Join Today
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Enough was enough for me so today I took my car to a very knowledgeable man who went through the T5 with a fine tooth comb and did a pressure test on the manifold, some diagnostics and even used a rolling road to test various aspects of the cars performance. You'll have to forgive me here, I'm going to try and paraphrase and abbreviate the problems found as best I can.

Not surprisingly the car was way down on power, as I always thought it had been for some months. He said that the engine sounded very good, aside that was from the detonation (I'll explain this in a moment). The manifold pressure is fine and so there is no problem there.

He said that the power of the car is effectively being "pinned" (his words), because the Mass Air Flow Sensor is faulty and is running in what basically is "safe mode". The air flow was reaching a peak of 650g (per second?) or near that figure and wouldn't go any higher so the ECU wouldn't allow the car to power to it's full potential.

The detonation, he agreed, was because the car was under-fueling and then temporarily over-fueling when my foot comes of the gas. This is followed by a 'pop' and backfire which he confirmed was detonation from the incorrect air to fuel mixture.

He said that to fix this problem including my boost and power issue, and that of the car stalling at start-up, I need to replace my MAF sensor and this should sort the issue out and restore the T5 to normal performance. To be fair, he did say as well, to avoid the really cheap MAF sensors and to use either OE or Dealer approved parts.

So I went to my local Main Stealer today, who were actually very helpful on the Parts side of things, and asked for a price for a new MAF. How much? An eye watering £305 including the Chancellors pocket money!

Obviously, there's no way I'm paying that for a MAF sensor, so the Parts guy phoned one of their 'partnership suppliers' whom they use for parts and sourced me a quality aftermarket (new) unit for around £98 + VAT. Better I thought. He said they've used these units before and fitted them to customers cars without any issues, and coming from a Main Dealer, I take his word as gospel on that. I'm picking it up in the morning and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Anyway, bit of a strange day today overall. On a footnote, I've taken the Brakes off of Bonny's front o/s and found the wheel bearing is solid, nothing wrong with it! The problem was the brake disc retaining bolt was too short. I did feel like a complete plank tbf!

Might as well change them for new ones now hadn't I, as it's pretty much apart already. I can always sell the old ones on ebay - there's someone worse of than me somewhere.

Right, I'll avoid going off-topic but the main thing here was the diagnostics which I hope someone else will find useful one day after reading this thread. Updates to follow!
    i almost missed this, what exactly do you mean 'disk retaining bolt' are you not aware that the disks are held on by the wheel and wheel bolts, the little bolt is just there to make it easier to put your wheel on, so what exactly is the problem with the car?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    i almost missed this, what exactly do you mean 'disk retaining bolt' are you not aware that the disks are held on by the wheel and wheel bolts, the little bolt is just there to make it easier to put your wheel on, so what exactly is the problem with the car?
    You should have gone to Specsavers.

As the whole wheel bearing and brake assembly is coming off the car and I'm replacing the wheel bearings, and using new bolts from Volvo, I'm sure the problem will be solved fairly promptly, whatever it is.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks

As the whole wheel bearing and brake assembly is coming off the car and I'm replacing the wheel bearings, and using new bolts from Volvo, I'm sure the problem will be solved fairly promptly, whatever it is.
    So, are you talking about the drive shaft bolt? I take it the problem was caused by you 'repairing' your inner cv joint.
    Last edited by claymore; Tuesday 16th September 2014 at 22:45.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    So, are you talking about the drive shaft bolt?

No, the D/S bolt is fine and was replaced when doing the shafts, The problem was there before the driveshaft replacement anyway.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    No, the D/S bolt is fine and was replaced when doing the shafts, The problem was there before the driveshaft replacement anyway.
    So, what bolt are you talking about?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    So, what bolt are you talking about?
    I'm replacing every single bolt that holds the wheel bearing and brakes on, with new ones from Volvo.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    I'm replacing every single bolt that holds the wheel bearing and brakes on, with new ones from Volvo.
    Well, that will save you a lot of money.....lol
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

This user has no status
    Thanks

James, not trying to be antagonistic here, but we need a better explanation! The exchange between you and Claymore has left me scratching my head. You said....

Anyway, bit of a strange day today overall. On a footnote, I've taken the Brakes off of Bonny's front o/s and found the wheel bearing is solid, nothing wrong with it! The problem was the brake disc retaining bolt was too short. I did feel like a complete plank tbf!
    ...so to me, it sounds like from the above you've identified the problem and cited the "brake disc retaining bolt" as the culprit. Like Claymore, the only part I can think you mean from that description is the small bolt that holds the disc to the hub (whose main purpose really is to stop the disc moving when the wheels are removed, and to make it easier to position the wheel when refitting it).

I do need to go to Specsavers, but only because my 1 year old son pulled my glasses off last night and bent the arms That aside, I can't work out quite what you meant if it's not as Claymore and I have said
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Owner of a SupeRioR
    Thanks
    I'm gonna start calling you 'Sarcy Sharkey'...
    Be my guest. Sticks and stones and all that!
    Doing my bit for the environment by driving a 'Green' car!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Good luck getting the wheel bearing bolts off, TBH it seems fairly futile to just change the wheel bearing bolts, they only need doing when the wheel bearing's changed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 17th September 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Got some bad news for Lee, I've found cheaper ones! They're genuine Bosch units and guess what, they're brand new....

Even with shipping from the USA they come in at just over £80. Good things come to those who wait, right Lee...?????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Air-...item1c40da6937
    Or this one for £79.99 (definitely not a one off)!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2215506988...MakeTrack=true
    Not sure why it's bad news for me because neither of these two MAFS will work on a 2.5R, only the 2.4T5.

Also, you will pay more (as Gold N Brown says) in import tax when you go to collect the item from the courier depot. Expect to pay about £110 total. So, I'm not sure why your .......at me?? Just looks like an immature response to me

Anyway, it looks like you'll be ok as they are clearly compatible with your car. Hope it works for you.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Good luck getting the wheel bearing bolts off, TBH it seems fairly futile to just change the wheel bearing bolts, they only need doing when the wheel bearing's changed.
    He'll be fine mate, he's got an angle grinder!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 17th September 2014),MIKESC70T5 (Wednesday 17th September 2014),stribo (Wednesday 17th September 2014)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    What are you on about ..... The wheel bearing bolts came off with a little effort and didn't break or strip at the thread. The next stage is to work the bearing out of the hub.

Oh, I'll get ya' some photos on Friday when I have some time off before work if you like. The bolts aren't that hard to get out Steve, honestly.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    He'll be fine mate, he's got an angle grinder!
    I refer you to my previous reply.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    And I am changing the wheel bearings too - I've come this far so I might as well swap them over for new ones. I'll post up some pictures of those as I fit them if you like, just in case you don't actually believe I've managed to do it.....?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    What are you on about ..... The wheel bearing bolts came off with a little effort and didn't break or strip at the thread. The next stage is to work the bearing out of the hub.

Oh, I'll get ya' some photos on Friday when I have some time off before work if you like. The bolts aren't that hard to get out Steve, honestly.
    But the new wheel bearing comes built up and you will get the bolts you need 4 to bolt the bearing assembly & 1 for the drive shaft.

[/URL

So why would you buy bolts from volvo ?.

Just looked up the tightening torque it's stage 1 to 20 Nm then 45 Nm then 60 degrees to finish,for the M12 bolts
    Last edited by Harvey; Wednesday 17th September 2014 at 21:42.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 17th September 2014),LeeT5 (Thursday 18th September 2014)

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks

You've lost me now, are the P2's different to the P1's the hub assembly comes as a complete unit, you don't just change a bearing.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    No, I meant to day the bearing and assembly out of the stub axle.

The ones I purchased didn't come with bolts.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    If nothing else, it's certainly entertaining reading James threads lol.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 18th September 2014),S70T5Chris (Wednesday 17th September 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts

I beg to differ, when I tried to do them on the C70 2 came off o.k., and 2 rounded off as the heads are quite soft. If you managed to get them all out in 1 piece then fair play to you.

Thread Information