Join Today
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigoodwood View Post
    how much would you pay to make a journey worth while for all the ac bits you want off this xc ive got? dont worry bout bein cheeky it owes me nothin now
    ive bent the rad droppin the engine but all pipes and parts are still hooked up and was workin before i stripped it
    im not lookin forward to crackin the pipes an gettin the fluid everywhere...
    Hi Craig, I'm stick to new parts for the recommissioning of the air con, it's a job I don't want to do and will only do once. Just ordered an evaporator, drier and seals from Volvo, will get a new pump from pfv and hoping the condenser is leak free. Thanks though as it sounds like you'd of done a decent price.

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    no worries at all

3. The Following User Says Thank You to craigoodwood For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Saturday 27th December 2014)

twine.
    Thanks

Oil change at about 3500miles.

Both are before shots but went over the nearside sideskirt as it was bit dull and the front bumper had a couple of marks on the corner. Clay, fine cutting compound on fast setting, wax.

Stripped both fog light and cleaned them out, after the flood they were full of mud and crap.. Now they have condensation in them which I'm hoping will go over time.

Evaporator, drier, o rings etc.

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saaamon View Post

Evaporator, drier, o rings etc.
    Can I ask how much as I will be doing this soon, don't forget pics as you go to help the less fortunate on their way (me)

twine.
    Thanks

Ordered from frf, including VAT £445, don't really need the plates but the seals for the heater core pipes are worth changing. If you need a condenser there about £260. If like me you don't have a pollen filter you'll need to source a pollen filter housing as thats a lot of the reason they rot out, i expect they can be had from a classic.

This is the tool you'll need to remove the quick disconnect fittings on the air con pipes.

Not sure when I'm going fit it, its weather depending really, they say budget a couple of days, but i'll post pictures and a little write up.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saaamon For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Thursday 1st January 2015),Nealevo (Thursday 1st January 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Nice update, you'll be pleased you've done the a/c come the summer, I know I was

I'd also advise getting a pollen filter housing and filter if they're not fitted, was only an option at the time of the 850's original sale, as it will help to prevent the evaporator from rotting out again so quickly then it should last the remaining life of the car

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Thursday 1st January 2015)

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Great work.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdavis For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Friday 2nd January 2015)

twine.
    Thanks
    Having already made a thread going through the process of fixing the air con i won't do it again but just share some pictures instead.

We've been using the car a lot this year, not only is it used everyday, its also had a couple of trips to Europe with the last one being quite an arduous one, 100mph+ for hours on end and temperatures at times 37c.

Because of this i thought it could do with a service and some preventative maintenance.

Along with the recommissioning of the AC, i fitted a new thermostat, heater core and a full coolant flush with Volvo coolant.

Next on the list was the recommissioning of the headlight wipers, the motor was broken on the O/S and is bit of pig to replace but is do-able. That just left replacing the wiper blades and fixing the washer jets by unblocking them and fixing and T junction.

After 3 years of having the tailgate landing on my head whilst getting the shopping out.. Now it nearly takes the end of my chin off every time I open it.

Next on the list was to service the front shocks, one was slightly damp up on the adjuster screw and they were starting to feel soft. This is the report,

“They found one unit had a poor rebound graph when arrived, when the unit was opened they found some dirt inside and some damage to the internal rebound spacers, probably occurred from going into pot holes. The second unit was much better. The rebound spacers have been replaced in both units, both unit graphs look very good now.”

Upon their return all that was needed were new spring seats and spacer washers

twine.
    Thanks
    The PCV has been renewed. I changed it 3 years ago when i got the car, but lately i haven't been satisfied with the condition of it so decided to replace it to be sure everything is ok and free from blockages. Whilst in the area, I replaced the vac tree seal, TB hose, TB gasket, distributor cap and rotor arm. Then changed an oil and filter which it was due anyway using 10w40 Magnetic.

Whilst this was going on I had the wheels refurbished, fitted a brand new grill and gave the rear brakes a spruce up. Haven't taken close up pictures of the wheels yet as i’m planning on giving the car a thorough clean over the bank holiday weekend.

The front end is pretty filthy here but this is with the new grill fitted. Replaced the indicators couple of months ago for new and replaced the headlight lenses for new LHD type ones couple years ago.

Not pictured here, but the all 20 wheel bolts have now been replaced with new genuine.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Saaamon For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Sunday 9th August 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Lovely level of detail, certainly looking after the car, nice to see!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Sunday 9th August 2015),The Flying Moose (Sunday 9th August 2015)

twine.
    Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Win all round, when you got your new grille did you have to re-use the diagonal? I don't think they come with that do they as they are non-genuine?

Cheers

1996 850 T5 Estate (Manual) - 215k miles, 267bhp/280lb/ft
    RICA 304, De-cat, 'R' front bumper, Wooden steering wheel

FOR SALE - PM Me!

twine.
    Thanks

Had the tracking done with some extra cambering set, but unfortunately after putting some miles on the car i still have a problem with one of the valves on the shock. Its leaking out of the rebound adjuster as you can see in the picture, so both are going back to KW for further repair.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Saaamon For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 26th August 2015)

twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max M4X WW View Post
    Win all round, when you got your new grille did you have to re-use the diagonal? I don't think they come with that do they as they are non-genuine?

Cheers
    Yes i re-used the emblem. I wouldn't have thought genuine grills come with the emblems either.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Certainly spent some time on it, shame about the kw's what the cost for a service on them

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Wednesday 26th August 2015)

twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    Certainly spent some time on it, shame about the kw's what the cost for a service on them
    Service for a V2 is £120 per unit, that doesn't include any work to the valve. There was a miscommunication which resulted in them just carrying out a service, they have acknowledge this though and are bending over backwards to put it right.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Holy thread revival!! I'm now the proud owner of M853! Bought if off you in March this year. Still going strong!

Had the gearbox fitted, with an R clutch, new driveshaft, new downpipe, new PAS pump (although that doesn't seem to have cured the sometimes juddery steering when manouvering - although it happens very rarely!), four new tyres and will have discs, pads and a front wheel bearing soon. Also sourced some original 850 boot badges and refitted a towbar for a thule rack.

Rear dampers need servicing again as they've stopped returning so has some stock V70 ones on currently and ABS issue still needs tracing (codes suggest it's the unit). I'm local to Shemtek so it's been there for the majority of the big jobs! As dailys go, aside from the MPG and a few more stone chips to the bonnet, it's epic!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5Panda For This Useful Post:

kmb (Saturday 29th September 2018),Ric@rdo (Wednesday 26th September 2018)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome, I wondered where Saaamon had gone, do you know what he bought after the 850?

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Hello and welcome, it's nice to see the cars history continue...but you may wish to start your own continuation thread though. I don't know the age of the kw's that were fitted, but they strike me as troublesome for such an expensive part, I'd expect greater longevity on a part that is meant to be the best you can get, I'm thinking I'll be having bc's for mine

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thread Information