Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Another "What map" thread ;)

I've rolled through 7 pages of the search function on here, as well as 3 pages on Google (desperate times when you hit page 2 on Google!) and nothing is jumping out at me. A lot of conflicting information with wildly mixed views and not many definitive answers, but I guess that sums the car scene up pretty well

Can my ECU be remapped, or would it require a "chip"? Chips seem a bit old hat these days, kind of thing you found on Cosworths and RS Turbo's back in the day! My car is an N reg 850 T5..

Who's the reputable tuners? What map are you guys running?

I've got a 2.5" cat-back ready to go on and I'm awaiting delivery of a big ass Green cone filter, so with the above mods I'd like to see some healthy gains with a map!

Any pointers appreciated.

Ben.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweep For This Useful Post:

Wombatbomb (Thursday 12th June 2014)

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    If you have already been reading up, you will know the main answer, HLM/Rica are the most popular.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I myself, have a MTE map, but I can't comment to much, as my car is still running in, so I can't really test it!

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    yep if your wanting a cheap but effective boost then a hlm map is the way to go mate 150 (plus postage) send youre ecu to them and they send it back job done

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    You say that chips are old hat these days but fact is these cars are 20years old not exactly the height of technology themselves. You can get your Ecu flashed with an mte map for £300 or for £150 you can have it chipped at hlm and have exactly the same thing.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    It's worth the drive to HLM as you get a run or two on the rollers and for added entertainment, you can set Hamish off on a rant
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Am I right in thinking a chip essentially makes the ecu redundant for future mods? Or can it be re - chipped? That's why I prefer the remapping side of things as you can just re flash the ecu to accommodate the latest mods done.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    same with these ecus mate the chip isnt being flashed

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Am I right in thinking a chip essentially makes the ecu redundant for future mods? Or can it be re - chipped? That's why I prefer the remapping side of things as you can just re flash the ecu to accommodate the latest mods done.
    you cant remap these cars unless you buy aq turbo tuner ecu or learn about doing it yourself with an ostrich lol

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    My personal feeling is that a rolling road remap is best as you can verify the performance figures before and after.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    you cant remap these cars unless you buy aq turbo tuner ecu or learn about doing it yourself with an ostrich lol
    I've got a thing about birds with long legs but...
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    My personal feeling is that a rolling road remap is best as you can verify the performance figures before and after.
    These seem to be contradicting comments, or am I not understanding this properly?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    These seem to be contradicting comments, or am I not understanding this properly?
    Frankie means that you are very limited when it comes to getting a custom remap, referring to your comment about making changes to the map, as you change the spec of the car. MTE used to be able to custom map the 850's, however the man that can doesn't come over to the UK anymore.

Apart from a Turbo Tuner ECU or a stand alone, pretty much the only option for custom mapping is a couple of guys on T5D5.org They don't get on here very often though.

As for off the shelf maps; I am slightly biased granted. But your options are HLM or MTE realistically. Like what was mentioned an HLM map is pretty much half the price, but you certainly get what you pay for, and they certainly not the same, as mentioned above. The HLM map isn't much more than a glorified MBC, it's very aggressive with a big whack initially which makes it seems quick, but power tails off too quickly. The MTE map is much more sophisticated, much smoother and more progressive, with more top end pull. If it was my money I'd go or the MTE, unfortunately cash is king as they say, and most will go for the cheap option!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 13th June 2014),Sweep (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    What do you mean by rolling road remap? A custom map on a dyno?
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saaamon View Post
    You say that chips are old hat these days but fact is these cars are 20years old not exactly the height of technology themselves. You can get your Ecu flashed with an mte map for £300 or for £150 you can have it chipped at hlm and have exactly the same thing.
    FYI, they are not the same thing.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    What do you mean by rolling road remap? A custom map on a dyno?
    don't worry about him, he dunno what he's talking about lol

18. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 13th June 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    don't worry about him, he dunno what he's talking about lol
    I know that. I just wondered if he did?! LOL!!

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    FYI, they are not the same thing.
    I had an MTE on my R years ago and personally found it to be quite dull and boring, ok it made the power and produced a decent looking graph but to get the most it really needed revving and that opinion was shared by other well informed people who drove it and who were more to the RICA side which essentially what a HLM is.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Saaamon For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i personally wouldnt touch a hlm map for my own reasons. However if you can get hold of the t5d5 guys i would highly recommend them to do it as its done to your car and not generic crap
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

23. The Following User Says Thank You to deathrider311271 For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Well I have only ad one map and it came t5 tez's car and boy I love it

"WOODY T5 fastest volvo 850 since 2011/12/13/14 @ avon and york 13.3 112mph
    854 t5 19t gripper mte bc loads more 311.6 whp 373 foot pound 342 @ clucth
    toy cbr954

25. The Following User Says Thank You to WOODY T5 For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saaamon View Post
    I had an MTE on my R years ago and personally found it to be quite dull and boring, ok it made the power and produced a decent looking graph but to get the most it really needed revving and that opinion was shared by other well informed people who drove it and who were more to the RICA side which essentially what a HLM is.
    So you've just contradicted yourself then! You said they we're the same thing?!!

The FACT is an off the shelf RICA/HLM map has just had the boost values hiked up, and little else.

Thread Information