Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    Are you serious !!!!!!

The small amount of grease that is left in the CV joint has turned brown because instead of lubicating the joint it`s acted as a grinding paste and worn the machined surfaces of the joint away, The CV is ££££ed and is fit for scrap.
    I have to agree with you there Rob. And to be honest, a new unit carries piece of mind and a 2 year warranty.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This forum does make me sad sometimes. There always seems to be bickering about something.

I had an inner CV collapse a couple of weeks back. Sadly it was while I was driving along, so I very quickly ground to a depressing halt lol.
    1996 850 T-5 -lowered 40mm, 17" Volans, T5-R front bumper and spoiler, recirc. blanked, open filter - GONE!
    2003 V70 D5 SE - very standard - ALSO GONE!
    2003 RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup - FOR SALE
    2016 VW Golf R DSG - GONE
    2013 Megane Renault Sport 265 - SOLD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to massivewangers For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 18th August 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by massivewangers View Post
    This forum does make me sad sometimes. There always seems to be bickering about something.

I had an inner CV collapse a couple of weeks back. Sadly it was while I was driving along, so I very quickly ground to a depressing halt lol.
    show us some pictures & we can argue about it

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by massivewangers View Post

Frightening as well isn't it. When I turned the wheel to the left the car was shaking violently, the gear stick was shaking left and right and the whole car felt like it had a mind of it's own. I nursed the car home slowly and instantly grounded it until I'd repaired it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    James, I'd be interested to read your write up of the job when you get around to it. Even if it does end up being torn to pieces - "you should have done xyz" "you shouldn't have done xyz" etc - it'll still be intersting to me as it's a job I've not done but may have to at some point, so it's food for thought.

Personally I think it's bloody ridiculous to say that topics like this shouldn't be allowed on this forum, it's stinks of snobbishness, and to be totally bloody frank about it it's massively hypocritical when a huge percentage of the content on here is inane banter rather than performance orientated discussion. Maybe the club should be renamed Volvo Performance Quarter Mile Willy Waving Pre-menstrual Banter & Bitching LOL Misuse Club UK, but I guess that wouldn't have the same ring to it .
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Tuesday 19th August 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think your doin a great job James, its nice to see another car saved from the breakers. I've done the same with my V70, bought it off my mate as he was going to scrap it. Spent two grand on it so far, but its well worth it.

The amount of cars that get scrapped (especially Volvos) is a crying shame. Just a bit of TLC will save most from the crusher.

My car will be like "Triggers Broom" by the time Ive finished
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddo For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    ....a huge percentage of the content on here is inane banter rather than performance orientated discussion. Maybe the club should be renamed Volvo Performance Quarter Mile Willy Waving...
    happy to help with the inane banter

Quote Originally Posted by Liddo View Post
    I think your doin a great job James, its nice to see another car saved from the breakers. I've done the same with my V70, bought it off my mate as he was going to scrap it. Spent two grand on it so far, but its well worth it.

The amount of cars that get scrapped (especially Volvos) is a crying shame. Just a bit of TLC will save most from the crusher.

My car will be like "Triggers Broom" by the time Ive finished
    Agree with you there it's not environmentally friendly at all to keep producing new cars full of rare metals, when older cars have been produced already. I love to hear people go on about how they are saving the planet with a Prius compared with my 'old Volvos', as then I can throw in a few real costs per mile over the life of their car

Here's to Triggers broom! I'm building a new car one piece at a time

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Liddo (Tuesday 19th August 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    James, I'd be interested to read your write up of the job when you get around to it. Even if it does end up being torn to pieces - "you should have done xyz" "you shouldn't have done xyz" etc - it'll still be intersting to me as it's a job I've not done but may have to at some point, so it's food for thought.

Personally I think it's bloody ridiculous to say that topics like this shouldn't be allowed on this forum, it's stinks of snobbishness, and to be totally bloody frank about it it's massively hypocritical when a huge percentage of the content on here is inane banter rather than performance orientated discussion. Maybe the club should be renamed Volvo Performance Quarter Mile Willy Waving Pre-menstrual Banter & Bitching LOL Misuse Club UK, but I guess that wouldn't have the same ring to it .
    I think it's quite catchy.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

claymore (Tuesday 19th August 2014),Jamest5r (Monday 18th August 2014),jamesy12345 (Tuesday 19th August 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Go for it fella, this from someone who has no idea and lets others sort out my cars, lol.
    Nice to see someone willing to 'give it a go' so to speak.
    You bought it knowing it had problems and were willing to tackle them, it you solve them ,excellent. If not then it's 'hey ho' and shrug of the shoulders and move on to the next thing.
    Good luck with it all and just keep posting and putting up pics !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zoidberg For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    James, I'd be interested to read your write up of the job when you get around to it. Even if it does end up being torn to pieces - "you should have done xyz" "you shouldn't have done xyz" etc - it'll still be interesting to me as it's a job I've not done but may have to at some point, so it's food for thought.

It's up mate, here's the link....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...nt-Replacement

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    show us some pictures & we can argue about it
    Sadly I'm lazy and just handed it to someone else to fix

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Frightening as well isn't it. When I turned the wheel to the left the car was shaking violently, the gear stick was shaking left and right and the whole car felt like it had a mind of it's own. I nursed the car home slowly and instantly grounded it until I'd repaired it.
    Yes mine was much the same. I had had a look at it and had my suspicions that it was on it's way out, but it was still quite unnerving, as the car felt terrible. Sadly I made the mistake of stopping to have a look at it. The strain of trying to pull away again just made it disintegrate totally and I was just sat hopelessly turning the remains of it and going no where!
    1996 850 T-5 -lowered 40mm, 17" Volans, T5-R front bumper and spoiler, recirc. blanked, open filter - GONE!
    2003 V70 D5 SE - very standard - ALSO GONE!
    2003 RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup - FOR SALE
    2016 VW Golf R DSG - GONE
    2013 Megane Renault Sport 265 - SOLD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to massivewangers For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ive found this thread quite useful.

Im not usually one for using cheap parts but with driveshafts at that price you dont mind replacing them every 50k even if thats all you get out of them.

im assuming its my N/S outer one that might be on its way in mine, i noticed (along with a slight jerkynes of the steering when swinguing round to full lock to do a u turn the other day) a slight clicking from that side, only light but it might aswell be changed, i was just going to buy a new outer joint but now i think ill just go down the driveshaft route!

Had quite a few driveshaft related instances in the past, Saxo's are renowned for it, i ran one with a turbo conv, and one with a 2.1 turbo shoehorned into it........they used to demolish driveshafts at a scary rate!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bones For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Ive found this thread quite useful.

Im not usually one for using cheap parts but with driveshafts at that price you dont mind replacing them every 50k even if thats all you get out of them.

im assuming its my N/S outer one that might be on its way in mine, i noticed (along with a slight jerkynes of the steering when swinguing round to full lock to do a u turn the other day) a slight clicking from that side, only light but it might aswell be changed, i was just going to buy a new outer joint but now i think ill just go down the driveshaft route!

Had quite a few driveshaft related instances in the past, Saxo's are renowned for it, i ran one with a turbo conv, and one with a 2.1 turbo shoehorned into it........they used to demolish driveshafts at a scary rate!
    These J&R ones are cheaper than buying an outer CV on it's own and they come with a 2 year warranty. Check out my "How To" thread, it will save you some hassle and hopefully some money, link is above.

Let me know how you get on and PM me if you need to.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I should get on fine, i became a dab hand at changing driveshafts when i ran the saxo's. got the nearside one down to about 15 mins start to finish! used to buy a couple for each side everytime i went to a french car breakers down the road

Possibly managed it even quicker when your doing it on the side of the A17 in torrential rain and howling winds, in full RAF uniform on a Friday night!

Do these things loose much gearbox oil when you pop the shaft out?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    I should get on fine, i became a dab hand at changing driveshafts when i ran the saxo's. got the nearside one down to about 15 mins start to finish! used to buy a couple for each side everytime i went to a french car breakers down the road

Possibly managed it even quicker when your doing it on the side of the A17 in torrential rain and howling winds, in full RAF uniform on a Friday night!

Do these things loose much gearbox oil when you pop the shaft out?
    The offside one saw no loss at all, the nearside one left a little dribble of transmission fluid when I took it out but that stops as soon as the new Driveshaft is clipped in to place.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Bones (Wednesday 20th August 2014)

Thread Information