Join Today
    Wierdly beardly

Thanks

Thumbs up auto transmission fluid flush...done!

Well I finally got some time to do the tranny flush on HotRod and boy was it needed. I've never seen ATF that colour or consistency before, no wonder the changes were sluggish! It was absolutely black, like old engine oil and even after 8 litres still looked like Ribena concentrate. It took 14 litres of Dexron III in the end, never needed that much to do a flush before, but the transformation is staggering - I reckon I've got 50bhp back lol. Shes much more responsive and the gear changes are smooth and snappy like my old 850R, its really transformed her character

I'll get some pics of the old fluid later - it was pi$$ing it down when I did the job, and my memory card was full when I went to take some pics so I did the job pic-free I'm afraid. To give you an idea of how mad I was - this was taken just before I started -

Name:  rainy-atf-change.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  423.0 KB

I got the hose to drain the old stuff out from a local homebrew shop - 0.5in internal diameter clear hose, 2m for £5. O-rings and securing clip from FRF of course, 25l of CarLube Dexron III from local motor factor for £60. So total cost about £50.
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

This user has no status

Thanks
    did you use atf-u carlube that's what I used in mine been fine for 20k now.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    Well I finally got some time to do the tranny flush on HotRod and boy was it needed. I've never seen ATF that colour or consistency before, no wonder the changes were sluggish! It was absolutely black, like old engine oil and even after 8 litres still looked like Ribena concentrate. It took 14 litres of Dexron III in the end, never needed that much to do a flush before, but the transformation is staggering - I reckon I've got 50bhp back lol. Shes much more responsive and the gear changes are smooth and snappy like my old 850R, its really transformed her character

I'll get some pics of the old fluid later - it was pi$$ing it down when I did the job, and my memory card was full when I went to take some pics so I did the job pic-free I'm afraid. To give you an idea of how mad I was - this was taken just before I started -

Name:  rainy-atf-change.jpg
Size:  423.0 KB

I got the hose to drain the old stuff out from a local homebrew shop - 0.5in internal diameter clear hose, 2m for £5. O-rings and securing clip from FRF of course, 25l of CarLube Dexron III from local motor factor for £60. So total cost about £50.
    Bloomin heck lol you were mad doing it in that weather lol. Glad you got it sorted. thats a good price on the ATF too

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Hats off to you! That look like a hell of a job in that weather! Always good to feel the improvements of some hard work though

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    This is what came out...

Name:  old-atf.jpg
Size:  432.4 KB

and this is what went in -

Name:  atf.jpg
Size:  530.4 KB

Yes it was a bit mad, but wifey was standing over me with a big umbrella so we didn't get too wet

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Monday 26th May 2014),jamesy12345 (Monday 26th May 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Wow! That's pure filth, definitely well overdue a flush and replace.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Monday 26th May 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    This is what came out...

Name:  old-atf.jpg
Size:  432.4 KB

and this is what went in -

Name:  atf.jpg
Size:  530.4 KB

Yes it was a bit mad, but wifey was standing over me with a big umbrella so we didn't get too wet
    I think that first pic demonstrates perfectly that Volvos recommendation that it's a sealed for life 'box is well wide of the mark.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Monday 26th May 2014),LiamT4 (Monday 26th May 2014),RollingThunder (Monday 26th May 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    wow looks like cola lol
    1995 854 t5r

12. The Following User Says Thank You to martybelfastt5 For This Useful Post:

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    I think that first pic demonstrates perfectly that Volvos recommendation that it's a sealed for life 'box is well wide of the mark.
    Couldn't agree more to this statement but I think all Volvo mean in their warranty period then it's somebody else's problem.
    That's a job well done & nice it made a difference.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Yep, its a stupid decision, especially when Toyota have it as a 50k change item in their servicing of the same gearbox! Marty, I wouldn't recommend you try drinking that stuff, it was disgusting lol.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Couldn't agree more! To state that a mechanical item that is lubricated and cooled by the same fluid which is subject to high stress and high temperatures should not have a fluid change is suicide for the mechanical component in question, without even taking into consideration the higher performance and potential to be driven in a manor that the model is marketed for...

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Couldn't agree more! To state that a mechanical item that is lubricated and cooled by the same fluid which is subject to high stress and high temperatures should not have a fluid change is suicide for the mechanical component in question, without even taking into consideration the higher performance and potential to be driven in a manor that the model is marketed for...
    Not just volvo though, a lot of manufacturers state the same.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Monday 26th May 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Not just volvo though, a lot of manufacturers state the same.
    Oh I wasn't restricting that comment to just Volvo, working in the trade I still change the oil on the engine of the 850 every 2-3,000 miles and that's using expensive oil too, and the gearbox has had more oil changes than the engine had from new until I bought it!! Lot to be said for frequent oil changes, A LOT!

Thread Information