Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

v70 phase 2 - just about to buy , but.......

Hi Guys,

Just about to buy a 2001 Phase 2 V70 (long time returning to the forum but hey-ho! Couldn't stay away!) but it has a couple of issues. I know the car and my mate has had it for 4 years now, standard no remap and it has a geartronic box.

It just passed the MOT no advisories, but there is an aircon leak as it only stays cold for a couple of weeks, the other is that the ABS/STC light is on, and he said the service guy suggested replacing the box.

Now I am old school, and miss my 855 like mad, are these expensive problems in the making, or should I take the plunge at £1000 for a 130k miles car that has been looked after?

All insults are welcome!
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Even with the problems fixed, that's an 800 quid car.

The ABS ECU could be at fault but it might just be a sensor, you'd need to plug it into a proper diagnostic to find out.

Early geartronics are a ticking time bomb too.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    How did it pass the M.O.T. with the ABS light on?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Even with the problems fixed, that's an 800 quid car.

The ABS ECU could be at fault but it might just be a sensor, you'd need to plug it into a proper diagnostic to find out.

Early geartronics are a ticking time bomb too.
    I think you should think twice,the air con could cost £200-£300 if it's a easy fix,the gearbox is not the best.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babybadger View Post
    .....and miss my 855 like mad, are these expensive problems in the making.....
    I suggest getting a decent 855 and yes they could be, good luck whatever you decide.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah if you miss your 855 then don't get an early tiptronic V70, hold out and find one you really want that you don't have second thoughts about buying.

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Having just parted company with a v70 p2 t5 geartronic I can honestly say unless you have the time and money to put into it (you are looking at at least £1k for a 'box rebuild) then walk away.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Babybadger View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just about to buy a 2001 Phase 2 V70 (long time returning to the forum but hey-ho! Couldn't stay away!) but it has a couple of issues. I know the car and my mate has had it for 4 years now, standard no remap and it has a geartronic box.

It just passed the MOT no advisories, but there is an aircon leak as it only stays cold for a couple of weeks, the other is that the ABS/STC light is on, and he said the service guy suggested replacing the box.

Now I am old school, and miss my 855 like mad, are these expensive problems in the making, or should I take the plunge at £1000 for a 130k miles car that has been looked after?

All insults are welcome!
    I've been harshly criticised on here recently for buying and helping someone else look for, an early P2 model. You may well get the same treatment (it'll be interesting to see how people react your thread). Having said that....

They can be a bargain but you'll have to be prepared to stick some cash away for the components that will inevitably fail from 'wear and tear' on these older models. I've got 2, a 2001 V70 T5 and a 2002 S60 D5 and to be honest they are brilliant cars when they are running right.

Try and negotiate a little off the price and check for service history, repairs and if you can look at the MOT history online before you buy it then it should give you an indication of the sort of treatment it's had as you can see any patterns in the failures and advisories. For example, my V70 was often flagged up for suspension and brake related issues prior to me buying it which meant it was driven a little hard, something that I've spent some time rectifying.

Hope that helps and GLWTB.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Welcome back!

I agree with Martin, in it's current form I would not pay more than £700 knowing that the air-con leaks and I would question how on earth it got through an MOT with the ABS light on?!?

The cause of the ABS light being on is most likely due to a broken ABS reluctor ring. Cheap to fix and even if it's damaged the ABS sensor on that axle, it's still relatively cheap to fix.

Regarding the A/C, that's not going to be a cheap fix. At best it will cost you £50 diagnosis using a coloured dye and hopefully a leaking seal on a easily accessible pipe....but sods law says it will be either the Condensor about £150 for the part (which means the front end has to be removed) or the evaporator (which IIRC lives inside the middle of the dash inside the car and is a dash out job to replace) and there about £200.

TBH, I know it's a mates car and it's been well looked after but imho it's not worth £1k in it's present condition. You would find a better used example elsewhere if you look hard enough.

Regarding the gearbox....well, like all 2nd hand cars.....you take the risk. I wouldn't be put off by some comments. There not that fragile! If the transmission fluid is nice and clear and does not smell burnt and it drives smooth and changes gear without clunking then you'll probably never have an issue. If it's anything other than the above, as Harvey says, walk away!

My biggest worry for you with an early P2 would be the DIM. If that fails then it will right of the car instantly. You could get it repaired but it will still cost you £200 and there's no guarantee it will work!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post

Regarding the gearbox....well, like all 2nd hand cars.....you take the risk. I wouldn't be put off by some comments. There not that fragile! If the transmission fluid is nice and clear and does not smell burnt and it drives smooth and changes gear without clunking then you'll probably never have an issue. If it's anything other than the above, as Harvey says, walk away!
    John's gearbox (Kyebosh's old motor) seemed fine when he bought it but look at it now... waiting to be broke
    I've also heard a few cases of the gaytronic starting to play up so the owner changes the tranny oil and moves the car on asap. "fluid looks clean" isn't always a guarantee of good health - it's still a 12 year old auto box with 140K on it.

My biggest worry for you with an early P2 would be the DIM. If that fails then it will right of the car instantly. You could get it repaired but it will still cost you £200 and there's no guarantee it will work!

Oh sweet memories... £732.50

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

will it never end?
    Thanks
    John's gearbox (Kyebosh's old motor) seemed fine when he bought it but look at it now... waiting to be broke
    I've also heard a few cases of the gaytronic starting to play up so the owner changes the tranny oil and moves the car on asap. "fluid looks clean" isn't always a guarantee of good health - it's still a 12 year old auto box with 140K on it.

Oh sweet memories... £732.50
    Did you have DIM problems? You've never mentioned it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Did you have DIM problems? You've never mentioned it.
    Yeah, I kept it quiet as I know nobody really wants to know...

post the vid?

Don't post the vid?

Post the vid?

hmmm....

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thanks
    Post the video!

I believe my old car (kyebosh's) is being fixed by the new owner.
    Personally think anything over £500 for a car with known faults as listed is a no go.
    Your choice though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Post the video!

I believe my old car (kyebosh's) is being fixed by the new owner.
    Personally think anything over £500 for a car with known faults as listed is a no go.
    Your choice though.
    Glad to hear it's being sorted mate, bloody nice car that.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    It has 135,000 on the clock (he got it at 100,000), its a 51 reg, not sure on the module , but sure he said it was the ABS/STC unit, and it had an error.... Will have to ask, but am worried about potentials, my old 855 with the 4 speed auto was awesome never missed a beat.

Will update soon, but thanks for your input. I think i would rather have an 850R or T5-R to be safe, manual or auto , so if anyone knows a good clean well looked after one? (standard if possible)
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!

Thanks
    Seen a few for sale on the "sexy volvo club" page on faceache.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    How did it pass the M.O.T. with the ABS light on?
    Not light on the ABS , but error on DSTC module

Thanks
    The issues you've described sound very similar to how mine was. I also had an intermittent dstc service required message which according to Vida was an accelerometer sensor fault. Never could find it as even using the technical drawing it wasn't there.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Welcome back!

I agree with Martin, in it's current form I would not pay more than £700 knowing that the air-con leaks and I would question how on earth it got through an MOT with the ABS light on?!?

The cause of the ABS light being on is most likely due to a broken ABS reluctor ring. Cheap to fix and even if it's damaged the ABS sensor on that axle, it's still relatively cheap to fix.

Regarding the A/C, that's not going to be a cheap fix. At best it will cost you £50 diagnosis using a coloured dye and hopefully a leaking seal on a easily accessible pipe....but sods law says it will be either the Condensor about £150 for the part (which means the front end has to be removed) or the evaporator (which IIRC lives inside the middle of the dash inside the car and is a dash out job to replace) and there about £200.

TBH, I know it's a mates car and it's been well looked after but imho it's not worth £1k in it's present condition. You would find a better used example elsewhere if you look hard enough.

Further to the above.....

Don't forget the ABS Module and the Pump motor. On my V70 VIDA flagged up the pump motor was at fault and it turned out to be spot on, so I swapped it for a second hand unit (new units are over £900 from Volvo ), and I've not had a problem since. It then just needs some Dot 5.1 and a bit of brake bleeding but that wasn't expensive.

It's also worth checking the wheel speed sensor as they can also go.

A/C could be down to a leak but let's not forget the compressor pump can fail, it happened on my Dad's Skoda VRS because some people let the systems run dry and it knackers the pumps, then they fail. Of course, A/C is a totally optional fix, it depends on how important it is to you. And if you shop about you can get the condenser for a lot less than £150, there's quality after market and even secondhand units for next to nothing. And if you do the work yourself, you can save a fortune but you'll obviously need the system vacuum cleared first to absolutely make sure there is no gas in the system.

The DIM problems mostly effected 2002 MY. How do I know this? Because I was told my my local Volvo dealer who said that most of the DIM failures they dealt with (note I say, "most"), were from the 2002 model year. Not surprisingly, the DIM on my S60 was re-soldered prior to me owning the car and guess what, it's a 2002 MY car.
    Last edited by JamesT5; Wednesday 23rd July 2014 at 20:25. Reason: Typos

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Glad to hear it's being sorted mate, bloody nice car that.
    Agreed, saw it at the Christmas do last year, unfortunately I only got a picture of it in the dark.

Thread Information