Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Uneven revs and cutting out

Hi,

Can anyone shed any light as to what this might be.......

I have got a 2000 V70 2.4 petrol auto which when I start it up from cold or warm will quite often fire up normally and than cut out unless I purposely keep the revs up.

Also when I am slowing down to stop, either in traffic or when parking the revs will drop to almost nothing and just before it stalls it recovers and goes back to normal.

Unfortunately on a number of occasions it does stall, which isn't best ever.

Any suggestions ladies and gentlemen?

Regards to all.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Sounds like ETM issues, it may just need a clean.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The car is going in tomorrow to hopefully sort this stalling out, which is beginning to get worse.

If the cleaning recommended by Stribo doesn't sort it and the ETM has anyone had any experience of the contactless ones from the States listed on the bay:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2909162233...3AIT#vi-ilComp

Regards to all

This user has no status

Thanks
    Bit of an update, I had the ETM looked at and it was given a clean, after which it seemed to improve. Unfortunately the problem resurfaced and very nearly got me killed after the engine stalled just as I was turning across on-coming traffic, which included a huge truck carrying rock from the Derbyshire quarries.

I sent the ETM off to Volvo Diagnostics and he fitted the contactless system but the problem still won't go away.

Anyone got any suggestions as I can't use the car as it isn't safe to drive.

Regards to all

This user has no status

Thanks
    Check he injectors, maybe they're spaying unevenly.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers mate, I will give it a whirl, if you pardon the pum

This user has no status

Thanks
    Pum, whtf is pum?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    as its an auto take to a transmission company & get it read for gearbox faults .. could be your torque converter or a seal gone

its just a thought as i know 1 or 2 geartronics that have had this happen ..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    have you had the car read with vida dice? or the etm checked with the test within vida dice? any lights on dash? it could be a number of things
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Could be an air leak also I had similar. Need to read the codes

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    My opinion is either a Vacuum leak or ETM, with the later being where my money is.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well the problem has been solved and it was down to a faulty air valve leading to the injectors.

On the way home it was a lot more responsive but the tickover was a bit higher than normal and the revs were not dropping as fast as normal when braking.

When I fired it up the following day the engine management light came on and so back to the garage I went to be told it was the sensor that controls the camshaft settings.

Apparently it is a common fault with many of the original ones being replaced, which coincidently mine had in 2009.

The mechanic gave it a few quick taps with a rubber mallet and cleared the code.

She is now running really well and the pinking it had previously suffered from also appears to have gone.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pliskin For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Thursday 11th December 2014)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
    Well the problem has been solved and it was down to a faulty air valve leading to the injectors.

On the way home it was a lot more responsive but the tickover was a bit higher than normal and the revs were not dropping as fast as normal when braking.

When I fired it up the following day the engine management light came on and so back to the garage I went to be told it was the sensor that controls the camshaft settings.

Apparently it is a common fault with many of the original ones being replaced, which coincidently mine had in 2009.

The mechanic gave it a few quick taps with a rubber mallet and cleared the code.

She is now running really well and the pinking it had previously suffered from also appears to have gone.
    Mine has been cutting out and stalling but only on start up, but nothing as bad as yours was, my ETM is fine as Vida hasn't logged anything for it and it shows 'green' on the traffic light facility when I read the codes. I'm glad you got it sorted anyway, these P2 models are a ruddy minefield when it comes to fault finding.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Nice to see a solution here, I know someone with very similar symptoms on their 2000 2.4 N/A, which I'm due to look at soon.

19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Nice to see a solution here, I know someone with very similar symptoms on their 2000 2.4 N/A, which I'm due to look at soon.

Another 'Driveway repair' Martin?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Another 'Driveway repair' Martin?
    Yep - on my new driveway too

Funny story - it's my dentist who owns the car. I came in for a checkup and said "oooh... I need your number... my car is playing up and getting worse, can you look at it?"

"yes" I said...

"it'll cost you £18.50 for me to look at it..."

"£55.50 if I have to do some minor work..."

I've been holding on to that joke for years, I knew I'd be able to use it one day
    Last edited by M-R-P; Thursday 11th December 2014 at 15:20.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post

I/We spoke too soon. Shortly after I got it home the ETM light came on again and all the original faults resurfaced, I took it back to the garage, had the codes read, which identified the ETM as the culprit so back it went to Volvo Diagnostics, who after taking a lot longer to do the original repair sent it back, during which time the car was sat on the drive. The ETM was refitted and guess what the fault codes are still there and the car is still unusual.

On the subject of all things unusual, I am not totally convinced that the ETM that I returned is the one he sent back. Although I know ordinarily a non original ETM needs to coded to a particular car, I have been told that on occasion a none original will work, albeit roughly.

I have suggested this to the guy at Volvo Diagnostics who denies it but couldn't answer satisfactorily the points I raised.

I am now resigned Does anyone know if the ETM has a serial number inside it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sorry should have said " I am now resigned to buying a new ETM and starting from scratch, which when all things are considered will take me well past what the car is worth" No change there then

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I think there is a procedure to recoding a non original ETM to your car, I believe it involves just leaving the ignition on for 20-30mins, then turning the ignition offd, then starting the car. Hopefully someone can confirm whether this is the case, maybe worth a go before you go down the route of a new ETM.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    A bit late but might be useful...

http://xemodex.com/us/pdf/ETM%20Flow...-new-final.pdf

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Tuesday 3rd February 2015)

Thread Information