Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s40t View Post
    Took apart again today and found this
    Attachment 25220
    Would this caus no drive, I don't see how as it doesn't rely on just the small end for the drive surely? Hopefully this is the only problem. If anyone has a driveshaft I could have let me know
    Ouch, that doesn't look too clever, but as you said above, that wouldn't explain why the car wouldn't go into gear properly.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Attachment 25220
    Would this caus no drive, I don't see how as it doesn't rely on just the small end for the drive surely? Hopefully this is the only problem. If anyone has a driveshaft I could have let me know
    Guessing thats the section wear the circlip gose
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Attachment 25220
    I may have a driveshaft if you're still after one mate. I always hoard spares for mine just in case!
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    Guessing thats the section wear the circlip gose
    It is indeed

I still don't get how it just slots into gear without usin clutch, there must be more to it than just a cm of d/s snapping? Would a failed dmf be te next culprit? Unless the input shaft has snapped...
    Last edited by s40t; Thursday 22nd May 2014 at 21:44. Reason: More information added

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    I may have a driveshaft if you're still after one mate. I always hoard spares for mine just in case!
    How much bud as I obviously need one anyway lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have it for nowt mate. I know the feeling when it seems nothing is going right with the car. Stick with it. Can you arrange the courier? I'll let you know when I have it packaged up. Was OS or NS?

This user has no status
    Thanks

Just been out to garage to check and found it. Looks in pretty condition. Came out of my old T4 which I dismantled. Has a slight weep from the inner cv boot but is from being picked up which has dislodged it. Was fine on the car. Prob just need a new jubilee or just sliding back into place to sort it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Friday 23rd May 2014)

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post

Just been out to garage to check and found it. Looks in pretty condition. Came out of my old T4 which I dismantled. Has a slight weep from the inner cv boot but is from being picked up which has dislodged it. Was fine on the car. Prob just need a new jubilee or just sliding back into place to sort it.

Really would appreciate that bud! Can you pm me collection address so I can reply with delivery address. Then jus let us know when to have it collected

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    You might not be far wrong there!!

All depends where the clutch was fitted.......

At a Volvo Dealer it would of been fitted the correct way which also includes cleaning AND lubricating of the gearbox output splines which go into the clutch plate.

I have never heard of any general garage doing this and owners have had similar problems and have had to take the motor back to redo and lubricate.

I suppose it all depends how much dirt and grime including any dry rust has been deposited on the splines in the first place as some get away without doing this process. Also they are all DMF which should of really been replaced...false economy not to seeing as so many man hours involved.

The T4 is a very fussy animal which is why i always used Volvo parts for the nearly the 3 yrs i had mine with superb reliability......they are very temperamental and quite the opposite to our T5 which is very forgiving most of the time....surprising what one extra pot does!

Some pics: as you can see a part number for cleaner and another for the special lubricant. Read also Checking Function Of Clutch

.................................................. .
    not all t4's are dmf, my 1998 was SMF

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by partsforvolvos.com View Post
    not all t4's are dmf, my 1998 was SMF
    There always has to be one!.......

The 1855 T4 originally came out in about November 1997 and being of Volvo manufactured these can be termed "1998 models"

At a changeover period or a new model some parts are used if at hand on the production line but from `98 onwards all T4`s with the Concentric clutch release had DMF`s.

On the `97 model also the REAR O2 sensor also has the longer lead and is almost identical to the front one as it plugs in on the front scuttle. These are Volvo only parts and you will not find one anywhere else!...the `98 sensor is completely different and these are governed by engine number only.

New models have a settling in period as you should know!.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    that's true, I was grateful it didn't as no need to change when I fitted a new clutch !

that info on vida is a bit wrong, mine was in the top highlighted listing, not until after this engine serial change did they have dmf and it was very late 98 I think.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This user has no status

Thanks
    I do know what you mean with VIDA that is why i only use the program Vadis as that covers up to 2004/5 models which is more comprehensive than Vida for our models. A lot of info is missed out on Vida `cos it it more for the later models!

I don`t want anyone to think i am a know it all because i`m not ........but when 7yrs ago i was pensioned off with a bad back complaint which has only just been fixed last year with a serious op, one can only do things like reading and so i read Vadis and do know the in`s and out`s of it mostly.....6GB of black and white drawings and writing is a lot to get through but then i did have enough time!!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    I do know what you mean with VIDA that is why i only use the program Vadis as that covers up to 2004/5 models which is more comprehensive than Vida for our models. A lot of info is missed out on Vida `cos it it more for the later models!

I don`t want anyone to think i am a know it all because i`m not ........but when 7yrs ago i was pensioned off with a bad back complaint which has only just been fixed last year with a serious op, one can only do things like reading and so i read Vadis and do know the in`s and out`s of it mostly.....6GB of black and white drawings and writing is a lot to get through but then i did have enough time!!

I would class you as the human version of auto data for me lol. Mine DOES have a dmf, it's got an edge with no teeth and I could pry it slightly before. I still dont know what could have caused no drive?
    Went to change gear, geared and released clutch and then drive went straight away engine was under load, uphill slightly too. Just remember, the clutch isn't needed to put it I to gear when running.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    hey people, i found out dual mass is ok, gearbox is all good, so im thinking the snapped drivehsaft may have popped out of the teeth binding slots as it wasn't locked in from snapping, annoying but better safe to check than sorry. i just need a gearbox seal as the spring came from the current one. im putting the gearbox back on and have a quick question. there are 3 tension springs on the pressure plate, are these suppose to be retracted already, or should the springs be stretched out? these are the ones im referring to:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...5/DSC02340.jpg

ive been told theyre supposed to be out, but the forum this image is on says they should be like shown, which mine are?

thanks

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    You might not be far wrong there!!

All depends where the clutch was fitted.......

At a Volvo Dealer it would of been fitted the correct way which also includes cleaning AND lubricating of the gearbox output splines which go into the clutch plate.

I have never heard of any general garage doing this and owners have had similar problems and have had to take the motor back to redo and lubricate.

I suppose it all depends how much dirt and grime including any dry rust has been deposited on the splines in the first place as some get away without doing this process. Also they are all DMF which should of really been replaced...false economy not to seeing as so many man hours involved.

The T4 is a very fussy animal which is why i always used Volvo parts for the nearly the 3 yrs i had mine with superb reliability......they are very temperamental and quite the opposite to our T5 which is very forgiving most of the time....surprising what one extra pot does!

Some pics: as you can see a part number for cleaner and another for the special lubricant. Read also Checking Function Of Clutch

.................................................. .
    Interesting.... I washed my current M56 gearbox in the bath using the shower, HD degreaser and fairy platinum. Came up a treat.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    finally its fixed! its still slightly grinding, i put down to air in system stilll so will sort, but its done!....
    looool i joke, another problem. extremely rough idling, to the point where it wont move. was ok for a few minutes, put turbo under load, and started bogging down, then died. pressure in fuel rail, all sensors connected and battery charging. it wouldnt be where the battery terminal wasnt connected and its never have enough power to charge itself could it? ill see tomorrow problem after problem, maybe its a sign :/

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    1, how much fuel is in it?
    2, is it a knacked coil pack or the wiring plug to them? - both very common

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by partsforvolvos.com View Post
    1, how much fuel is in it?
    2, is it a knacked coil pack or the wiring plug to them? - both very common
    I sorted it, the inter cooler hose at bottom blew off. Cars all done now, anyone know how to get the hazards to stop flashing when I locked it? :|

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I sorted it, the inter cooler hose at bottom blew off. Cars all done now, anyone know how to get the hazards to stop flashing when I locked it? :|
    If they only flash a couple of times, you can't, they do that to show the car is locked an immobilised.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    If they only flash a couple of times, you can't, they do that to show the car is locked an immobilised.
    yeah i know this, but they constantly flash. i found the caus, when i lock with bonnet open it dont flash, as soon as i touch the connector on release mech it starts flashing, what ways can this be resolved?

Thread Information