Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    J & R run too different qualities, the stuff on ebay is on ebay for a reason
    Not exactly Gav, the stuff on their website is the same and with a 2 year warranty on their goods I'd say they're reasonable quality for the price.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    And yes, I did fit those £50 driveshafts along with Delphi Ball joints that were £15+ VAT each from a local Factors.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Watch how it all unfolds.....lol
    I wonder what you've done wrong in like but you aint saying.
    Or maybe you haven't and been a good lad.lol

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Not exactly Gav, the stuff on their website is the same and with a 2 year warranty on their goods I'd say they're reasonable quality for the price.
    James, who said anything about there website and ebay not being the same? Its certainly not the same stuff as they sell to the trade as i said its on ebay for a reason.

You get what you pay for

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Adrian, I came to quite like you but you're turning more like Claymore every time. Just leave it please, I've done a good job here, learned some new skills and saved a packet it garage labour.

I'll be doing a full write-up with more photos when I've got a couple of hours spare.
    Ok mate, but drop the theatrics as the car is over 200,000 so nothing will be perfect, who's to say that your removal methods didn't make the shaft look far worst than if a semi-skilled mechanic removed it, since your last BULLYING thread,I wouldn't normally comment on one of your threads, but as I hold Duane in quite high regard I thought it only fair to balance things

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 16th August 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok mate, but drop the theatrics as the car is over 200,000 so nothing will be perfect, who's to say that your removal methods didn't make the shaft look far worst than if a semi-skilled mechanic removed it, since your last BULLYING thread,I wouldn't normally comment on one of your threads, but as I hold Duane in quite high regard I thought it only fair to balance things
    What was there to balance??
    Pedro sold the car sold as seen I would have thought .He wrote enough about it therefore people knew what it was like that Is why he sold it for just over scrap value.
    Personally I would not have bought it but then i'm not James but good luck to him.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    I wonder what you've done wrong in like but you aint saying.
    Or maybe you haven't and been a good lad.lol
    read my threads when I ££££ up I post it. Most of us learn the hard way, the rest are in denial.....

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    What was there to balance??
    Pedro sold the car sold as seen I would have thought .He wrote enough about it therefore people knew what it was like that Is why he sold it for just over scrap value.
    Personally I would not have bought it but then i'm not James but good luck to him.
    Exactly that is why I'm reminding peep's out there, if you wish to buy a possible money trap don't fill our pages here with crap posts, post it on voc or elsewhere, it ain't performance is it, that is my last word on this rubbish thread.
    Last edited by Santa; Monday 25th August 2014 at 19:37. Reason: Crap is allowed

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    TBH it cost James £350 I.i.r.c., it's going to have problems, Duane didn't hide the fact, and I'm sure James isn't blaming Duane for the problems.
    Interestingly, I've recently bought a 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec for similar money, just needed a droplink to pass the M.O.T., it really is mint, and although it wouldn't get the M.P.G. a D5 would, it'll be a lot cheaper to run.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Exactly that is why I'm reminding peep's out there, if you wish to buy a possible money trap don't fill our pages here with cr£p posts, post it on voc or elsewhere, it ain't performance is it, that is my last word on this rubbish thread.
    Wow Ade, bit harsh mate?

Mine was a total dog when I got it and filled hundreds of pages with crap while I brought it back from the brink.
    Duane made no attempt to hide the state of the car, I've seen it in the metal a few times, it was a donkey and got treated as such. he also didn't hide the fact that the reason he was retiring it was down to the fact it was gonna need a lot of work pretty soon.
    Do I think James has made a good choice in buying it? ££££ no, he's mad! Do I think he's putting Pedro down for it? No.
    It's not a performance project but it's a project, even if it's being carried out by someone who really should be spending their money on something a little more up to scratch or cheaper to run.
    How many members have non-performance volvos? or volvos that haven't had an MOT for years? or don't even own a volvo any more?

I think rebuilding a gearbox is futile (or mental - whatever) or pissing 15 grand into a volvo for the sake of breaking 13 seconds...? Seriously? Spend
    1000 quid on some 20 year old jap crap and you'll embarrass any volvo.

What I'm saying is, it's all relative and regardless of how daft/stupid/brave we think James is, his dedication is that of an enthusiast. That's what this forum is really about mate. I also think he's wasting his money but we're not going to change anything so let's just watch the story unfold.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 16th August 2014),Jimmie (Saturday 16th August 2014),LeeT5 (Thursday 21st August 2014),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 16th August 2014),MoleT-5R (Saturday 16th August 2014),Nealevo (Sunday 17th August 2014),S70T5Chris (Saturday 16th August 2014),stephenevans99 (Tuesday 19th August 2014)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Adrian, I came to quite like you but you're turning more like Claymore every time. Just leave it please, I've done a good job here, learned some new skills and saved a packet it garage labour.

I'll be doing a full write-up with more photos when I've got a couple of hours spare.
    Thank you, high praise indeed
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

14. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Saturday 16th August 2014)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    So, I'm I correct in thinking you have used cheap parts? can I remind you of your own advice.

I don't think the engine mounts are hydraulic mate, they're fixed. A CV joint will generally 'click click click' when it's worn whereas the wheel bearings tend to rumble which gets worse when you corner.

My advice personally, is don't buy cheap parts if you can help it, especially wheel bearings. I'm not suggesting you were going to buy cheap parts but just in case. I've had the misfortune of seeing the cheaper parts fail prematurely (i.e. strut spring seats and ball joints), so I now fit OE Volvo or uprated parts to the car because they last longer and are better value in the long run (and hence I now replace rubber bushing with PU where possible). Also change both sides of the car because where one part has gone the other is probably not far behind.

If you're doing the work yourself, I'd advice getting new bolts because the wheel bearing bolts are 'stretch bolts' so the thread can strip and they can snap and cause all sorts of issues. New bolts may come with the OE parts anyway but if not then I'd advise getting some.

Ok, I hope that helps and good luck!
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 21st August 2014),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 16th August 2014),MoleT-5R (Saturday 16th August 2014),S70T5Chris (Saturday 16th August 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    So, I'm I correct in thinking you have used cheap parts?can I remind you of your own advice
    I know were your coming from with that statement.
    But there are a few garages that fit cheaper parts but don't tell you they just invoice you the full price and the customer is none the wiser.
    I personally don't do any work on a vehicle myself now but it wasn't always like that.When you only got £2 to £3 a week for pay you had to learn do things yourself.lol
    James should be congratulated on trying to repair motors that most people on here wouldn't touch with a barge pole but its how he comes across sometimes that rattles some people , myself included. Most people would just break them but the only way a true enthusiast would break a motor in my opinion would be as a donor vehicle to one they already own .That's what my neighbour does and good luck to him.
    He's presently working on one of the first Austin Vanden Plas princess 1300 which were good in there time.Hes just sold one of the few Anglia estates that are still left on the road .

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 17th August 2014)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    The fact of the matter is that I've done a job myself for the first time. I'm not taking the mickey out of Duane, this is my car now and I'm just keeping everyone updated on the way things are going. I couldn't care if the Pope owned this before, it's just a statement of fact.

There was a definite driveshaft problem which suddenly got a lot worse, so bad in fact that the car shook violently on a left turn. The driveshaft on the drivers side was shot to bits but then after 200K I'm not surprised. So in reply to a comment above, I didn't make the problem look worse because the driveshaft did just literally fall apart as I moved the outer cv joint away from the stub axle. Besides, the amount of grease on the subframe says alot too.

I still feel Duane did me an excellent deal on this car, I don't feel ripped off because I bought the car expecting a few issues which I can fix over a period of time and learn some useful skills in the process.

Anyway, a thread on how I did the job will be up in the next couple of days, not that it will interest the majority on here but someone like myself who is less mechanically trained may find it useful. And as Santa says, this is a social site too so just because it isn't a performance upgrade, it doesn't mean to say it isn't a useful post.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    I know were your coming from with that statement.
    But there are a few garages that fit cheaper parts but don't tell you they just invoice you the full price and the customer is none the wiser.
    I personally don't do any work on a vehicle myself now but it wasn't always like that.When you only got £2 to £3 a week for pay you had to learn do things yourself.lol
    James should be congratulated on trying to repair motors that most people on here wouldn't touch with a barge pole but its how he comes across sometimes that rattles some people , myself included. Most people would just break them but the only way a true enthusiast would break a motor in my opinion would be as a donor vehicle to one they already own .That's what my neighbour does and good luck to him.
    He's presently working on one of the first Austin Vanden Plas princess 1300 which were good in there time.Hes just sold one of the few Anglia estates that are still left on the road .
    I remember earning 30 quid a week but never 3 pound....one of my first jobs was working in a garage with the Milky Bar Kids dad in Trimdon

Selling between forum members is always good as 99% of the time everything is (should be ) honest....unlike the previous owner of my S60R, who couldn't quite get the words out of his month - "yes the heads been off for a bodge job and it's now using coolant again" - before cramming my hard earned 30 quids in his pocket....

Keep posting James, and stop biting!! There's an ignore list you know

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Jimmie (Sunday 17th August 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    I remember earning 30 quid a week but never 3 pound....one of my first jobs was working in a garage with the Milky Bar Kids dad in Trimdon
    Keep posting James, and stop biting!! There's an ignore list you know
    £30 PW, you must still be a youngster then.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    £30 PW, you must still be a youngster then.
    hehe I thought I was rolling in it back then - driving about in my old Renault 5, not a care in the world.......how things have changed..same car with a turbo now

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looking at your photos, what you have there is a dis-assembled CV joint. It has brown grease suggesting it is emulsified lubricant, due to a tie-wrap being used instead of an Oetiker clamp, water has ingressed and possibly ruined the metalwork. Give it a clean up and see how badly scored the ballbearings and cage are. Might not be too bad?
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

2003 V70 SE, 5244 S2, 2.4 24v, 101,000 miles
    Mods: Yatour MP3 CD Emulator

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
    Looking at your photos, what you have there is a dis-assembled CV joint. It has brown grease suggesting it is emulsified lubricant, due to a tie-wrap being used instead of an Oetiker clamp, water has ingressed and possibly ruined the metalwork. Give it a clean up and see how badly scored the ballbearings and cage are. Might not be too bad?
    To be honest mate, the age of the driveshaft suggests it's past it and trying to rebuild it is hard work. When I broke the driveshaft on my V70 even the garage gave up trying to rebuild it and just put a new one on. Nice suggestion though.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
    Are you serious !!!!!!

The small amount of grease that is left in the CV joint has turned brown because instead of lubicating the joint it`s acted as a grinding paste and worn the machined surfaces of the joint away, The CV is ££££ed and is fit for scrap.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

27. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Sunday 17th August 2014)

Thread Information