Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC View Post
    Hi Frankie - thanks for that - I was just starting to feel like a remap would solve my probs......
    The delay is a freakin joke and I just can't live with it so not sure whether to think Smithy who said all my negatives would changed by a remap, or your assertion that the delay would still be there despite a remap would actually turn out in reality......
    Speak to peeps who have had there car remapped also speak to the remappers too like don kalmor union ,hlm bromsgrove hamish , and chad rica agent .

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cool thanks mate, I'm in Norwich, Norfolk, but I travel about a lot so where are you.
    Well now twin turbo really would solve all my probs - didn't know Volvo had got into them.

This user has no status

Thanks
    @smithy yeah had HLM recommended by Volvo parts in Swaffham, Norfolk just earlier. Bromsgrove is a bit of a mission from Norwich but Wrights in Attleborough was also recommended and they are about half an hour away, Rika suppliers and fitters, heard of them?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Hi Frankie - thanks for that - I was just starting to feel like a remap would solve my probs......
    The delay is a freakin joke and I just can't live with it so not sure whether to think Smithy who said all my negatives would changed by a remap, or your assertion that the delay would still be there despite a remap would actually turn out in reality......
    im sure it is down to the actual remappers themselves whether to keep the delay or not, my bmw x5 was mapped and the delay was taken out

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I hope you find a remap to your liking
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Sounds odd to me. Have you had the codes read? Its not an engine management problem is it? Have you driven another identical model and found it to be the same? A remap isn't going to fix a fault if there is one. Are you talking about diesel lag or a definite pulling of power as you set off?

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    There's a discussion on the delay in the thread below...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv...p/t-13862.html

One of the points made is that the box will put itself into neutral when waiting at the lights etc

My S60 has the 6-speed geartronic box & does it also or is supposed to at least..

Quote by Julian Assange:
    One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

That might be adding to the lag - the time from N to D.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The xc90 was the only model not to get the twinturbo D5 engine. I've been watching the above thread on VOC and it would appear that the polestar map eliminates the delay somewhat.
    Depending on the model year, there's also what Don often refers to as the "pincode banditry" meaning it's very difficult to map sone of the newer models. Worth chatting to some of the tuners imo.

The trek to bromsgrove isn't that bad when you consider the fun you'll have on the way home. 476 miles for me last time.
    Last edited by M-R-P; Sunday 27th July 2014 at 08:24.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    There's a discussion on the delay in the thread below...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv...p/t-13862.html

One of the points made is that the box will put itself into neutral when waiting at the lights etc

My S60 has the 6-speed geartronic box & does it also or is supposed to at least..

Quote by Julian Assange:
    One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

That might be adding to the lag - the time from N to D.
    i just read that whole thread and i dont believe that n-d thing as when you put your foot on the throttle it moves instantly but very slowly you can then count to 3 before getting the rush of acceleration, i think this is why citroen quote a crap 8.9 seconds for a 0-60 in the c6 2.7d because it takes 2 seconds for it to get going properly

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    i just read that whole thread and i dont believe that n-d thing as when you put your foot on the throttle it moves instantly but very slowly you can then count to 3 before getting the rush of acceleration, i think this is why citroen quote a crap 8.9 seconds for a 0-60 in the c6 2.7d because it takes 2 seconds for it to get going properly
    it says mine does it but if you are sat in D for a while at idle, foot on the brake, then move the selector to N you can feel the whole car move slightly - as if it was in Drive the whole time. Not sure if I explained that very well!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    it says mine does it but if you are sat in D for a while at idle, foot on the brake, then move the selector to N you can feel the whole car move slightly - as if it was in Drive the whole time. Not sure if I explained that very well!
    if you're at a roundabout or a red light with foot on brake and the instant you let your foot off brake it moves forward it must be in drive or it wouldnt move at all, i think alot of the problem is dual parallel turbos which dont kick in till 2000rpms, had there been sequential turbos one would come in at lower rpms, that said the main issue is the gearboxes are weak so torque is limited from pull off

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 27th July 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for all the posts.
    @redbrick - just had the car test driven by very experienced master tech and Volvo nut - he said car was behaving as it should.
    The car is actually not too bad at all from a standing start, it's at its worst when you are decelerating towards a roundabout - you see an opportunity to nip out before some freakin tractor comes around - put your foot down (with the car still moving)....and nothing!!! meanwhile said tractor is bearing down on Volvo with irate farmer making obscene gestures. That or similar has happened 2 or 3 times in the month that I've owned it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The xc90 was the only model not to get the twinturbo D5 engine. I've been watching the above thread on VOC and it would appear that the polestar map eliminates the delay somewhat.
    Depending on the model year, there's also what Don often refers to as the "pincode banditry" meaning it's very difficult to map sone of the newer models. Worth chatting to some of the tuners imo.

The trek to bromsgrove isn't that bad when you consider the fun you'll have on the way home. 476 miles for me last time.
    Thanks MRP. Surely my 2008 D5 doesn't have a twin Turbo?
    I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to get a remap as -just for my particular year - there was no polestar available. Mine was the change over year but hopefully Rica will still have one. I'll certainly be talking to Wrights in Attleborough just half an hour away who are Rica dealers and installers, but HLM were recommended ahead of them by the master tech guy who test drove mine the other day, so I'll phone them too. If its a standard product from Rica does it matter who installs it?
    Yeah I drove to Leeds to buy this car, a good 4 hour drive down the A1 - A17, a horrible single lane rd with lots of slow trucks - you bet I had fun overtaking! for the 1st drive in d5 got it to over 125 on what is a small rd and it had plenty left I reckon.

Thanks
    There's no twinturbo xc90s mate..

Remaps are simply a software upload and can be done by anybody with the right hardware. (it's a bit more complicated than that but you get the idea)

I hope you've just admitted to doing 125kph on a public forum as 125mph on a public road is a bit naughty

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Sounds like you need the neutral stop software that early geartronics got as an update. Stops it changing into neutral while decelerating.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdavis For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 27th July 2014),RGC (Sunday 27th July 2014)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanks MRP. Surely my 2008 D5 doesn't have a twin Turbo?
    I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to get a remap as -just for my particular year - there was no polestar available. Mine was the change over year but hopefully Rica will still have one. I'll certainly be talking to Wrights in Attleborough just half an hour away who are Rica dealers and installers, but HLM were recommended ahead of them by the master tech guy who test drove mine the other day, so I'll phone them too. If its a standard product from Rica does it matter who installs it?
    Yeah I drove to Leeds to buy this car, a good 4 hour drive down the A1 - A17, a horrible single lane rd with lots of slow trucks - you bet I had fun overtaking! for the 1st drive in d5 got it to over 125 on what is a small rd and it had plenty left I reckon.
    no phase 2 d5's had twin turbos only later phase 3 models such as blackdogs, earlier phase 3's didnt have twins and still had 185bhp

19. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

RGC (Sunday 27th July 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    There's no twinturbo xc90s mate..

Remaps are simply a software upload and can be done by anybody with the right hardware. (it's a bit more complicated than that but you get the idea)

I hope you've just admitted to doing 125kph on a public forum as 125mph on a public road is a bit naughty
    Of course Kph.........ahem

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Sounds like you need the neutral stop software that early geartronics got as an update. Stops it changing into neutral while decelerating.
    Thanks - will look into this. Just to clarify...when approaching roundabouts I've gone from braking (rather than coasting) to hard acceleration - that is when the delay happens worst.
    I've this car checked and checked again so thoroughly as have had some phase 2's that have been nightmares.
    Main dealers reckon this has had all the updates - would the neutral stop update have been automatically installed.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 28th July 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    Does exactly what a remap does without things like increased torque and bhp and better mpg... One of those throttle thingies plus a DTi tuning box would be ok, totalling about 300 quid... How much is a remap these days?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information