Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    I used halfrauds manifold paint on my calipers

I don't know about the 320 kit but refurbished xc90 calipers can be bought for about 65 quid and I'm guessing the 320 calipers (same caliper, different hanger body) would be about the same. I got the whole kit - calipers, disks, steering limiter arms, pads and hoses for 125 quid just before I was planning to spend roughly the same money on 305mm disks and pads, so it was a no-brainer really. The stopping power is awesome and in about 6000 miles of driving since fitting them, there's now only slight signs of wear.

But the biggest plus for me with the 336 kit is bling - they look effin' massive behind my alloys
    Believe me if I could fit 320's behind ex-plod Metis wheels with winter tyres then I would have done it by now. Not knocking the upgrade, they certainly look good, just saying 305's on a dirty diesel are enough. It's also about pad choice; standard stuff not man enough, yellow stuff I threw in the bin, Plod pads are brilliant. I'm sure a set of Carbotech XP12's would rock!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    We're do you get plod pads is it from volvo them selves
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    Believe me if I could fit 320's behind ex-plod Metis wheels with winter tyres then I would have done it by now. Not knocking the upgrade, they certainly look good, just saying 305's on a dirty diesel are enough. It's also about pad choice; standard stuff not man enough, yellow stuff I threw in the bin, Plod pads are brilliant. I'm sure a set of Carbotech XP12's would rock!
    I had plod pads on brembo rotors when I was running 305s and they were brilliant but the pad outlasted the disk - I'd have probably got through 1.5 - 2 disks before changing the pads. The stronger caliper and bigger disks with the xc kit is in another realm altogether but like you say, not always suitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plodmonkey View Post
    We're do you get plod pads is it from volvo them selves
    I honestly don't remember, may have been eBay or probably a main stealer.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input so far. Plenty of food for thought there. I don't want to go too mad, as it's a 10 year old car with 130k on the clock, but if I can do a couple of bits to make it feel a bit more engaging then all the better, especially if it's just replacing worn parts that I would have to buy anyway.

When you say "driveshaft bolts", what exactly are you referring to?

Had a little look under the car last night, only with it on its wheels and couldn't feel anything too obvious amiss, even trying to lever things about with a pry bar. There does look to be a little bit of perishing in the control arm bushes, so that could be the place to start. Going to get it up in the air at the weekend and have a better look if I have more time.

Another slightly random question (I might as well keep it all in one place!)...

I absolutely hate the front bumper on the car, it looks a bit wet. An R bumper isn't something I really want to invest in, but I notice that S60 bumpers are remarkably cheap. I've even seen a few in the same colour as my car. Are these a straight swap? They look a little better with round fogs and the prettier grill so it might be a cheap, subtle improvement.
    1996 850 T-5 -lowered 40mm, 17" Volans, T5-R front bumper and spoiler, recirc. blanked, open filter - GONE!
    2003 V70 D5 SE - very standard - ALSO GONE!
    2003 RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup - FOR SALE
    2016 VW Golf R DSG - GONE
    2013 Megane Renault Sport 265 - SOLD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by massivewangers View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far. Plenty of food for thought there. I don't want to go too mad, as it's a 10 year old car with 130k on the clock, but if I can do a couple of bits to make it feel a bit more engaging then all the better, especially if it's just replacing worn parts that I would have to buy anyway.

When you say "driveshaft bolts", what exactly are you referring to?

Had a little look under the car last night, only with it on its wheels and couldn't feel anything too obvious amiss, even trying to lever things about with a pry bar. There does look to be a little bit of perishing in the control arm bushes, so that could be the place to start. Going to get it up in the air at the weekend and have a better look if I have more time.

Another slightly random question (I might as well keep it all in one place!)...

I absolutely hate the front bumper on the car, it looks a bit wet. An R bumper isn't something I really want to invest in, but I notice that S60 bumpers are remarkably cheap. I've even seen a few in the same colour as my car. Are these a straight swap? They look a little better with round fogs and the prettier grill so it might be a cheap, subtle improvement.
    I may as well celebrate my 20,000th post with something useful...

Driveshaft bolts... grab a small screwdriver and pry the center cap off your front wheels. behind it is the bolt that locks the driveshaft into the hub. Chances are it will have worked loose. remove it, loctite it and wind it back in. Don't overtighten it as it's a stretch bolt and can snap. Replacing it with XC90 bolts will halp prevent it working loose again.

Lever the front bush on the control arms - that's where they usually fail, it's also the one you want to fit a polyurethane bush to.

The S60 bumper will indeed fit but you'll need to change the wing brackets to accommodate the different bumper.

It's a 10 year old car with 130K? barely run-in mate. Mine's the same age with 211K on it and still going strong - mod away

Right, I'm going for a lay down.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    I may as well celebrate my 20,000th post with something useful...

Driveshaft bolts... grab a small screwdriver and pry the center cap off your front wheels. behind it is the bolt that locks the driveshaft into the hub. Chances are it will have worked loose. remove it, loctite it and wind it back in. Don't overtighten it as it's a stretch bolt and can snap. Replacing it with XC90 bolts will halp prevent it working loose again.

Lever the front bush on the control arms - that's where they usually fail, it's also the one you want to fit a polyurethane bush to.

The S60 bumper will indeed fit but you'll need to change the wing brackets to accommodate the different bumper.

It's a 10 year old car with 130K? barely run-in mate. Mine's the same age with 211K on it and still going strong - mod away

Right, I'm going for a lay down.
    A useful post? from you? whatever next, JamesT5 listening to advice?

As Martin said 130K isn't high miles for a Volvo, my C70 is 16 years old, has 145K, and regularly gets thrashed up the drag strip.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ohhhhh, that bolt. Lordy, that comes loose? That doesn't sound ever so good...

What's the torque setting for it? I assume it will be a big old thing, so I might not have a suitable socket for it.

I had a quick look at the front bushes. They do look very slightly perished and did feel a little loose when levered, so I suspect they are the issue. A friend is a Powerflex dealer so I've asked for a price anyway.

Bumper I will look into post-MOT perhaps, not exactly urgent.

Unfortunately I do just over 30k a year so there's not a huge amount of point in me keeping cars for long periods, as I can make them worthless pretty quickly!
    1996 850 T-5 -lowered 40mm, 17" Volans, T5-R front bumper and spoiler, recirc. blanked, open filter - GONE!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Not sure on the torque setting, but it's only a small bolt, 13mm at a guess.

Thanks
    Ohhhhh, that bolt. Lordy, that comes loose? That doesn't sound ever so good...

What's the torque setting for it? I assume it will be a big old thing, so I might not have a suitable socket for it.

I had a quick look at the front bushes. They do look very slightly perished and did feel a little loose when levered, so I suspect they are the issue. A friend is a Powerflex dealer so I've asked for a price anyway.

Bumper I will look into post-MOT perhaps, not exactly urgent.

Unfortunately I do just over 30k a year so there's not a huge amount of point in me keeping cars for long periods, as I can make them worthless pretty quickly!
    15mm head I believe but not 100%, 25ft/bl then 90 degrees but be careful, as I said, there prone to snapping and sometimes they strip their own thread. Don't worry about safety - mine ran with a bolt missing for over a year, the driveshaft won't fall out, it'll just make loads of noise.

30K a year is nothing to these cars if looked after.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    P2 Plod spec pads 30776711 but check before ordering, don't blame me if that is wrong, I've just made a note of it for my reference when I re-order!

Callipers are the same from 286 to 305 but carriers are different.

Be careful getting Goodridge brake lines for 305's as they are too short...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post

Be careful getting Goodridge brake lines for 305's as they are too short...
    Mine were bang-on and I reused them for the 336mm kit. Perhaps you were sold the hoses for a P1?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well, I looked. And I'm missing a driveshaft bolt on the nearside, so that probably isn't helping...

A call to the dealer this morning methinks!

Thanks
    Well, I looked. And I'm missing a driveshaft bolt on the nearside, so that probably isn't helping...

A call to the dealer this morning methinks!
    Thought so

Ask the dealer for a pair of XC90 bolts as they have a rubber washer designed to stop the bolt working loose.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Going to the dealer tomorrow. They keep them in stock apparently so that will be one thing off the list at least. There's a piece of trim that sits under the chassis leg above the shaft that's broken too, so trying to identify that too, as it's hanging down and rubbing on the shaft.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Are there two different types of front lower arm bush?

I've got a price for the bushes from a Powerflex dealer, but he has been told that the front bush only fits cars that have a shaped bar (the one that fits through the centre of the bush), not ones with a straight bar.

Is there two different sorts? If so, is there any way of telling which you have without removing the arm?

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Are there two different types of front lower arm bush?

I've got a price for the bushes from a Powerflex dealer, but he has been told that the front bush only fits cars that have a shaped bar (the one that fits through the centre of the bush), not ones with a straight bar.

Is there two different sorts? If so, is there any way of telling which you have without removing the arm?
    There is that issue with P2 wishbones. AFAIK genuine have the cut out in the bars, pattern parts don't. If in the end you have straight bars you could get them turned down, I've seen people using angle grinders. lol

Thanks
    Yep, I used an angle grinder and a bench grinder to tidy it up. The later genuine volvo bushes use a straight bar and frankly, crap rubber bushes (worse than the old ones) the easy way to tell is if you see volvo written anywhere on the rubber bit and it seems to be comprised of 2 blocks with a gap that you can sometimes see through, it'll be a straight bar. Grinding the bar only takes a few minutes.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information