Join Today
    Wierdly beardly

Thanks

interesting noise...

When I bought the BoneWagon it was described as having a whine from the cambelt end of the engine, and indeed it does. Not all the time, just intermittently. I assumed that it'd be the PAS pump, maybe the aircon pump, or one of the tensioners. I managed to do some listening when the noise occurred today - its loudest when I put my stethoscope on the... oil filter! Its a genuine Volvo one so I assume its got the non return valve in it - has anyone come across this before? Or is it more likely to be the oil pump making a racket - I've never heard a noisy oil pump before so can't say either way.
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    It could be the oil pump making the noise if the oil pick pipe / filter / sump " O " rings letting air into the oil pump.
    Does to oil light flicker when the engine is very hot and at tickover ?.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    No, no warning light Harvey. I'm going to try changing the filter to see if thats got a sticky valve - I can make the noise stop by blipping the throttle. After that it'll return to idle without the noise which is what makes me think its something like an oil valve rather than a bearing of some sort. Hopefully
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Thread Information