Join Today
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Project tdi...

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I guess it's either that or paint it silver!

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    This is amazing!!! When I first saw this thread, I thought you might have acquired my old car!!! I know a lot of people who mess with these engines in the VW crowd, and the idea was to turn it into a beast! I had it chipped with blanked EGR etc but that's about as far as I went before removing the Polaris wheels and selling as I had to get rid of some cars

I will be very interested to see where you take this mate

....and stick a set of V70R seats in it... so much better than those awful 850 tdi seats and hold you in so much better

WHY DOESN'T MY SIGNATURE WORK??? ...IT DOES NOW! :-)

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Go mad!!!!

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
    No soot from me! I'm not a fan of rolling coal lol.

Not sure whether to paint it or not to be honest, what do you think?
    Keep it Granddad red!!! Ultimate sleeper

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
    Got a little tarty under the bonnet too
    Could you take the aluminium intake off..... grind the 3 stupid plastic cover fixing lugs off and all the casting texture and polish it? It was the next thing on my list before I sold the car and really wanted to see it done because it would look the dogs!!

I couldn't help but do it with the R..... was a heck of a job, but the inlet on the TDI would be easy

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MA'R'K View Post
    Could you take the aluminium intake off..... grind the 3 stupid plastic cover fixing lugs off and all the casting texture and polish it? It was the next thing on my list before I sold the car and really wanted to see it done because it would look the dogs!!
    I'ts on the list when the heads off! Not sure about polishing it, I'm not really into to much shiney under the bonnet. I will probably paint it. But yes the lugs are coming off and the casting marks.

Funnily enough it was your car that inspired this build. I loved the look of it in granddad red so searched until I found this one. I plan on changing the interior eventually but the engine build is taking up the funds first.

I'm not changing the colour of the car, we were on about the colour of the head! I'm just going to get a few bits resprayed on the exterior as it's in pretty good nick anyway.

Your old car sold fairly recently on ebay, unfortunately it looked in a sorry state and only went for about 500 quid.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Cool cool.... I think the engine looks pretty sick so definitely gives a good basis for a fab looking engine bay!!

The guy who I sold the car unfortunately sold it to some guy who wasn't interested in cars.... I was a bit upset after the attention I put into it! The interior was pretty mint and the comets I put on were mint.... I would have bought it back for 500 if I'd've known as I need two front seats for refurb! ...plus I wouldn't mind some comets again .....the exterior defo needed a full respray though, so I would imagine it would have been looking rough!

Good luck with the build though.... I hope you make a beast! I'd love a ride in it if you ever come midlands way as I did enjoy the power delivery (sooo much torque!!) and I imagine uprated would be

health.
    Thanks
    Busy day today, got the new head on, ported the inlet manifold, removed the lugs on the inlet manifold, new coolant temp sensor, glow plugs etc etc.

And finally the coolant system isn't pressurising so hopefully problem solved.

Few piccys

Hard to see in the pictures but i was pleasantly surprised to still see the honing marks in the bores. Not bad for over 200k miles. Also put new wishbones on today and will fit the new rear bumper brackets tomorrow

850 tdi - sorely missed.

health.
    Thanks
    Bumper brackets done, after removing the wheel arch liners and the side bolts, the bumper literally fell off!

Looks a bit better now though
    As

The bumper looks much better but as it's been hung badly for a while it's a little out of shape, so I'm hoping it will settle back to normal after a short time.

t

850 tdi - sorely missed.

health.
    Thanks
    Ok quick update. After a few months of running with the current setup I'm very happy really. Power is very good (will confirm the exact amount in a week or so), and everything is holding up well.

A couple of issues have cropped up, one being the fact I have some fuel starvation past 3500 rpm and the other being the fuel getting to hot, over 70c on a blast.

So this week I'm going to fit an inline pump to assist the injection pump so it will always see some pressure rather than having to try really hard to suck the fuel from the tank. I will also fit a fuel cooler (from a bmw 535d) to help keep fuel temps below 35c.

Hopefully once these little additions are on a shall be able to maintain the bhp I've paid for rather than losing it due to hardware being able to keep up! I don't expect bhp gains per se, but i do hope to see the bhp not to drop off after 3500-4000 rpm.

I'll take some pics as and when, probably Thursday, and maybe dyno results by the end of next week.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Make sure you fit some sort of bypass before the injection pump, I managed to blow a shaft seal on my VE pump on my D24-tic.
    That resulted in THE most spectacular fuel leak the world has ever seen and emptied half a tank in 20 miles!
    No T5 is that thirsty!!
    Last edited by Doingitsideways; Tuesday 1st September 2015 at 00:43.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

martin_r_smith (Tuesday 1st September 2015)

health.
    Thanks
    What pressure pump did you use?

850 tdi - sorely missed.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Ah, I can't tell you that through fear of ridicule!

It was on my converted 960, so I used the standard in tank pump for from the petrol system.
    So probably about 5bar!

health.
    Thanks
    Lol. The one i fitted today was 7-10psi!

850 tdi - sorely missed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Saturday 5th September 2015),MoleT-5R (Friday 4th September 2015)

health.
    Thanks
    I have been monitoring fuel temps with the new pump and cooler setup and after a 3 hour drive it was 37 degrees so all seems to be working well. The inline pump has greatly improved the fueling situation at higher rpm. My butt dyno suggests a good improvement in power over 3500rpm and holds all the way to 4500.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Not looking forward to chasing you into Lechlade now mate reckon I'll be left in a cloud of diesel smoke, sounds like she's coming along nicely though bud
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

health.
    Thanks
    Nah its still not that smokey, but unfortunately for you your normally behind me first thing in the morning when it's a little worse.

Incidentally on the mot today she scored her lowest ever on the emissions/ smoke test, thats with all emissions control removed!

850 tdi - sorely missed.

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    That's made me chuckle a bit, by removing the emissions controls its scored lower love it
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 500tie For This Useful Post:

martin_r_smith (Tuesday 8th September 2015)

health.
    Thanks
    So after my recent head gasket disaster I've put a few miles on it again now and have total confidence in it, Knowing that i have the best possible quality gasket now fitted. The 16 row setrab oil cooler with mocal thermostatic sandwich plate is doing its job and temps are all good. Interestingly now though, if i drive it hard i can get the temp gauge up to normal 3 o'clock position but if i then slow down and drive steady i can get the gauge to drop down to 4 o'clock position.Looking on vol fcr this is only a difference of 91 and 87 degrees but it shows that the cooling systems, oil and water, are working extremely effectively. The fuel cooler i added a while ago is also doing a great job keeping the temps below 35 degrees even if i've got less than quarter of a tank where it previously would reach 60+ degrees.

Overall the car is running better than ever, it even sounds quieter and smoother the wife actually noticed too! So this now means that I may be in a position to push things a little further power wise as i feel i have done everything i can to improve reliability. The hunt shall now start for a better suited turbo,the 16T has done great up to now but it has run out of steam over 240bhp. I am going to try and find a Holset he221w as they have been proven on this engine to 300bhp, They are however fairly difficult to come by in this country so it may take a little while.

Injectors nozzle size will also be increased as I have currently maxed my 0.240 nozzles. I'm not sure which size to go to yet but at least 0.260's. Mapping is again a problem but i may have solved this problem,time shall tell.

Speaking of mapping, my plan is to have the MAF mapped out and run purely on MAP based smoke limitation. The Bosch mechanical flapper style maf is a massive restriction and is seriously hampering top end performance. It will also be better in the long run as good working mafs are getting harder to come by.

Other plans are just to keep tidying it up, Emma keeps nagging me about getting the bonnet sprayed so that is first on the agenda really as it lest the whole car down. A wheel refurb is also on the cards as the comets are starting to look a little ropey.

I'll upload some pics of the work later..

850 tdi - sorely missed.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 4th October 2015),Jamest5r (Sunday 4th October 2015)

health.
    Thanks
    Fuel cooler, feed pump and oil cooler in.

And back to looking good again, to me anyway..

850 tdi - sorely missed.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:

500tie (Sunday 4th October 2015),claymore (Sunday 4th October 2015),craigoodwood (Sunday 4th October 2015),t5 pete (Sunday 4th October 2015)

Thread Information