Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

940 brake upgrade

going to be doing the brakes on my 940 soon but just wondering if i need to put bigger brakes on or just uprated disc's and pads, eventually im aiming for around 300hp from the big old estate so wanted to ask what other people is best? i have red that c/v70 brakes are bigger and they can be fit to a 940 but would need "16 wheels, i wanted to stick to my "15's really so just wondering what to do? going to do the brakes and suspension at the same time and some bracing so any help welcome

cheers

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    You can fit 302mm from the 850 with a little work as need spacing a little, you would needs 17s to fit them probably (very few 16s fit over) Or make your own brakes up. I fitted 4 pots to my friends on 316mm discs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Monday 5th October 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    ahh i will look into it, and its good to know i need 17s not 16s (must have been some bad info i have read), what were the 4 pots off mate? might have to have a look what calipers i could use

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Renault brembos, the 17s are ref to 850 fitment, can't say 100% for 940 as I'm an 850 person and just made brakes up for a friend of mine, who btw says they are awesome. He has titans on 25mm spacers.

This user has no status

Thanks
    oh cool i will have a look at them, fair does, suppose its just suck it and see with fitment, was it hard to get the calipers to fit?

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    A mornings work, I didn't make a pattern for them.

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    This is the info for v70 302mm brake swap.....16s req'd.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157001

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    This is what I made for him, night and day with the old brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Sunday 10th August 2014),wiganer31 (Sunday 10th August 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artfulflounder View Post
    This is the info for v70 302mm brake swap.....16s req'd.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157001
    cheers pal, ive had a look at this and it dose seem a decent setup, looks like im gonna have to find myself some 16s

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    This is what I made for him, night and day with the old brakes.
    oh nice that looks a nice setup, did you need to make custom brackets to fit the calipers?

so its looking like people think just go bigger brakes?

cheers for the help so far

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    It's up to you, but 302mm are particularly fantastic, I've tried all combinations as owed 17 850 r models of some description.
    I've found it's always better to make your own, 4 pots etc.
    I've put 350mm 4 pots under standard Volans, with my own secret recipe of set up.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Take a look
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status

Thanks
    i would like to go bigger on the brakes and i know its for the best but i have no confidence when it comes to doing a brake conversion, and no idea were to start (well getting an idea now), think i will have to have a word and see if theres any mates that can help with a brake conversion.
    that conversion you have done seems to fit nicely, looks godd mate

T5 swapping

Thanks
    It is simple. 330 rotors from XC90 and any kind of Brembo calipers you can find. Friend of mine uses Alfa Romeo calipers.
    In my opinion the 302 upgrade is not that big of an upgrade. You have to spend money on rotors anyway, the 330s aren't expensive, why not go bigger than? The only downside is the bracket for the caliper. You have to get them made/machined/ whatever.

Edit: pictures!

Last edited by Nari; Wednesday 13th August 2014 at 14:00.
    945 T6 in progress

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nari View Post
    It is simple. 330 rotors from XC90 and any kind of Brembo calipers you can find. Friend of mine uses Alfa Romeo calipers.
    In my opinion the 302 upgrade is not that big of an upgrade. You have to spend money on rotors anyway, the 330s aren't expensive, why not go bigger than? The only downside is the bracket for the caliper. You have to get them made/machined/ whatever.

Edit: pictures!

Yes it's very easy to do, but with xc90 discs and 4 pots you would have to use non standard wheels, I've made 15 different sets of big fronts now, eventually I found some that can be altered slightly to fit under titans or Volans.

You never get your set up under Volans with out a spacer, where as I just managed to get 350mm discs under, it's ever such a tight squeeze lol

T5 swapping

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    Yes it's very easy to do, but with xc90 discs and 4 pots you would have to use non standard wheels, I've made 15 different sets of big fronts now, eventually I found some that can be altered slightly to fit under titans or Volans.

You never get your set up under Volans with out a spacer, where as I just managed to get 350mm discs under, it's ever such a tight squeeze lol
    Can't speak about Volans, but 17" pegs cleared the brakes. Only problem was the poorly placed wheel weights. We had to grind the bolts that are holding the caliper a tiny bit.
    So yeah, it is a tight fit
    945 T6 in progress

This user has no status

Thanks
    cheers for the suggestions so far guys, im still unsure of what size discs to go for but im now on the look out for some 4 pots, im thinking bigger is better just because i like the idea of big brakes lol, dont know how to go about designing the brackets for the 4 pots unless someone has a design they could send me so i can take it to the machine shop?

i did go to a scrap yard the other day to have a look at a few 4 pot calipers, was gonna buy a 940 hub and a 4 pot caliper to have a go at mocking it up but i got distracted when i walked behind a 940 and spotted a locker, someone had already cleaned the tag off to check the code plus took the diff cover off and had a tub under it to drain the diff oil in, and loosened a few bolts etc, but as they wasn't there i decided it was now mine so finished the job off and bought it

cheers

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nari View Post
    Can't speak about Volans, but 17" pegs cleared the brakes. Only problem was the poorly placed wheel weights. We had to grind the bolts that are holding the caliper a tiny bit.
    So yeah, it is a tight fit
    17 pegs do allow a good but of clearance I made basically the same set up as you before using 320mm discs.

I did 308 4 pots on the rear, but also 330 4 pots on another car and also xc90 rear callipers on 308s, bearing in mind the xc90 disc is a little bigger and vented. Any of the set ups worked well.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ettienne it's a 940 with a completely different offset to a 850/V70. The first task will be to get bigger wheels. Theres 4 types of 16 inch iirc and one type of 17 inch wheel for a 940 ( Polaris/Eiker good luck getting a set of them for less than £750 ). If you want 336mm xc90 discs you'll need fwd Volvo wheels and 25mm spacers. I've got 25mm H and R spacers and Perfo wheels with 302mm discs. They may fit under Hydras,Galaxies,Gemini or the other one 16 inch rwd offset Volvo wheel which you can get fairly easily.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
    Ettienne it's a 940 with a completely different offset to a 850/V70. The first task will be to get bigger wheels. Theres 4 types of 16 inch iirc and one type of 17 inch wheel for a 940 ( Polaris/Eiker good luck getting a set of them for less than £750 ). If you want 336mm xc90 discs you'll need fwd Volvo wheels and 25mm spacers. I've got 25mm H and R spacers and Perfo wheels with 302mm discs. They may fit under Hydras,Galaxies,Gemini or the other one 16 inch rwd offset Volvo wheel which you can get fairly easily.
    I'm aware of that as I made a set up for a 740 turbo as pictured above using 25mm wheel spacer. You'd never get 336mm 4 pots under 99% of 17" wheels inc Polaris as there offset means they run close to the hub. Iirc alamtheas and 17 pegs may just have enough room.

I do know 316mm was the comfortable limit for titans using 25mm spacer.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

barkster1971 (Sunday 17th August 2014)

Thread Information