Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post

The FACT is an off the shelf RICA/HLM map has just had the boost values hiked up, and little else.
    The essence is Chris one has to buy his map according to what he wants to do with his motor!

Track days or Sprints as they were known in my day then ok an MTE map but on the highway where most of us drive my HLM with it`s kick in the pants and does not tail off until over three figure speeds is fast enough for continual use.......you cannot go down the Mways at a constant 90mph plus and feel safe, what with cameras and traffic!

Ok, so they say the HLM tends to be on the lean side but the boost will stop at 16psi and seeing as 10 is about standard on my V70 T5 i don`t call this being "hiked up"......with my MBC also fitted and been using 21psi for almost 3 yrs now i do call that psi "hiked up".

Also surely boost is only created by the turbo but the MAF and ECU amonst others settings allow it to happen so in practice you will only have more boost if your turbo is tweeked up
    the map merely allows it to happen higher by removing the limit and replacing with another limit which in the HLM is 16psi........also i do understand the way maps give the AFR`s.

When i had my V40 T4 the boost was 19psi and on the rollers was about 240bhp this was with a standard ECU so why were other owners with an MTE map still only producing 237bhp but it had cost them £400 for the map? .......by the way AFR`s on the 1855 T4 are correct at this psi. but the system is on it`s adaptive limit.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Each to their own. Everyone is going to stick up for what they have on their car. I have neither currently, but have had both in the 13 years I've been playing around with turbo charged volvos.

Peak bhp figures only tell you so much.

With an mte map boost, fueling, ignition timing, etc are all altered to make a decent product.

Someone asked for an opinion, I have mine. It's no skin off my nose which remap people choose!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Actually that's not true, I have a rica 304 on the 850r I bought! With an EBC though, drivability is terrible!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well this hasn't helped my decision at all lol!

I've always wanted to get into the mapping side of things so today I've been looking at the Turbo Tuner, the website is under development so no prices. Do any of you know how much the kit is?

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    I think it was about 600 quid

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    you'll still need a pro to map the turbo tuner properly

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    I think it was about 600 quid
    That's not as bad as I expected!
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    you'll still need a pro to map the turbo tuner properly
    Maybe, but as it comes with a standard map I'd just build off that, plenty of information around, plus the feeling of DIY mapping must be fantastic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweep For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Well this hasn't helped my decision at all lol!

I've always wanted to get into the mapping side of things so today I've been looking at the Turbo Tuner, the website is under development so no prices. Do any of you know how much the kit is?
    To be fair mate when it comes to remaps you'll never get a definitive answer, because there is no definitive answer, different people prefer different characteristics.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Wednesday 11th June 2014),Sweep (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    just fit an mbc and crank it all the way up!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5RatherAmusin For This Useful Post:

Sweep (Thursday 12th June 2014),T5frankie (Wednesday 11th June 2014)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    That's not as bad as I expected!

Maybe, but as it comes with a standard map I'd just build off that, plenty of information around, plus the feeling of DIY mapping must be fantastic
    I've got a mte 16T map on a TT file plus a couple more, easy to send to you if you want a decent base to start from, but after a.couple of yrs of messing you will realise it's better to take it to an expert, got mine live mapped on the road for 250 quid

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    T5D5 is the best place to go if you want a debate on remaps, chips etc.. When I was on there it was very much towards mte, here on the other hand it's more rica/hlm.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saaamon View Post
    T5D5 is the best place to go if you want a debate on remaps, chips etc.. When I was on there it was very much towards mte, here on the other hand it's more rica/hlm.
    Why?? We are capable and knowledgeable enough on here to have proper debate, and enough of the t5d5 lot pop in and comment ie Chris and redbrick etc

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Wednesday 11th June 2014),WOODY T5 (Friday 13th June 2014)

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Why?? We are capable and knowledgeable enough on here to have proper debate, and enough of the t5d5 lot pop in and comment ie Chris and redbrick etc
    Im not suggesting people aren't knowledgeable enough, far from it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Saaamon For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Thursday 12th June 2014)

Thanks
    I had a chip, based on the RICA 304 put on a spare ECU. It was OK, but the throttle response when decelerating was horrid. Got neck ache driving around town.

Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Actually that's not true, I have a rica 304 on the 850r I bought! With an EBC though, drivability is terrible!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Theador For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Thursday 12th June 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saaamon View Post
    I personally would rather see a discussion on here about the different maps as on t5d5 most are bias towards MTE

They are anti HLM (Hamish)/ RICA (Adam) because the whole scenario is based towards the actual history of the mappers of the said maps!

I myself are not interested in the story of a blown up engine and how it came to be and the net result......if i were i would not of bought an HLM map........the proof is in the pudding how much you get for your buck in terms of performance providing you like the way it is delivered.

Just my opinion.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Thursday 12th June 2014),smithy (Thursday 12th June 2014),Sweep (Thursday 12th June 2014)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I don't get what you are trying to say here, the above does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    I personally would rather see a discussion on here about the different maps as on t5d5 most are bias towards MTE

They are anti HLM (Hamish)/ RICA (Adam) because the whole scenario is based towards the actual history of the mappers of the said maps!

I myself are not interested in the story of a blown up engine and how it came to be and the net result......if i were i would not of bought an HLM map........the proof is in the pudding how much you get for your buck in terms of performance providing you like the way it is delivered.

Just my opinion.
    Thanks for your opinion. If only you knew!
    Last edited by Redbrick; Thursday 12th June 2014 at 23:49.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    I don't get what you are trying to say here, the above does not make sense.
    I think what Jim is saying, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is T5D5 isn't the only forum that can give educated opinions/views about remaps, there are plenty of members on this forum that have had remaps themselves, and if we were to fall short on knowledge, you and Chris could point us in the right direction.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 13th June 2014),smithy (Friday 13th June 2014)

Thanks
    Take your 850 to Shemtek or Tim Williams. They'll do you a much smoother map than Rica. I don't know anything about HLM.

I've rolled through 7 pages of the search function on here, as well as 3 pages on Google (desperate times when you hit page 2 on Google!) and nothing is jumping out at me. A lot of conflicting information with wildly mixed views and not many definitive answers, but I guess that sums the car scene up pretty well

Can my ECU be remapped, or would it require a "chip"? Chips seem a bit old hat these days, kind of thing you found on Cosworths and RS Turbo's back in the day! My car is an N reg 850 T5..

Who's the reputable tuners? What map are you guys running?

I've got a 2.5" cat-back ready to go on and I'm awaiting delivery of a big ass Green cone filter, so with the above mods I'd like to see some healthy gains with a map!

Any pointers appreciated.

Ben.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Theador For This Useful Post:

Sweep (Friday 13th June 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theador View Post
    Take your 850 to Shemtek or Tim Williams. They'll do you a much smoother map than Rica. I don't know anything about HLM.
    Interesting, names I haven't heard yet! Who/what/where/how much?

Thread Information