Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

New V70 D5 seriously flawed - where to go from here?

From 760 turbo intercooler, through phase 2 v70's of different specs to this new V70 D5 auto has been quite a journey. My month old 2008 D5 has been a thrill - in many ways its awesome, but the Turbo/auto box/diesel engine are a wicked mix and create an unacceptable drive for me.
    This is the first diesel I've owned and the first turbo auto - so I guess I'm in shock, and have almost been in a couple of scrapes because of the unbelievable delay in power response. I've owned Volvo's all my life and am really shocked that they have produced a car with this kind of lax performance/responsiveness. So where do I go from here?
    1. A remap? I've been told by Holden Volvo in Norwich that there is no Polestar for this particular year and been to Swaffham Volvo Spares where I was advised to look into a rika remap at Wrights in Attleborough. Has anyone tried a rika stage 1 or 2 remap on a D5?
    2. Do I get rid and buy a petrol phase 3 v70? Are these engines still all Volvo or does the D5 pertain only to the diesels? From what I can see all the phase 3 petrol engines still have a turbo - ideally I'd love to have just a really powerful petrol engine with no turbo....so I've been looking at the 3.2L models, anyone had any experience of these? Still a genuine Volvo engine? I know an auto box will not match up to manual instant power - but this will be a hard working work car and I'm just not into a million gear changes a day! (the 1998 v70 2.5 petrol auto I had was very quick anyway)
    3. I got the new D5 for about 3.5k below the forecourt book price so I could spend some money on it, but will a remap make enough difference? It has really nasty Spartes alloys, no spoiler, needs iphone mounting and all the cargo nets.....so could spend, spend spend............would love some canicula alloys but £1400 ish????
    What do you guys think?

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Waw, that was hard to read,

Ohh, and welcome to the forum.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Hello & welcome

Biggest first post ever got to expect a little bit of delay with an auto...

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    did you not testdrive & notice the lack of power before you bought the car?

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Blackdog would be the man to speak to, he's on his second D5 auto, and seems happy with it, I know he's had his remapped, but don't know who by. What I do know is that he's used it on the drag strip, and on the track at Castle Combe, so it can't be that bad.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I'd try a remap, £300-£400 would be a fairly cheap fix before you start looking at changing cars.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

This user has no status

Thanks
    HiGuys.....wow thanks for the responses.
    @Claymore - shall I use a large size font lol....thanks for the welcome, feels like fellow geek heaven!
    @jamesy - yes but me old V70 2.5 petrol 1998 auto was never caught napping like this - but it didn't have a turbo.
    @fandango - sure it happened 1st time I pulled away and I was like WTF! but thought I would get used to it, also was a bit blown away with the rest of the cars awesomeness!
    Guess I'm really interested in where to go from here!
    What about the 3.2L there is a sexy one with only 34K on the clock for 10k ish..............I got mine for 7k with 64k on the clock, so could sell it for 8.5k and add some....temptation on one shoulder missus on the other...grrr

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RGC For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 26th July 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Wow this such a cool forum - so many replies when I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......
    like me haha. Mine is black pearl which is lurvely....
    Who is black dog? how can I pm him...serious newbie behaviour here...ahem.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RGC For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Saturday 26th July 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    v70 graham - thanks mate - yeah I've been told around 500 - 600 for a rika stage 1. I'd go for it in a flash if I didn't feel the need to change the alloys and get a spoiler as well!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RGC View Post
    Wow this such a cool forum - so many replies when I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......like me haha. Mine is black pearl which is lurvely....
    It's mine & I'll polish it as fast as I like

To find a member look under the Community drop down menu above, then chose member list

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Wow this such a cool forum - so many replies when I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......
    like me haha. Mine is black pearl which is lurvely....
    Click on the link, then click on send private message.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/member.php?5215-Blackdog

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Here is a link for Rica...take the numbers with a pinch of salt but looks like a bit of scope for a mapping rather than binning the car

http://www.rica.nl/chiptuning.php

Is it the 215 hp version?

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    I thought everyone would be on the beach or barbying. Instead you must all be waxing your motors lol......
    we had the bbq for dinner, & mine only get washed when it rains

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sadly only the 185....hold it what am I saying? That is impressively powerful once it is up and running. Worrying isn't it? Am turning into a horse fetishist! now 185 of them cannot satisfy me ffs...............where will this end up?
    Yeah think you are right about going for the map, then a set of Canicula alloys, privacy tints, spoiler - hold it though could have got a petrol auto 215bhp auto with 43k on the clock for the same outlay - this is my dilemma.
    Also what to make of the 3.2 engine at 235bhp, or even the AWD 3L at 285bhp? Need some background on those engines if I'm going to consider them as alternatives.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Keep the d5 mate and get a remap that will change your negatives straight away .The is a rica and mte and also autotech too .all well known and good remaps .

18. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Saturday 26th July 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Sadly only the 185....hold it what am I saying? That is impressively powerful once it is up and running. Worrying isn't it? Am turning into a horse fetishist! now 185 of them cannot satisfy me ffs...............where will this end up?
    Yeah think you are right about going for the map, then a set of Canicula alloys, privacy tints, spoiler - hold it though could have got a petrol auto 215bhp auto with 43k on the clock for the same outlay - this is my dilemma.
    Also what to make of the 3.2 engine at 235bhp, or even the AWD 3L at 285bhp? Need some background on those engines if I'm going to consider them as alternatives.
    I couldn't bring myself to pay the road tax for the big petrols, 500 quid a year ha

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    i have the same problem with my citroen c6, which has got the same gearbox as your volvo, the gearboxes are japanese and are not very strong and have a pretty low torque limit, the delay is to protect the gearbox from all that instant torque, (although i have had mine remapped and the delay is still there, but i know why it is there and i totally agree with you it can be dangerous when pulling out in traffic and get a 2 second delay lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    @Smithy - thanks mate, I guess this is the kind of encouragement I'm looking for to help make this decision - or someone to rave about the 3L. I'm going to speak to the local rika supplier on Monday.
    @jamesy - errr yeah that's a good point, doh. Thought ok I'll swallow the extra mpg but if tax is that much...wow!

What on earth could I do with a doggy set of Spartes alloys if I get the sexy Canicula's? Herb planters in the garden ffs? ebay I guess? Also I heard £600 to fit a spoiler....nahhh surely not. Spoiler takes the V70 to a different class imo.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Frankie - thanks for that - I was just starting to feel like a remap would solve my probs......
    The delay is a freakin joke and I just can't live with it so not sure whether to think Smithy who said all my negatives would changed by a remap, or your assertion that the delay would still be there despite a remap would actually turn out in reality......

538 Nm on the old car. Now
    that was torquing!
    Thanks
    Where are you based?
    If you are localish I am more than happy to take you out in mine but it was the 215 twin turbo.

I will also be happy to talk face to face about remapping but not on the open forum or on pm.

Thread Information