Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, I'm sure JamesT5 has the best of intentions, but unfortunately hasn't got the practical knowledge himself, so just quotes info that he's read, unaware it's out of context.
    on the fence ????? but I know what you mean

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Playing devil's advocate, I'm sure JamesT5 has the best of intentions, but unfortunately hasn't got the practical knowledge himself, so just quotes info that he's read, unaware it's out of context.
    Also playing Devil's Advocate......Firstly, I'm sure many of us have commented on forums (not just this one) and passed off information in such a way as to be construed as fact, whilst it is only based on our own experience. I know I have. Some may have even repeated information that they have heard/read in an effort to be helpful. I know I have. I think the critical part is how you represent information - by all means comment freely and state opinions but think about how you write it. Making statements that sound like fact, when they are based on no first hand experience, no understanding of the subject matter, and are simply repeating other people's information is a dangerous game. How do you know that the source of information you are repeating is correct?

A forum like this should be a live and archival source of technical information (as well as a community). If the information is diluted by incorrect advice, then it loses it's value. Every member has a duty to be considerate to that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post

And I'm actually paying for this
    I'd be more worried about the majority of other content that you are paying for! I'll make no apology for being frank about this, but a large percentage of what I see posted on this forum is utter, utter ££££££££. And the thing is, the regulars on here know that too, and it suits them just fine (community is one thing, but is this a chat room, or a forum?). So it really grates on me when people have the cheek to tell James he shouldn't make a topic like this (and I'm not taking sides, just to be clear). I think many people need to start looking at their own input and applying some quality control before they dictate what others can or can't post.

I've probably taken another step towards alienating myself by making those comments, but c'est la vie
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Monday 8th September 2014),p fandango (Monday 8th September 2014)

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    Ban all for us until we all promise to buy a Toyota Prius as they out handle and accelerate any v70 or s60 because they are a superior car lol.
    The forum won't let me ban myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Be carefull Rich all that over thinking will have you posting like James dreadfully stuff that thinking lol
    I already post crap, don't need to over think for that :-p

Thats what I was hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Also playing Devil's Advocate......Firstly, I'm sure many of us have commented on forums (not just this one) and passed off information in such a way as to be construed as fact, whilst it is only based on our own experience. I know I have. Some may have even repeated information that they have heard/read in an effort to be helpful. I know I have. I think the critical part is how you represent information - by all means comment freely and state opinions but think about how you write it. Making statements that sound like fact, when they are based on no first hand experience, no understanding of the subject matter, and are simply repeating other people's information is a dangerous game. How do you know that the source of information you are repeating is correct?

A forum like this should be a live and archival source of technical information (as well as a community). If the information is diluted by incorrect advice, then it loses it's value. Every member has a duty to be considerate to that fact.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    I'd be more worried about the majority of other content that you are paying for! I'll make no apology for being frank about this, but a large percentage of what I see posted on this forum is utter, utter ££££££££. And the thing is, the regulars on here know that too, and it suits them just fine (community is one thing, but is this a chat room, or a forum?). So it really grates on me when people have the cheek to tell James he shouldn't make a topic like this (and I'm not taking sides, just to be clear). I think many people need to start looking at their own input and applying some quality control before they dictate what others can or can't post.

I've probably taken another step towards alienating myself by making those comments, but c'est la vie
    Chat room, social site, archival bin of some useful information. Sites like these tend to evolve based on 50% by those that run/own such sites input and 50% on what the majority of the club/community/punters want to get from said site.

There is an amount of throw away generic social crap on this site, not necessarily a bad thing as it keeps people round when others need help, providing its filed correctly. (i.e. done in one of the more social-able forums/sections/threads). There is also an amount of decent content (hopefully filed accordingly) in the relevant forums which drives the Google search results.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Thread Information