Join Today
    My Car Will Never Be
    'Finished'
    Thanks

T5 Engine Transplant

Hi all, I've got a v70 2.5T (1998) and it seems to have smoke coming from the dip stick tube, I've changed the Oil Trap box and cleaned out the pipes and its still doing it, I've read up a bit on what could be causing this and apparently the head has filters in and can block up causing this to happen. Anyway, I think with the pressure its blown my cam shaft seals as I have oil on top of my rocker cover ( I've cleaned it and it became covered in oil again) and i think the seals have blown on the turbo aswell, keeps shotting big clouds of smoke out after I've tickled i've put my foot down a little.

So with a new turbo costing a little bit, I seen a t5 engine come up for a decent price and not much more than it would be for a turbo rebuild, and it comes ready to go with turbo etc. How hard would it be to change the engine/ecu? On my old cars i've been able to just unbolt the gearbox from the engine and lift the engine from the car with the box still in the car. Would I be able to do this with the volvo? Make it a little quicker in my past experiences. My car is an AWD too if that makes any difference.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    The quickest way for a engine change i find is drop the whole lot down on the subframe, change the lump over and raise it all back up

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Cam seals won't put oil on top of the rocker cover but the rubber pipe that connects to the cover, next to the oil filler will.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

My Car Will Never Be
    'Finished'
    Thanks
    The oil seems to be coming from under the cambelt side, At the back, After i had cleaned it off you could see it seeping down

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Could be the cam seals bud, also the oil filler cap seals leak to

My Car Will Never Be
    'Finished'
    Thanks
    Yeah I've heard about the filler cap leaking, Too much oil for it to be that in my opinion. I just think for the amount of time and money i will put into this engine it would be alot easier to t5 it and have more fun

My Car Will Never Be
    'Finished'
    Thanks
    With Regards to the ECU, does it need the chip/transponder thing to go with it or will it be simply a case of plug and play?

Thread Information