Bit of an update, with the refund I got from Lukas I ended up getting a new ETM fitted and it ran fine for a few months. I took it over the tops to Whitby over the weekend and it started playing up again and felt as though it wasn't firing cleanly, weirdly enough on the motorway the temp gauge barely got to a 1/4 but in towns went to normal and then back to a 1/4 when we got back onto the motorway. I got it home but the following day within a couple of miles it started jerking like mad and would barely make it up hills and the dreaded engine management light came on.

Seeing as the new ETM is only weeks old I took it back to the garage who told me that oil and other carbon debris had entered the ETM from the pipe coming from the breather box and had also leaked from the bottom of the securing jubilee clip onto the electrical cable at the bottom of the ETM.

He cleaned both of them up and it is now, touch wood running ok but he has told me that it may very well happen again.

To make things worse he contacted Volvo who told him that seeing that there has been oil contamination any warranty is null and void. Thanks a lot Volvo.

The car has got 113k on it and is none turbo, is it likely to need a PCV renewal? I have got to admit over the last few months I have spent a small fortune trying to sort out a car which is only worth four or five hundred quid but at the moment really suits my needs but I am seriously considering calling the man with the flat-back and jib.

Any replies appreciated