Join Today
    Getting through tyres...
    Thanks

Severe Rumble when Turning Right

Hi guys,

I've got a servre rumble when turning right, the car vibrates you can feel it a lot in the clutch pedal. I have replaced all the engine mounts except for the hydraulic ones. 2 of the 3 were shot, I have also replaced the wishbone on the left which was almost gone. The problem has got a little bit better but still remains

It gets worse when slowing down from speed, don't think its the wheel bearing as I'm unable to rock the wheels. Ive tried disconnecting the abs, the car got a lot more jerky and revs dropped quicker but the problem remained

I've run out of ideas now, going to refurb the rear brakes at the weekend as the car does slip and knock a little when using my handbrake on sharp hills. Worth a shot

Can anyone advise? thanks in advance

Will,

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Might be worth checking your CV joints.

Getting through tyres...
    Thanks
    Cheers Stribo, is there any way i can check them before replacing?

Is there anything else it could be?

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    The wheel bearings on these can be nigh on falling to pieces and the wheel won't 'rock'. But if you jack the car up and spin the wheel with one hand on the coil spring you will feel the vibration if it's buggered.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:

WillT5 (Thursday 26th June 2014)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I'd go with the wheel bearings, a 'rumble' is typical of a wheel bearing on it's way out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Getting through tyres...
    Thanks
    Il give that a go tonight, cheers guys. Its like a grind/rumble, before i changed the engine mounts it effected the steering when turning right. Ive also checked and re-geased the breaks and couldn't find any evidence of metal on metal around the suspension

Do the hydraulic engine mounts go bad, anyone know what sort of mileage?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT5 View Post
    Il give that a go tonight, cheers guys. Its like a grind/rumble, before i changed the engine mounts it effected the steering when turning right. Ive also checked and re-geased the breaks and couldn't find any evidence of metal on metal around the suspension

Do the hydraulic engine mounts go bad, anyone know what sort of mileage?
    I don't think the engine mounts are hydraulic mate, they're fixed. A CV joint will generally 'click click click' when it's worn whereas the wheel bearings tend to rumble which gets worse when you corner.

My advice personally, is don't buy cheap parts if you can help it, especially wheel bearings. I'm not suggesting you were going to buy cheap parts but just in case. I've had the misfortune of seeing the cheaper parts fail prematurely (i.e. strut spring seats and ball joints), so I now fit OE Volvo or uprated parts to the car because they last longer and are better value in the long run (and hence I now replace rubber bushing with PU where possible). Also change both sides of the car because where one part has gone the other is probably not far behind.

If you're doing the work yourself, I'd advice getting new bolts because the wheel bearing bolts are 'stretch bolts' so the thread can strip and they can snap and cause all sorts of issues. New bolts may come with the OE parts anyway but if not then I'd advise getting some.

Ok, I hope that helps and good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Getting through tyres...
    Thanks
    Hi James,

Thanks very much for this James. I checked the passenger side and felt the spring and got a definite rumble so i have ordered a new wheel bearing (£107, ouch), a meter long breaker bar and a 36mm socket. Il crack on with it next weekend and hopefully no more rumble!

I try not to buy cheap parts (wallet allowing), my mechanic mate did the opposite side with an SNR so i have bought the same for this side

Wish me luck, il report back

Will,

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    I don't think the engine mounts are hydraulic mate, they're fixed. A CV joint will generally 'click click click' when it's worn whereas the wheel bearings tend to rumble which gets worse when you corner.

My advice personally, is don't buy cheap parts if you can help it, especially wheel bearings. I'm not suggesting you were going to buy cheap parts but just in case. I've had the misfortune of seeing the cheaper parts fail prematurely (i.e. strut spring seats and ball joints), so I now fit OE Volvo or uprated parts to the car because they last longer and are better value in the long run (and hence I now replace rubber bushing with PU where possible). Also change both sides of the car because where one part has gone the other is probably not far behind.

If you're doing the work yourself, I'd advice getting new bolts because the wheel bearing bolts are 'stretch bolts' so the thread can strip and they can snap and cause all sorts of issues. New bolts may come with the OE parts anyway but if not then I'd advise getting some.

Ok, I hope that helps and good luck!
    Ohh, dear, James with his lack of knowledge again, if you don't know the answer, don't pretend that you do.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Owner of a SupeRioR
    Thanks
    James I suggest you do your research before making statements!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vo...l=en-GB&espv=1
    Doing my bit for the environment by driving a 'Green' car!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkey R For This Useful Post:

claymore (Friday 27th June 2014)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Ohh, dear, James with his lack of knowledge again, if you don't know the answer, don't pretend that you do.

I didn't pretend anything Colin, I said "I don't think" rather that saying I did know. Besides, it's all a bit academic seeing the issue here seems to be the wheel bearings anyway.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    I didn't pretend anything Colin, I said "I don't think" rather that saying I did know. Besides, it's all a bit academic seeing the issue here seems to be the wheel bearings anyway.
    It's obvious to read that the "I don't think" was ment in a sarcastic way or you wouldn't have said "they're fixed"
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    It's obvious to read that the "I don't think" was ment in a sarcastic way or you wouldn't have said "they're fixed"
    No it wasn't sarcastic at all, I was serious. The fact I said they're "fixed" was merely an extension of the opening words...

Getting through tyres...
    Thanks
    James i could kiss you! Did the wheel bearing last sat and no more problems

Thanks for the advice guys

Will,

Thread Information