Join Today
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks

S60 T5 Cedar Green Pearl pain in the arse

Right then been meaning to do this for a long time but never got round to it, so I've motivated myself to start a thread so here it is.

I purchased this hunk of metal in January 2014 and basically was sold on the colour.

Name:  IMG_0827_zps82e913f8.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  257.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0822_zps17c1d189.jpg
Size:  152.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0823_zps4e8fb26b.jpg
Size:  302.1 KB

The previous owner had already done a fair bit of work and I was eager to carry on in his footsteps.

Known Issues - Knocking from the driver side front strut, Bushes had a little play in them, CD player wont play CD's, passenger side window safety sensor faulty have to hold button to overide, clucth was very high and sharp so budgeted a new clucth in the next 18 months.
    Bonuses - New piston rings, Polished and Ported head, Block shimmed, R manifold, AEM progressive kit water meth, Stainless Steel Cat back exhaust, AST Coilovers

I took my old S60 T5 down with a friend to give it the once over there were a few niggles but all in all for the price it was an honest motor.

So I started drawing up plans of what I wanted to do:

3" GWE downpipe
    KL racing intercooler
    Remap

So the 1st real thing I did after buying the car was the next day turn up at a meet in shrewsbury and was elated when people commented on the colour as this is what I had fallen for when 1st seeing the car.

Next off it was off to a rolling road day hosted by V70Graham down south.

I was really interested to see what it would get being a stock map but with some nice modifications, at the time I didnt have any meth to try out the meth injection so ran it on just water injection.

Heres the results
    Name:  IMG_20140208_105416_zps09df5412.jpg
Size:  83.2 KB
    I was very happy but wanted more

So I saved a few pennies and started looking around for a suitable map and supporting mods. I was going to have the downpipe fitted 1st but a problem struck as I had popped a strut mount pushing it a little to hard round some welsh hills so I had the coilovers refurbed and refitted and all was good again but it had set my budget back a little but from the advice of a friend I went ahead with my plan to get it remaped but skipped the downpipe for now. I picked up some VXR injectors

Name:  1393965862988_zpsnzuu0rjp.jpg
Size:  83.4 KB

and decided that Dreamer's map was the one that interested me the most, so off I went one morning to Shems garage in Nottingham, I dont know if any of you have been there but its not very easy to find, Shem was a great font of knowledge and gave my car the once over before doing some data logging for Dreamer to write the map. He noted that the bushes were showing a little wear so I added these to the list. Now my review of the map is just 1 word WOW it made a massive differance to the way the car picked up and felt like the boost held for longer, the trip back was eventful and I shall not incriminate my self with the top speed of the car.

1 week after the remap I was picking a friend up to go play some pool when I booted the car and nothing happened it went into limp mode and gave a air leak error code. I popped the bonnet and checked for a loose boost hose but all the clips and joins were solid but it was definitely leaking air as the system would not pressurize. So I took it to GRN for a smoke Test to find that the bottom silicon connector OTE pipe to inter cooler had split on the bottom so new bit of tubing and while it was in a full service later I was back on the road. The plan was to do the wish bones as well but GRN didnt have a press to do it so I looked elsewhere.

In the end I got a new set of wish bones and Mr Welsh pressed them in for me. I didnt think I would be able to make the EVO weekend as by then my bushes were shot with the car swaying under load but with the help of 2 great chaps on this forum Adrian and Colin who offered to do a campside swap of my wishbones I was able to make it.

Heres some Pics of the campside pit stop

Name:  20140614_110710_zpsdf4d3908.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB
    Name:  20140614_110704_zpsad57aa3d.jpg
Size:  124.1 KB

All went well apart from a little mix up but luckily we spotted it.

That day we went for a little jolly up some mountain roads lets just say my driving ability was pushed and I admit I chickened out a little it didnt help that having my car lowered as much as it is did not make the journey pleasurable on those roads.

After that jaunt into wales I had popped another driver side strut mount I dont think my car likes wales but on investigation by a mechanic friend it was deemed that the AST coilovers which utilised stock mounts were at fault as they were to hard for the stock mounts and cause the damage so I had the mounts replaced to give me time to sort new coilovers.
    Last edited by ExternalError; Tuesday 19th August 2014 at 21:48.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 20th August 2014),Jamest5r (Wednesday 20th August 2014),V70 Graham (Wednesday 20th August 2014)

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Well with the coil over issue and the knowledge that I would need a new clucth in the next 12 months I put them 1st on my list of modifications I wanted to sort before upping the power any more.

So after reading a lot on clutches and not wanting to go for the harshness of a paddle clutch on reviews on t5d5 i decided that the AP racing clutch and Lightened fly wheel were the best fit for me.

Name:  20140813_211344_zpswvamrnop.jpg
Size:  63.9 KB
    Name:  20140813_211250_zpsikzfor5f.jpg
Size:  70.7 KB
    Name:  20140813_211140_zpszuniwonq.jpg
Size:  62.6 KB

I also picked up a set of BC coilovers

Name:  20140819_215243_zpszadgb0qv.jpg
Size:  70.4 KB

These are to be fitted next week ready for retro rides

At this point looking back having owned the car for 8 months and spent a fair bit on but for me it has been worth every penny.

I originally bought into the world of fast Volvo's to give me a hobby and something to do to help me out of some issues I was having at the time, I can say its helped lots, Its given me something other than gaming to do in my downtime I've learnt a great deal and met some great people who I class as good friends, I've had my laughs and good times and although I have never been a 1/4 mile challenger yet there's always time to explore that side of things.
    Last edited by ExternalError; Tuesday 19th August 2014 at 22:00.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 20th August 2014),MoleT-5R (Wednesday 20th August 2014),Nealevo (Tuesday 19th August 2014),V70 Graham (Wednesday 20th August 2014)

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Once these are fitted fingers crossed nothing else needs fixing so I can go ahead and get my down pipe and inter cooler, which with my budget looks like it will happen around november/december time.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Nice thread Stewart, the car is a great colour and has come a long way since you've had it.
    Looking forward to more updates.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Very nice car, looks a brilliant contrast with the alloys & the green.
    The p2's look really well with the right mods.
    Good to see Colin doing what he does best...
    No bowler hat though Colin?
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 20th August 2014)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Its good to see another s60 get some tlc
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Have you had a dyno after remap?The colour is nice but the pics don`t show the real beauty just like an olive green colour.

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    havent had a dyno since the remap as I just havent got round to it i'd prefer it to be on a dyno day with the forum as I can have a good laugh with like minded people at the same time rather than just go run it and leave

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Like the colour

Shem's place is hard to find yes! There's only only 4 injectors there....

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    theres another one just above the fuel rail. Its cheaper to buy them on the fuel rail than separately.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 20th August 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExternalError View Post
    theres another one just above the fuel rail. Its cheaper to buy them on the fuel rail than separately.
    So there is, my poor attempt at early mornng humour

What is the reason for the VXRs & not the greens, similar flow rates, maybe to suit the map written?

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    About time you put a project thread up mate, and as already said, the pictures can not convey the fantastic colour,
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Excellent start to your build thread Stewart, looking forward to regular updates as the car progresses, I'll try to get some good shots of your car at retro rides to show off its great colour and keep KG happy.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Great thread!
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    havent had a dyno since the remap as I just havent got round to it i'd prefer it to be on a dyno day with the forum as I can have a good laugh with like minded people at the same time rather than just go run it and leave
    Maybe Mr G will organise another session for us after the gay karting day or something I`d be up for one

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    So there is, my poor attempt at early mornng humour

What is the reason for the VXRs & not the greens, similar flow rates, maybe to suit the map written?
    They are 470cc where as greens i believe are 450cc and they have a better spray patten, there isnt much in them but they were 50 quid cheaper than a set of greens new so I went with them

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 20th August 2014)

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for your comments will attempt to keep it updated as I do things

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That colour with them wheels! actually been eyeing them wheels up for mine too, but mine being pre face lift im not sure theyd suit as well.

Theyll be getting done the same colour anyway, along with the mirror caps! On a silver car.

how much did all the clutch and flywheels setup set you back? im going to look into clutch upgrades at some point. 137k with no record of it being changed in the past....

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    They are 470cc where as greens i believe are 450cc and they have a better spray patten, there isnt much in them but they were 50 quid cheaper than a set of greens new so I went with them
    Cheaper & higher flow, even slightly, good enough! I was just doing some reading about them until I noticed you'd replied......early Me7 and the greens flow much less than the VXRs due constant fuel pressure. Ýours is a later one I guess

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/17629-v...injectors-x-5/

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Wednesday 20th August 2014)

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    yeah mines a later one 2005

Thread Information