Join Today
    If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

Question 850 speaker change query

A little bit of advice needed if anyone can help?

I changed my two dash "tweeter" speakers which were pretty shot. Got a pair off the web someone on here reommended. So they were listed for teh 850 but not a direct fit - some minor mods needed.
    Question is...
    When I changed them , I wasn't sure whether to keep the capacitor which was in series with the speaker on the outgoing Volvo one, or bin it?

In the intrestes of safety I kept it in although it meant unsolder and re-solder rather than just a plug in job. I figured it must be there to stop a DC current going through the power amp circuits or something.

Any thoughts?? Would I get a better sound if I took it out and would I kill my stereo?
    (based on Experience please not surmisements - i can do that myself:>))
    Cheers

WOZ p.s its a 96 855 GLT with a Volvo CD/cassette radio SC805 I think, if that makes a difference.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    the capacity works as a frequency blocker, it stops the tweeter trying to do frequencies out of its efficiency range (ie mid-range & bass) & creating distortion

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Friday 6th June 2014),woz (Friday 6th June 2014)

what happens
    Thanks
    Thanks PF - so I leave it in right?

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Thanks PF - so I leave it in right?
    The new tweeters should have there own capacitor on them anyway, inless part of a component set that includes an external cross-over. Having a second one on won't hurt as you've done it, but you could of just used the normal speaker wires directly

what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    The new tweeters should have there own capacitor on them anyway, inless part of a component set that includes an external cross-over. Having a second one on won't hurt as you've done it, but you could of just used the normal speaker wires directly
    OK - I will take it out and see what happens. Pretty sure there is no capacitor in the new ones. I suppose I could just ring the vendor....

Will update when i have done it - thanks for your input:>)))

Thanks
    I'd leave the cap on of you can't see one on the tweeters you bought. They're usually fairly visible if they're there. In my past experience with ice. A set of tweeters bought on their own would be shipped with an off-board cap so you had the option of using it or not, depending on whether you had active crossovers, or other passive ceossovers already installed. If however you do have a capacitor in your tweeter. Adding another one will change the value at which frequencies are cut. I'm afraid I can't remember the equations for working out the frequency ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    OK - I will take it out and see what happens. Pretty sure there is no capacitor in the new ones. I suppose I could just ring the vendor....

Will update when i have done it - thanks for your input:>)))

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    the cap is there for a reason, if you did away with it it wouldn't be a tweeter it would just be a tiny speaker getting all sound frequencies though it

Thread Information