Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Post Think I need a new fuel pump soon

I think I'll need a new fuel pump soon....

Annoying isn't it, you take off in 1st gear with WOT, drop the clutch then repeat the same in 2nd gear only to find the boost drops off and the revs won't go any higher before suddenly coming back again. Not only that, but some times the car 'splutters' on a start and, as MRP will testify, will try and start and then 'die' straight away especially after a long run (the fuel pump probably gets 'hot').

Now, this problem has been around prior to the refurb on my Turbo and I'm almost certain my fuel pump is getting weak. When I open the throttle fully (in 1st and 2nd particularly) it obviously demands a lot of fuel flow, then when the pump can't manage to push that much fuel through, the ECU intervenes and cuts the boost until the fuel flow has caught up and hence the drop in power. If the fuel pump is becoming weak and the tank is getting low it will have problems pushing fuel as there is less 'weight' behind it so the pump has to work harder. Might explain the occasional start-up issue as well.

Considering I've got refurbed injectors and turbo, a TCV/BCS from Volvo that's only around 12 months old, no obvious splits in my vacuum lines (another possibility of course) and no split hoses or pipes (as far as I can tell), it's a fairly safe bet that the fuel pump has seen better days.

Before I consider a remap or rolling road session I think I'll change the fuel pump and sender units (my fuel gauge doesn't work as some will recall), and then go from there. Preferably new ones as well of course, other than that some quality low mileage second hand parts will be ok and Bridgend Volvo Specialsts will be doing the work for me because one slight issue with that plastic 'O' ring and I'll have a massive fuel leak (been there, done that, got the T-Shirt).

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Are you getting a low fuel pressure code ?.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    fuel pressure reg issue??

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    No error codes.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Break it
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Btw, I can also rule out a fuel filter issue because the problem has been present either side of a new fuel filter change.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Break it

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    No error codes.
    If a part starts to fail and the sensors pick it up ,they will log it as a amber fault to be looked at next time it's in at volvo to look at it.
    But it has to go beyond the tolerance Volvo have set before it throws a fault code.which will be logged as a red code and pop up a fault message.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Sunday 1st June 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I agree with Harvey.

If your car tried to stall and/or hesitate due to insufficient fuel in the rail, then you most definitely would have a fault logged regards FPS or fuel pressure. If you haven't got that, then I doubt very much your pump is knackered.
    Unless the CEM actually logs a fault because the FPS went out of tolerance (if your correct) then you won't see a code using a generic code reader. You'd have 'amber' warning at least in VIDA if the fault occurs once and twice will log as Red.
    The symptoms you describe sound more like a faulty FPS or Air leak problem.
    Incidentally, what you just described mirrors my cracked intercooler symptoms. My car was behaving just the same.
    The Air leak was causing the car to behave erratically at idle once the car warmed up and only now and again would it do it. I was also getting loss of power and loss of boost, only when the car was hot.

Also, on a side note, you would have to be running fuel injectors the size of bic biros before the fuel pump ran out of supply. I doubt very much that even on WOT (no matter what gear your in) the demand would ever out strip supply, no matter how weak your pump was - and if it is the case, then you 100% will have a low fuel pressure fault logged and pending and both would be picked up by VIDA and a generic code reader.

As far as fuel pumps go (especially where petrol is concerned) they either work or they don't!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 2nd June 2014 at 14:05.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    James, just for comparison, my pump is suffering too, but the only evidence is the ever present high pitched whine it makes and the occasional problem starting. I've not had any of the other symptoms you described.

The whining has been there since I bought the car (didn't know then what the problem was). I read that they can do this for thousands upon thousands of miles before failing fully so I'm just going to carry on until it causes more prevalent problems (not because I want to stick my head in the sand, but quite simply because I have nothing but crumbs in my pockets so I'm being forced to adopt the bangernomics approach to motoring now). Very occasionally it will turn over a few extra revolutions on the starter before it fires, and I've only had a actual failure to start once, when I was down to about a quarter of a tank with an indicated 100-odd miles range on the display. Chucked half a gallon of old petrol in it, that I had sat in the garage, and it fired straight up.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    The rubber seal on the petrol filler cap is still in one piece as they do dry out and crack over time and can cause problems..

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    So are some of you suggesting an air leak or a vacuum leak, possibly?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    James you must be the most patient bloke i know. I know you wont but for christ get a car that dosnt ££££ up every two weeks
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

15. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Tuesday 3rd June 2014)

Thanks
    Always look at the cheapest/simplest answer mate. There's been a lot of stuff taken off and refitted several times recently, something might have sprung a leak.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    What were suggesting is that perhaps you should get the fault properly diagnosed. It's unlikely your fuel pump is the fault and more likely something else.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    James you must be the most patient bloke i know. I know you wont but for christ get a car that dosnt ££££ up every two weeks
    This problem has been around for months, its just now starting to get on my nerves.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Ok a video that I made this afternoon showing a whistle sound coming from engine bay and it's usually during this time that the power drops off.

Sorry about the camera shake - I had the camera taped to the dash dome on the car. I also apologise, I had to be a bit brutal on the throttle to demonstrate the issue.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duAi...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
    That sounds like the frightening sound of T5 detonation - I think you should have the AFR checked, she's possibly running lean under full boost.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    That sounds like the frightening sound of T5 detonation - I think you should have the AFR checked, she's possibly running lean under full boost.
    Are you referring to the fuel regulator?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Detonation would leave signs on the spark plugs from what I recall and if you remember, my plugs were recently inspected and found to be fine.

Thread Information