Join Today

Thread: The BoneWagon

Threaded View

Wierdly beardly

Thanks

The BoneWagon

Not sure I've got a thread on my project car, so here it is!

I bought the Bonewagon from a VOC member as a project - its a 1998 V70R AWD auto in black. As advertised -

Name:  bonewagon advert.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  203.4 KB

And as delivered!

Its got less than 110k miles up confirmed by previous MoTs, but no service history. HPI clear and is pretty tidy overall. The MoT had expired and it had a few issues, namely a lazy bonnet release, a high pitch buggered bearing sound from the cambelt end of the engine, handbrake parts removed from rear axle, propshaft removed, timing belt due, PCV blocked and chuffing like a steam engine, and generally in need of a service and much TLC. The price wanted kept tumbling as he really wanted it shifting, so I paid not much more than scrap value in the end.

It starts easily despite being parked up for many months, and apart from the noisy bearing, runs very smoothly. I originally bought it as a possible breaker - for parts for my V70 FWD of identical age, but I soon fell in love with it (prefer the black to the nautic blue of the V70 FWD) so the plan was revised somewhat - save Bonewagon and transfer the LPG system over to it, then sell HotRod which has 176k up now (and rising rapidly - its so good to drive!).

The project was on hold until very recently as we're fitting a new kitchen, so all efforts and time is being spent on that, howver due to a delay in getting the cabinets I have a weekend free - so have placed a rather large order with FRF, which arrived yesterday, the day after being placed (top service from FRF as usual!)

In the box we have a timing belt kit including the tensioner and water pump, handbrake shoes springs and fitting kit, PCV kit, thermostat, radiator hose clips, transmission line o-rings and retainer clips (2 sets - one for Bonewagon and one for HotRod), full set of filters - oil, air ,fuel, pollen plus sump drain plug gaskets, throttle body gasket, spark plugs, accelerator cable plus various other gaskets and seals! Not cheap even with our discount code!!! I've also ordered some Goodridge braided brake hoses and Police spec front brake pads. Oh, and some Silkolene bearing grease to strip down and service the propshaft. It was removed by the PO as he thought the gearbox had gone in usual AWD style, but he later found that it was the handbrake mechanism that had disintegrated and was causing the grating noises! A quick examination of one side revealed that the dust shield was rubbing against the brake disc, so that may be a very easy fix!

So this weekend I'll be doing the tranny flush on both cars and hopefully will also be able to remove the fake ally dash trim which I think looks bloody awful.

Luckily, I think I'll be able to swap it for a redwood trim set as another V70 owner thinks the redwood is tacky lol. If I get the time I'll do the PCV service - I want to clean the alloy bits before replacing them, so it'll take longer than the usual half day to do.

I've managed to get an AWD dual exit exhaust from a VPC member which is due next week - that'll make the rear end look better, can't beat a twin exit exhaust I've also spoken to a friend who owns a local bodyshop, so Bonewagon will have the bumpers and bonnet repainted, along with attention paid to the various minor scratches commensurate with its age.

I'll get some pics up once I get the various jobs done.
    Last edited by RollingThunder; Thursday 22nd May 2014 at 15:37. Reason: added more pics
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Friday 6th June 2014)

Thread Information