring the classifieds here and VOC for a 2nd hand one .. they seem to be as rare as rocking horse u know what as the Phase 1's are getting older so less about.
    Also I tend to like a bolt-on system incase I change my mind rather than get a fabricator to cut out etc. I did that with a 3ltr H6 Outback I had which after I regretted it and there was no going back.
    Cheers,
    Steve

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    If you want cheap noise (now I know you're in a P1) replace the rear box with a bit of pipe. burble burble
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Goldmember (Saturday 13th September 2014)

Thread Information