Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy OUCH!!!! Bevel Gear Issue

Well after Full 9 year Service, + odd bushes replaced, proper coolant replacement new filler cap ext. and an invoice for £750.00 today, Was given the results of the knocking sound, LeeT5 you were in right area, but not prop shaft, but Bevel Gear Issue, they could replace sleeve only i think, but have authorized everything to be replaced which will cost another £1400.00 so this week my S60R is gonna cost me over 2k, i have also gotta list of other things to work my way through but not immediate, they did say it was a nice car, but previous service history i know wasn't great, i guess saving grace is that this is one big issue that will get sorted now. Issues with regards to the oil leak/burning i think is probably resolved, the previous service before my time didn't put the right oil filter on the car, which may have contributed to this, but will keep an eye on levels. Its all down to experience, i do think after a another £1000.00 for discs/ pads, other bushes, i will have a car that will be trouble free for the next 30k or so, just paying for it now unfortunately

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    That's bad news mate, the main reason for this is people don't keep them topped up, an once they run low on oil they start lunching themselves. The new one will be an uprated one, but again will need the oil level checked from time to time, we get ours done when it has it's yearly service. Discs and pads shouldn't be as much as £1K, I think I managed to source genuine Brembo front discs and pads for around £300-£350.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Ouch....hopefully the car will thank you for it and not give you any more big bills for a while.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    That's bad news mate, the main reason for this is people don't keep them topped up, an once they run low on oil they start lunching themselves. The new one will be an uprated one, but again will need the oil level checked from time to time, we get ours done when it has it's yearly service. Discs and pads shouldn't be as much as £1K, I think I managed to source genuine Brembo front discs and pads for around £300-£350.
    That's a bit unlucky but you know it's been done.
    I just got a new set of discs and pads for £399 free post and they were drilled ones which were brembo ones. You should be looking at around 2.5 hours to fit them good idear to do hand brake shoes at the same time they cost £25 for the set.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Starting to sound like my T5, one bill after another. It does hurt the wallet!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry forgot mention they gave m advisory on the Steering Rack, I have noticed no problems but they mentioned there is a oil leak, and seal behind rack cannot be replaced so its a new rack at some point at over 1k, is this correct?, plus some other slight issues with top bushes etc., but the great thing is I have a good idea of whats coming up and should be able to plan for new parts over 6M or so.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryW View Post
    Sorry forgot mention they gave m advisory on the Steering Rack, I have noticed no problems but they mentioned there is a oil leak, and seal behind rack cannot be replaced so its a new rack at some point at over 1k, is this correct?, plus some other slight issues with top bushes etc., but the great thing is I have a good idea of whats coming up and should be able to plan for new parts over 6M or so.
    Recon rack is about £150 mate but the subframe will have to be lowered to change it.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Recon rack is about £150 mate but the subframe will have to be lowered to change it.
    The rack is around the 1k mark as it's adjusts the power assistance at different speeds,with the electrical side which is what is different to the rest of the range of cars.
    Last edited by Harvey; Wednesday 28th May 2014 at 06:50.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Ive got a steering rack off a R if you need one
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Your car as you may have just gathered is some what different to an 'R'

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Wednesday 28th May 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looks like my warranty may pay out towards it, they said that they do not usually pay main dealer rates, but i explained that actually labour is only around £300.00 its that parts at whopping £800.00 thats the issue, if they will pay the parts only its a mega result, they need to speak with the main dealer though fingers crossed!!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    The rack is around the 1k mark as it's adjusts the power assistance at different speeds,with the electrical side which is what is different to the rest of the range of cars.
    Correct, the rack is around £1000 and you cannot get a recon one. OE only I'm afraid.
    The R racks are totally different from all other P2 models due to what Harvey just said and also iirc they are shorter in length.

If you plan on keeping the car then don't muck about trying to get your rack refurbed, it will never be right if you do. Just replace it and get the warranty with it!

Glad you got all the bits and pieces sorted + the 9 yr service. That's piece of mind. Regards the Angle gear...that sucks, but at least you'll get a new one and will drive real nice after it's done.
    When I bought my R the Prop shaft and Angle gear had been replaced MRG and a few other bits to the tune of £2000 on the last invoice I got with the car. Happy days!!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The thing is we all known the angle gear etc is an archilles heal, it was gonna need looking at, yes and the rack is just some slight oil leak, but it feels fine and an advisory for another look in another 12k, the way I see it is I have a great car that i really enjoy, and once this expense is over with maybe another 1k or so, it should give me some trouble free motoring hopefully over the next 50k, outside of tyres and breaks etc, it's only got 56k on the clock, and there is a lot of life in the car, like you said Lee and echoed by Volvo, the last couple of years it's just not been that well looked after, they even said, it's a great car just needs proper servicing from now on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryW For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 29th May 2014)

Thread Information