Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boost pipes

This user has no status

Thanks

boost pipes

has any one ever replace there boost pipes with universal stuff, as in not one of the expensive kits you can buy.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I made a 3" ic to throttle pipe but took it off as it was too tight against the starter motor and the rad fan.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    if your wanting to do a 2.5 ote pipe ive got a lovely do88 2.5 ote to ic silicone pipe if your interested...

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have just bought a 2.25" universal kit of ebay with the intention of doing a DIY RIP kit.

I would have had it done by now but ill with man flu.

Like you I wasn't willing to shell out mega bucks on a 'proper' kit and I didn't want to cut and bodge the standard pipes.

I've done a fair bit of reading and research. Its seems fairly straight forward.

I'm got it for my 850 R by the way but there wont be much difference if any I don't think...

T.
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I have to ask......Why??

What performance gains are you expecting over stock? replacing the stock hoses inherantly induces air leaks, boost leaks and the normal occasional hose 'blow off' due to ill fitting, over prised crappy wide band clamps. The stock hoses and jubilees clamps have been proven time and again to cope with in excess of 400bhp many times so I really don't understand what you expect to gain.....other than future issues.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Sunday 10th August 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I was thinking of changing it because the ote pipe has a slight boost leak and I have a feeling the hose going to intercooler has oil residue so not sure if that's got a slight weep

My Car Will Never Be
    'Finished'
    Thanks
    I have put a cheap universal ebay Hard pipe kit on my v70, had it on for just over a year now and not had any issues, I just cut them to size and job done! aslong as the clips are all tight and free of oil that could cause the clips/pipe to pop off then you shouldn't have any issues.

I made my own RIP kit with this kit and mainly done it because i had already found a split boost pipe not long after i bought the car, And knowing that the standard silicone piping will compress when under-load causing a little loss of power, where are the hard pipe kit will not compress under load so therefore have more power and the engine is breathing as it should

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_mito View Post
    I was thinking of changing it because the ote pipe has a slight boost leak and I have a feeling the hose going to intercooler has oil residue so not sure if that's got a slight weep
    Is your OTE pipe the alloy type or later plastic type? When you say it's leaking, I'm assuming its cracked or something?? otherwise, the leak can only be at either end due to it no being fitted correctly or a poorly fitted/worn clamp?

It is normal for the IC to ETM hose to have residue in it, especially if it's never been cleaned!
    I would suggest that you remove the pipe and plug one end with a nitrile glove or the palm of your hand. Hold the pipe between your knees whilst sitting on a chair/bench/toolbox and plug the small end. Then pour a cup full of petrol into the pipe and plug the top with your other hand. Then give it a good shake and sluce out all the oil. Rinse with soapy water and allow to dry. Stand on its end for an hour!
    then refit using two new jubilee clips supplied by Volvo. Make sure they have the pipe protecting collar fitted so that the clamp does not damage the pipe. Its the sprung loaded metal ring that fits inside the jubilee clamp.
    Clean the ETM by undoing the 4 x 10mm bolts from under the manifold. Unplug and give the ETM a good clean with carb cleaner. It should be like a mirror when your done.

Refit, making sure the ETM to manifold gasket is intact and not damaged. Also, making sure that the face of the ETM is clean and all oil residue is wiped away. Make sure the plastic IC to ETM pipe is securely fitted to the IC and the ETM and that you don't over tighten the jubilees.

While your there, have a good look at the rear of the IC at the sides. Any oil residue present then suspect that the IC is cracked. Clean away and make sure you flex the IC pipe connection exit as they often crack on the seem.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cooler is new. Pipes have all been cleaned.
    its the small pipe from tge ote to cooler. Lots of resdue on the outside.

The ote is plastic one. Its seeping from the llastic lugs. Ive plastic welded them up but think its still seeping

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_mito View Post
    Cooler is new. Pipes have all been cleaned.
    its the small pipe from tge ote to cooler. Lots of resdue on the outside.

The ote is plastic one. Its seeping from the llastic lugs. Ive plastic welded them up but think its still seeping
    Sorry mate, not sure which pipe your talking about?? What's a tge?

Are you talking about the OTE pipe, the one that goes from the Turbo to the IC inlet pipe OR the pipe from the IC to the ETM (Electronic Throttle module)?

Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    its a typo for the

as said earlier dude ive got it in do88 but it wont fit to the std ote pipe as theyr too small...
    would be perfect for you if you wanna do a custom 2.5" ote pipe as itll save you making one.
    its never been used as im using a larger fmic...

if you wanna do the ote pipe fix on the cheap just patch the bracket area with fibreglass

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well I've done my DIY RIP with a universal kit from ebay. I've not even used half of the pipes I got. Nice improvement. A lot less lag. Turbo comes on nicely at the lower revs. All in all very happy. Would recommend for sure.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo. View Post
    Well I've done my DIY RIP with a universal kit from ebay. I've not even used half of the pipes I got. Nice improvement. A lot less lag. Turbo comes on nicely at the lower revs. All in all very happy. Would recommend for sure.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Name:  WP_20140818_10_59_44_Pro.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  372.8 KBName:  WP_20140818_10_59_58_Pro.jpg
Size:  384.6 KBName:  WP_20140818_11_00_09_Pro.jpg
Size:  269.0 KBName:  WP_20140818_11_00_29_Pro.jpg
Size:  393.5 KB
    62' V60 D3 R Design

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I did my own pipes for RIP from ebay on my ME7.

Name:  engine install finished.jpg
Size:  1.41 MBName:  2011-07-28 20.15.59.jpg
Size:  255.6 KBName:  engine bay close.jpg
Size:  622.0 KB
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo. View Post
    Name:  WP_20140818_11_00_29_Pro.jpg
Size:  393.5 KB
    What's the jubilee clip half way up the boost pipe?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    to prevent the pipe rubbing on the head??

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    to prevent the pipe rubbing on the head??
    Nah....it's a spare jubilee incase the bottom one breaks!

Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    your looking at the wrong pic lee.
    colins on bouts the one in thats around the metal pipe-no sili coupler. a couple of inches away from the turbo...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Hee hee, I wondered how long it would take someone to say something.

Its to stop the pipe getting scratched/dented by the back of the engine. It was the first thing that I thought to protect it. Might cut one of the rubber pipes and slide it on to tidy it up.
    62' V60 D3 R Design

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Timo. For This Useful Post:

claymore (Thursday 21st August 2014)

Thread Information