Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts

Calling all detailing experts!

When I was younger I used to really enjoy cleaning/detailing the car(s). As the years have gone by, with both spare time being a problem and losing the interest/enjoyment I used to get 10+ years ago from cleaning the car, I've kind of lost touch with it a bit. However over the last year or so I've picked up the polishing cloths again, and am getting that enjoyment back that I used to have from giving the car a good going over!

I'm not totally thick when it comes to cleaning/polishing/etc, but I really would like try my hand at some proper detailing. Over the summer I want to give all the cars a full detail/restoration to the best of my ability.

I'm very tempted to get a machine polisher, as I think that's the only way to get rid of swirl marks and get a proper depth to the paint? What would anyone recommend for a newbie? Years ago I did buy a porter cable dual action machine, but went halfs with a mate, and never saw the thing, it's long since gone.

I have a fair amount of products in the garage, but other than the odd clay bar or new micro fiber cloths I haven't really bought anything new on that front for quite some time. So what do you recommend? I am a bit out of my depth once people start talking about sealants and glazes and all that kind of stuff!

The one and only time I used the porter cable polish went absolutely everywhere!! Was I doing something wrong? Does everything need masking up?

Is the snow foam worth while? I have the foam attachment for my karcher pressure washer.

So what i'm after is can you recommend me a poilshing machine, the different stages of washing/restoring/polishing/waxing/etc with links to which ever products you recommend, down to which wash mits, polishing cloths, etc. What processes I need to follow, the whole shabang! I'm quite prepared to spend a decent wedge, so don't be shy!

Over to you geeks.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

CDO Sufferer
    Thanks
    More than welcome to pop over at some point and try some of my toys, and cleaning stuff..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jimka For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 8th June 2014)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    You need one of these Chris.....

http://www.meguiars-online.co.uk/sho...shing-machine/

Sharkey bought one last year and I picked mine up earlier this year, and if I manage then anyone can, really easy to use with virtually no risk to your paint, make sure you apply the polish to the pad then hold the pad against the car BEFORE switching on to save polish flying everywhere

Polished bliss etc always have good deals on starter kits (machine, polish and pads)

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    youd be best off with a daspro...
    some decent various 3m or monza pads.
    polishes are a preference thing, but ie megs 105 then 205. carnauba and speed glaze are good...
    can never have too many microfibres.!
    the karchers foam bottle is ££££e, get a propper lance attachment. magifoams good...
    its a quick n easy clean between polishing time...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...er/cat_81.html
    Last edited by T5RatherAmusin; Sunday 8th June 2014 at 16:13.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    You need one of these Chris.....

http://www.meguiars-online.co.uk/sho...shing-machine/

Sharkey bought one last year and I picked mine up earlier this year, and if I manage then anyone can, really easy to use with virtually no risk to your paint, make sure you apply the polish to the pad then hold the pad against the car BEFORE switching on to save polish flying everywhere

Polished bliss etc always have good deals on starter kits (machine, polish and pads)
    This is the one I use, but I believe there are better ones out now but they are double the price.
    Chris go onto polishedbliss web site there are how too's on there .
    Thanks
    Martyn

7. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 8th June 2014)

CDO Sufferer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5RatherAmusin View Post
    youd be best off with a daspro...
    some decent various 3m or monza pads.
    polishes are a preference thing, but ie megs 105 then 205. carnauba and speed glaze are good...
    can never have too many microfibres.!
    the karchers foam bottle is ££££e, get a propper lance attachment. magifoams good...
    its a quick n easy clean between polishing time...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...er/cat_81.html
    I'm using the Daspro with menzerna range. snow foam is a waste of money in my opinion.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    9" Angle grinder with a 7" waffle pad. Poorboys ssr2 cutting compound, autoglym super resin polish, poorboys sealer.

easy
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    This is what I used on my old 850R - http://i4detailing.co.uk/shop/kestre...-polisher.html Used a variety of pads and Menzerna products IIRC Haven't used it since I sold the old girl though... But I will be using it on the BoneWagon once its back on the road.

I used Dodo Juice when cleaning/polishing by hand. Love it, the lime for cleaning and the orange crush on my old bronze coloured Discovery (also since sold on!). Embarrassed to admit that I've only used bog std AutoGlym on HotRod, just haven't had any time to do it properly yet.
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    What you need to do Chris is drive your cars, rather than spending every spare minute polishing them.
    Last edited by stribo; Monday 9th June 2014 at 10:06.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    I do drive them, every day 😜. I do 5 or 6 track days a year all over the country, plus an annual trip to the nurburgring. Plus various club meets when I can. I don't think a bi-monthly polish, with a couple of washes in between, in order to keep them nice, is excessive?

I was going to use a detailing company to do a full detail on all 3 cars, but I'm well into 4 figures if I went down that route, plus I am actually really starting to enjoy doing it, hence the thread.
    Last edited by S70T5Chris; Monday 9th June 2014 at 12:24.

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    I'm fairly new to the detailing aspect of car ownership - normally a bit of fairy liquid & an old sponge to wash the van! - but since I got the R I thought I'd invest a bit of time & effort into keeping the old girl looking good. I bought a rotary polisher for about £100 on amazon [will try & find the link later] came with a massive bag of waffle pads/ sponges/buffing pads etc.. bought myself the Megs' ultimate compound & the 1-2-3 crystal care pack and had a good old crack at bringing the paintwork back - like you mentioned I used WAY TOO MUCH polish, which is a royal PITA to get off the rubber door seals & other nooks & crannies. I went for the megs as I assumed being a mainstream product it would be more forgiving on the novice, which combined with my lack of experience with a rotary polisher proved to be a blessing. I expect you'd get a better result with some of the harsher compounds & more expensive polishes/waxes but the megs stuff gave the car a really deep wet look & corrected the worst of the paint blemishes.

Will probably move on to some of the more Gucci gear once my confidence grows but for a novice with a heavy hand I found the megs stuff gave good results & was less than £50 for the lot.

Just started using snow foam, lance arrived last week - not convinced its all that special really, ended up having to sponge the car to get it really clean, but it does make the kids laugh when applying!! I could only get hold of the demonshine stuff from carplan which I suspect is half the problem so will give it another go with a better brand before I give up on it completely

Good luck with it all, Cheers, Morgan

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimka View Post
    I'm using the Daspro with menzerna range. snow foam is a waste of money in my opinion.
    I really rate snow foaming a car, not for it's cleaning property's but for lubrication.
    When I snow foam the car I leave it to start breaking down dirt, once I wash it off I know the car won't be clean, but then as I wash each pannel I apply more foam this helps to reduce marring the paint, just like you wouldn't wash a car with out wetting it first I feel the foam reduces the risk of damaging the paint.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    I'm fairly new to the detailing aspect of car ownership - normally a bit of fairy liquid & an old sponge to wash the van! - but since I got the R I thought I'd invest a bit of time & effort into keeping the old girl looking good. I bought a rotary polisher for about £100 on amazon [will try & find the link later] came with a massive bag of waffle pads/ sponges/buffing pads etc.. bought myself the Megs' ultimate compound & the 1-2-3 crystal care pack and had a good old crack at bringing the paintwork back - like you mentioned I used WAY TOO MUCH polish, which is a royal PITA to get off the rubber door seals & other nooks & crannies. I went for the megs as I assumed being a mainstream product it would be more forgiving on the novice, which combined with my lack of experience with a rotary polisher proved to be a blessing. I expect you'd get a better result with some of the harsher compounds & more expensive polishes/waxes but the megs stuff gave the car a really deep wet look & corrected the worst of the paint blemishes.

Will probably move on to some of the more Gucci gear once my confidence grows but for a novice with a heavy hand I found the megs stuff gave good results & was less than £50 for the lot.

Just started using snow foam, lance arrived last week - not convinced its all that special really, ended up having to sponge the car to get it really clean, but it does make the kids laugh when applying!! I could only get hold of the demonshine stuff from carplan which I suspect is half the problem so will give it another go with a better brand before I give up on it completely

Good luck with it all, Cheers, Morgan
    The demonshine stuff is probably ok, my megs doesn't clean it either, if you want the foam to make a big impact when cleaning you will need to add degreasers to the mix and with that effect it will remove your LSP and you don't want to do that unless your moving to a different one.
    Thanks
    Martyn

16. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 9th June 2014)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The Demon shine foam does work - but you may need to foam and blast it twice for the full effect.
    I usually leave the foam until it starts to dry (I don't mean actually dry - when the bubbles go, about 5-10 minutes, depending on weather) Then blast it all off. Even gets brake dust off the wheels.

I mix a little Meguires gold class shampoo with it as it aids drying.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 9th June 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Great thread this, I'm in the same position Chris is, in that I want a polisher, and I was seriously considering the Meguiars machine and I've used polished bliss before. Now I've seen a few of you have one think I'll put in an order

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    I've got the Meg's V2 polisher, lovely bit of kit. Started trying out the G-techniq range of products and very very happy with them, c4, c5 and tyre and trim liquid.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Monday 9th June 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Great thread this, I'm in the same position Chris is, in that I want a polisher, and I was seriously considering the Meguiars machine and I've used polished bliss before. Now I've seen a few of you have one think I'll put in an order
    Its just a dam shame you cant visit there premises, the 2nd to last time i was there they were detailing an aventador!!! oh and Rich the owner had a brand new white C30 T5 shame he has just swapped it for a fiesta ST lol, Clark the other owner now has a Carrera, never sees the light of day.

As for DA's if you dont want to spend that much, the kestral is just as capable as the megs machine, my dad has that and I have used it before. I would honestly buy that if I wasnt as much of a badge snob.
    Thanks
    Martyn

23. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Monday 9th June 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Its just a dam shame you cant visit there premises, the 2nd to last time i was there they were detailing an aventador!!! oh and Rich the owner had a brand new white C30 T5 shame he has just swapped it for a fiesta ST lol, Clark the other owner now has a Carrera, never sees the light of day.

As for DA's if you dont want to spend that much, the kestral is just as capable as the megs machine, my dad has that and I have used it before. I would honestly buy that if I wasnt as much of a badge snob.
    Kestral? Do Polished Bliss sell these as well? I also have used cleanyourcar.co.UK before and they seemed very helpful

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yeah he bought the more expensive of the 2.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    this man here is on detailingworld and makes some great videos all be it a bit long lol get a cup of tea he will explain everthing you need to know unvaluable information for the beginer/novice
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvqM4p5XKdXiug656WLmuOg
    1995 854 t5r

Thread Information