Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuAWD
    As an aside to this thread, just recently, I was talking to one of the people at my local Volvo dealership on the subject of blocked breathers, and he was saying this guy came in with an old 850 and all the oil separator and breather sysyem was totally blocked, they took a shortcut in cleaning out the breather system, they drained the old oil (very old oil) then filled up with engine flushing oil, and ran the car around for about 5 miles, drained the system and did the same again, it cleared the breather sytem out, and the guy never came back. Conclusion:- (1) it worked and the guy was happy. (2) it f****d his engine and he's gone right off Volvos.
    With a bit of luck, its no.1??
    Wish I had a Volvo!

Need to sell the car swimbo
    says so
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    I will be ordering a new PCV system tomorrow, do i need to buy the 'Fresh air hose' as Vida calls it? Its the large air hose that goes from the turbo to the MAF.
    Any idea of the part numbers for all the bits required to complete the job as mines done 120k and puffs smoke out of the dipstick tube and an idea of the prices involved

Car is a 1997 "p" S70

Cheers

stuart
    Stuart

P2 V70 T5 in explod white running 17 " orpheus alloys , full leather interior , HU 803 with prologic amp

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5tart
    just dont the pcv onmine after reading up on the volvo speed forums
    I am a total novice took me an afternoon and its a hell of alot better now
    rear seal and clutch cost £650 to do at a gge ...I'm not about to start droping gear boxes

the parts from volvo were about £80
    I've got the tell tale smoking dipstick tube, so guess I'm replacing my pcv system over the next few weeks!!
    Do you have a list of parts, or do you simply ask Volvo for the 'pcv system'??
    I am a novice too, but hopefully I can sort this one as I can't afford the labour right now!
    Also, how do you know when the rear main seal has gone??
    (AFAIK Dipstick has only just started smoking).
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB
    I've got the tell tale smoking dipstick tube, so guess I'm replacing my pcv system over the next few weeks!!
    Do you have a list of parts, or do you simply ask Volvo for the 'pcv system'??
    I am a novice too, but hopefully I can sort this one as I can't afford the labour right now!
    Also, how do you know when the rear main seal has gone??
    (AFAIK Dipstick has only just started smoking).
    Still waiting for my garage door to be repaired, then hopefully willget around to changing my PCV. (Parts are sat at home waiting) Think I'll flush and change the oil at the same time as oil change is due in less than 1000 miles anyway. BTW is smoking dipstick the only symptom of a blocked PCv or are there other tell tales signs to look for??
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just had mine done. I told them to replace anything suspect. They said it was pretty well blocked; hope this will save my oil seal. The gasket is for the inlet manifold, which has to come off.
    1996 855.
    Last edited by chriskay; Saturday 11th March 2006 at 15:44.

2 Kings 9.20

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Chriskay. I'll be checking later on to make sure I have purchased all of the right bits. BTW how long did it take them?? I'm hoping I can save my oil seal too!
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Chriskay. I'll be checking later on to make sure I have purchased all of the right bits. BTW how long did it take them?? I'm hoping I can save my oil seal too!
    Volvo allow 2 hours to change the ??canister, but it took another hour to change the associated pipework (probably not necessary, but I wanted to be sure). I got 10-15% off the parts & 30% off the labour. I'm sure someone here (Wobbly?) will know how difficult/easy a job it is, or you could ask VT.
    Cheers, Chris.

2 Kings 9.20

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you've got a Smoking Dip Stick Tube....Is a blocked PCV the only thing that will make this Smoke, or is there anything else that could cause this...?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Saffy V70R Auto estate
    --------------------------------------------------

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd say under normal conditions every bit of smoke/vapour should be sucked out via the breather system. I think to see smoke from the tube caused by something else would mean there's something seriously wrong with the internals of the engine if it was 'over powering' a breather system in good condition.

Scottish bloke
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    A would edit that post with the invoice on it Chris as you address is on it mate

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers, Frazer. I've changed it now.
    Last edited by chriskay; Saturday 11th March 2006 at 15:45.

2 Kings 9.20

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Finally got 'round to changing mine today
    - won't tell you how long it took me LOL!
    Did an oil change at the same time. A bit tricky for a novice like myself. Hopefully car will be better off for it and I have saved my rear main oil seal (and ££££'s!). Breather box was all gunked up - lots of mayo too. No signs of mayo in the oil though - thanks heavens. Will keep my eye on it.
    Parts from Volvo & Halfrauds - £110

Saving £££'s on Labour costs - Worth it.

Inventing new swear words - Priceless!!
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status

Thanks

Inventing new swear words - Priceless!!
    LMSO!!!

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Possibly stupid question but do all T5s have the same engine (C70, V70 850 etc) and do non T5 engines have this problem?
    My dad has a TD V70 and I would like to point this out to him if it is relevant.
    He is retired so expensive engine repairs would not be welcomed!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Baj
    Possibly stupid question but do all T5s have the same engine (C70, V70 850 etc) and do non T5 engines have this problem?
    My dad has a TD V70 and I would like to point this out to him if it is relevant.
    He is retired so expensive engine repairs would not be welcomed!
    You say a TD V70? TDi engine is completely different my friend. T5's all have the same engine except ecu programming is different. Non turbo engine are primarilry the same except obviously all the turbo related hoses etc are missing. Vague i know but you get the point.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

says so
    Thanks
    Finally got round to doing the S70 today all parts from marshalls for around £50 i think as i duplicated some of the parts as "that software" doesn`t group connected items together so i ended up with a breather pipe assembly and all the parts to make another one thanks to marshalls for agreeing to refund me on the duplicated parts "Many thanks wayne and oliver"

Followed the destructions as on here man small hands would be a bonus
    Took the oil seperator off and it was as clean as a whistle no gunk or mayo same for all the pipes i replaced so i guess my engines in better shape than i thought

Total time for the job was about 4 hours however i was stopping for cuppas and fags every half hour but hey it saved me god nows what on labour charges and i came away with all my knuckles intact even if i did look like i`d done 12 hours down a coal mine

Well onto the next job now

Cheers

stuart
    Stuart

P2 V70 T5 in explod white running 17 " orpheus alloys , full leather interior , HU 803 with prologic amp

This user has no status

Thanks
    are these parts to replace the pcv volvo dealer only parts? looks like i have smoke blowing out the dipstick tube, also a smell of oil coming through the vents when stationary with engine running. any idea on what sort of price i am looking at nowadays. thanks

Paul

says so
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blondy
    are these parts to replace the pcv volvo dealer only parts? looks like i have smoke blowing out the dipstick tube, also a smell of oil coming through the vents when stationary with engine running. any idea on what sort of price i am looking at nowadays. thanks

Paul
    Yep fraid its main dealers only or nordic if your a member of the VOC

It should still be around £60 sovs but give marshalls or frank taylor volvo a ring numbers are in the discounts section

You will need a discount code from justin (website owner) to get your discounted prices email him for this do not use the PM facility

And enjoy

Cheers

stuart
    Stuart

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i think it is volvo only part and i remember somewhere on here its about 80-90 squids!!!!also need the inlet manifold gasket to!!thinking of doing this during the week...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if you could use a stainless steel oil catch can instead of the oem seperator.
    Just that i've got one in the shed and it would be an excuse for some shiney bits under the bonnet.

Thread Information