Join Today
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The BoneWagon

Wierdly beardly

Thanks

The BoneWagon

Not sure I've got a thread on my project car, so here it is!

I bought the Bonewagon from a VOC member as a project - its a 1998 V70R AWD auto in black. As advertised -

Name:  bonewagon advert.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  203.4 KB

And as delivered!

Its got less than 110k miles up confirmed by previous MoTs, but no service history. HPI clear and is pretty tidy overall. The MoT had expired and it had a few issues, namely a lazy bonnet release, a high pitch buggered bearing sound from the cambelt end of the engine, handbrake parts removed from rear axle, propshaft removed, timing belt due, PCV blocked and chuffing like a steam engine, and generally in need of a service and much TLC. The price wanted kept tumbling as he really wanted it shifting, so I paid not much more than scrap value in the end.

It starts easily despite being parked up for many months, and apart from the noisy bearing, runs very smoothly. I originally bought it as a possible breaker - for parts for my V70 FWD of identical age, but I soon fell in love with it (prefer the black to the nautic blue of the V70 FWD) so the plan was revised somewhat - save Bonewagon and transfer the LPG system over to it, then sell HotRod which has 176k up now (and rising rapidly - its so good to drive!).

The project was on hold until very recently as we're fitting a new kitchen, so all efforts and time is being spent on that, howver due to a delay in getting the cabinets I have a weekend free - so have placed a rather large order with FRF, which arrived yesterday, the day after being placed (top service from FRF as usual!)

In the box we have a timing belt kit including the tensioner and water pump, handbrake shoes springs and fitting kit, PCV kit, thermostat, radiator hose clips, transmission line o-rings and retainer clips (2 sets - one for Bonewagon and one for HotRod), full set of filters - oil, air ,fuel, pollen plus sump drain plug gaskets, throttle body gasket, spark plugs, accelerator cable plus various other gaskets and seals! Not cheap even with our discount code!!! I've also ordered some Goodridge braided brake hoses and Police spec front brake pads. Oh, and some Silkolene bearing grease to strip down and service the propshaft. It was removed by the PO as he thought the gearbox had gone in usual AWD style, but he later found that it was the handbrake mechanism that had disintegrated and was causing the grating noises! A quick examination of one side revealed that the dust shield was rubbing against the brake disc, so that may be a very easy fix!

So this weekend I'll be doing the tranny flush on both cars and hopefully will also be able to remove the fake ally dash trim which I think looks bloody awful.

Luckily, I think I'll be able to swap it for a redwood trim set as another V70 owner thinks the redwood is tacky lol. If I get the time I'll do the PCV service - I want to clean the alloy bits before replacing them, so it'll take longer than the usual half day to do.

I've managed to get an AWD dual exit exhaust from a VPC member which is due next week - that'll make the rear end look better, can't beat a twin exit exhaust I've also spoken to a friend who owns a local bodyshop, so Bonewagon will have the bumpers and bonnet repainted, along with attention paid to the various minor scratches commensurate with its age.

I'll get some pics up once I get the various jobs done.
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Thursday 22nd May 2014 at 15:37. Reason: added more pics
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Friday 6th June 2014)

looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks
    Looks nice in pics, I think black cars look good
    Ex Police V70 T5 SE now scrapped.
    Daily driver V60 D3 R-design

2004 C70 2.4T GT, modifications front strut brace, 19" Peg reps with white lettered tires.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to expolicev70t5 For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Thursday 22nd May 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    love them in black look so good when clean that will make a great wagon!
    1995 854 t5r

6. The Following User Says Thank You to martybelfastt5 For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Thursday 29th May 2014)

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Not sure what to do about the wheels - do I keep the Comets on, or swap the Satellites over from my other V70 before I sell it ??? As much as I like the Satellites, those Comets are growing on me I have to admit!

Got the Jetex exhaust yesterday, courtesy of Rudeboy - thanks mate, it looks great
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Thursday 29th May 2014 at 12:17.

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    I decided to write a quick to-do list for the BoneWagon... do you ever wish you hadn't done something?!!! lol

replace and adjust bonnet release cable - got parts
    replace timing belt, idlers and tensioner - got parts
    replace waterpump - got parts
    investigate cam-end bearing noise (PAS pump, aircon pump, aux belt tensioner?)
    replace radiator
    check coolant hoses, replace hose clamps with mikalor
    replace coolant
    replace thermostat - got parts
    replace PCV system - got parts
    clean idle control valve
    clean throttle body
    replace vacuum hoses with fuel injection hose
    replace engine & gearbox mounts
    flush ATF, replace cooler line clips & o-rings - got parts
    replace spark plugs, HT leads, distributor cap, rotor arm - got parts
    replace pollen filter - done
    replace air filter - done
    replace engine oil & oil filter - got parts
    replace turbo boost hoses?
    fit RIP kit?
    replace differential and viscous coupling oil
    refurbish wheels
    replace tyres - got parts
    rebuild handbrake - rear drum mechanisms and handbrake shoes to be replaced - got parts
    skim all brake discs
    replace front brake pads with Police spec ones - got parts
    replace brake hoses with braided ones - got parts
    replace brake fluid
    recharge aircon system
    replace all wiper blades
    replace and adjust accelerator cable - got parts
    replace radio with SC-901 and Dolby processor - got parts
    fit external DAB receiver and antenna - got antenna
    replace aluminium trim with Birch wood effect panels
    replace headlights & indicators with 'crystal' C70 ones - got parts
    replace exhaust with dual exit jetex - got parts
    replace battery with oversize one?
    replace propshaft centre bearing - got parts
    overhaul propshaft UJs - got parts
    refit propshaft
    check AWD system
    check springs & dampers (and bushes etc)
    fit iPD antiroll bars
    replace foglamps with good and tint lenses yellow - got parts
    get MoT !
    to bodyshop for partial respray
    tint rear windows
    clean interior, de-bobble alacantra material, treat leather, clean carpets, clean headlining
    fit LPG system

sell HotRod to pay for it !

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Think that list is bigger than mine was, lol. Look forward to updates, I do love a black car.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Should get all that done in a weekend.lol

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artfulflounder View Post
    Should get all that done in a weekend.lol
    If I had an uninterrupted 'long weekend' then maybe (I wish!!!), but as I can only grab an hour or so every couple of weekends its going to take a few months.

I've just sent one of my other projects off to a local garage to finish as I just don't have the time - its a Discovery Tdi (one of the last 500 made) which we are touring in come August/September... luckily its a mates rates job, as its going to take him four days solid work to get it ready for the MoT! (Discovery = rust lol)

Back to the BoneWagon, the colour theme is now down to black/red, black/orange and black/white... with black/white the current favourite. Still no further on the decision about which wheels to keep though - they both need a refurb so no advantage either way costwise.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    I bought a load cover and genuine dog guard for the BoneWagon and managed to get some time to fit them on Saturday. When I was fitting the dog guard I noticed that the rear passenger footwell was... bulging shall we say So I took a peek underneath. Sometimes its better not to know about something...

Name:  dent.jpg
Size:  373.1 KB

It looks like the car has come off a ramp, or has been jacked up in the wrong place. Its really made a mess of the floorpan. I don't think the subframe has been affected, but the strengtheners have def been toasted. This could explain why the car has done bugger all mileage over the last few years and has been passed on as a project a few times. Needless to say, this wasn't mentioned when I bought it! So I'll have to have a word with my friend who owns a bodyshop to see if its repairable, and how much it'll cost. To say I'm a bit miffed is putting it very very politely! If its going to write off the car then I'll seek legal advice obviously. In the meantime BoneWagon's future is in the balance

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    That's not good news to find that

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    I was absolutely fuming when I saw the extent of the damage. I'm sure it can be sorted, I've seen far worse damage being successfully repaired, its all a question of cost. My £500 project car has already had around £1k spent on it in parts - not fitted yet, but all ready to go on (see previous posts), so if I was to get another V70 AWD I could use them on that car, but I've really fallen for this old bus, which is when it gets very very dangerous to the health of my bank account ... My plans for it have pretty much been formed, its just time and money, so that was a major setback (to both most likely!).

I think the budget for the performance upgrades will have to be spent on that floorpan repair, and it might even eat up the paintwork budget too. First priority must be to get it safe, roadworthy and reliable, so it might be a bit of a dog for a year until I can afford to get the 'desirables' sorted out. I'm going to try and speak to the bodyshop later to see what the damage is going to be (sic). It might be that I do a lot of the dog work myself to help keep the bill down a bit - things like stripping the interior that can take hours, and maybe doing the rough panel beating too. It'll have to go on the alignment rig to check that the subframe mountings haven't been nudged of course. Poo poo poo poo poo

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Well some good news already! I emailed some pictures of the damage to two MoT testers that I know, and they've both got back to me just now and said they wouldn't fail the car on the basis of that damage alone - its not structural, and is not affecting the subframe mounts or seatbelt anchorages. They reckon that strip is not a structural reinforcement part as its too thin, its more likely to be a stiffener to prevent resonance and to give the footwells a more rigid feel

So, the BoneWagon will be saved after all! It means I can get all the mechanical bits sorted out in readiness for the MoT (PCV renewal and handbrake for example), then I can get it tested and drive it for a bit to see if there are any other major issues before taking it to the bodyshop for the dent and paintwork to be sorted - eventually!

Its like a cloud has lifted - feeling a huge sense of relief now!

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Glad to hear your good news.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

17. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Monday 16th June 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Sounds like a lucky escape, but shows the importance of checking under a car when buying it as well.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Indeed, usually I'm extremely thorough and pedantic, just that this time everything has been chaotic for several months, and I bought it off a VOC member who I trusted Still seriously miffed about it, but at least it isn't a show stopper.

looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks
    That's good news, as I was looking forward to seeing further posts after seeing all the bits you had assembled for the project.
    Ex Police V70 T5 SE now scrapped.
    Daily driver V60 D3 R-design

2004 C70 2.4T GT, modifications front strut brace, 19" Peg reps with white lettered tires.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to expolicev70t5 For This Useful Post:

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Thanks, yes its going to be quite a recommissioning project!

I found the source of the engine noise too - its the aircon pump. It only makes a noise every now and then, and it made an appearance when I fired it up on Saturday. Its a bolt on fix so I'm ok with that - I knew it'd be something like that, just a shame its not the PAS pump which would be much easier to replace (no need to discharge the AC system first).

The other good news is that I've been released from kitchen fitting duties this coming weekend The missus is out with some workmates, so I'm allowed to 'play with the Volvo' Should be able to get started with some of the jobs at long last!
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Monday 16th June 2014 at 13:06. Reason: typos

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Well I spent a bit of cash that I hadn't planned on spending quite so soon. Bought an 18T turbo from Claymore yesterday Got to smuggle that one into the garage somehow...

Hopefully the RIP and 960TB will mitigate any increase in lag - its not a huge upgrade really, but should help me reach 300bhp which is my notional target. With the associated increase in torque and AWD it'll be quite a sprightly drive
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Friday 20th June 2014 at 08:32.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Managed to get a few hours working on the BoneWagon yesterday - replaced the accelerator cable, replaced the across-the-front bonnet release cable, lubed the sunroof, replaced some broken bits of engine plastic (ECU cooler trunking etc), and tested the SC-901 radio that I'd bought a few weeks ago - all good

Name:  accel-cable.jpg
Size:  446.2 KB

As you can see the cable adjuster was broken and there was a lot of slack on the drum.

I was going to do an oil change on both cars, but I remembered that my ramps had been nicked the last time the garage had been done over I popped out to Halfords and didn't like the weedy ones they were selling, so I made one of my own - a bit ghetto style but a damn sight more sturdy and stronger than the Halfords ones -

Name:  diy-ramp.jpg
Size:  193.5 KB

Materials - 2x scaffold planks, 1x 4x4 fence post, 1x gate hinge and some 65mm screws. I reckon my 3 ton Landy would be safe on that

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Monday 23rd June 2014),martybelfastt5 (Tuesday 15th July 2014)

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    We had a week's holiday down in Devon last week, and despite the broadband being appalling, I managed to fall upon a few bargains

Firstly, a couple of iPD tools - a camshaft locking tool and the serpentine belt tool and tensioner adjuster... all for £47 inc shipping from the US and import duty !

The next item was a complete shock. I've been checking ebay several times a day since I bought the blue V70R back in February and this is the first time I've seen them for sale anywhere, literally worldwide... what are they? Birch wood trims!

Name:  birchtrim.jpg
Size:  284.0 KB

I had even considered buying a car with them in and then selling the car after swapping the trims, but these came up for sale at... well have a guess. £100? £200? They are very rare remember... How about £30 The only downside is that it includes a manual console not an auto one so I might have a problem finding one of those. Also no matching steering wheel or auto gear lever. But I'm still happy with what I bought, especially at that price!

I've already agreed with another member to swap my faux alloy trim for his redwood trim, so I'll do a trial fitting of both to see which I prefer.

I had to rob the radiator draincock off the Bonewagon a week ago, as I snapped the one on HotRod when I was emptying the coolant (doing a water pump change). As I need a new radiator on BoneWagon its no great shakes, just need to get a new radiator sooner rather than later now lol...

Thread Information