Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks

Urgent info required, clutch problem

hi guys i have a pretty £££££ problem. my clutch has gone, i know the fault isn't the clutch friction plate (although now juddering and slipping) but there is a leak along the line somewhere. basic info for you wonderful people:
    1998 1.9 t4
    the main cylinder isnt leaking
    no leaking from pipes
    notice a small chipped part off of gearbox next to bottom housing bolt, this is where its leaking

went to change gear and the pedal went hard, suddenyl to half way soft, then rock hard untill all the fluid drained...
    so the leak is internal, which tells me that either the slave cylinder OR release bearing has failed and caused liquid to get onto the friction plate causing this slip/judder.

is the slave cylinder internal as ive read elsewhere?
    is the release bearing hydraulic internally as ive seen different types that are separate, attached to slave etc.
    any help would be deeply appreciated.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    What year is your car mate .i know that a lot of the phase 2 turbos are internal and the bearing and slave cylinder is on piece .but I could be wrong weather 1 or 2 piece

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    If it's like later 5 pots, it'll have a concentric slave cylinder, which is a slave cylinder and release bearing combined, it does sound as if this has failed.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    What year is your car mate .i know that a lot of the phase 2 turbos are internal and the bearing and slave cylinder is on piece .but I could be wrong weather 1 or 2 piece
    It's 1998 man

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s40t View Post
    It's 1998 man
    Look at the top of the gearbox and see if you can see a slave cylinder

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    It should be an internal slave cylinder on your car and a small spline clutch. It sounds like you have a clutch/ slave cylinder problem. If your doing the work take care when removing the front lower crossmember bolts as they can break the captive nuts off.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Does sound like a slave cylinder job if it doesn't have a clutch cable.

Not sure if it will fit your car but I'm selling a low mileage slave cylinder, only done 8K miles on it if it's any use....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2813386574...84.m1555.l2649

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    all t4's and 2.0T s40/v40 have internal slave cylinder because they have m56 box.
    unfortunately your's has had it by the looks of things.

its this type
    link

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    thanks for the reply people! the clutch was wrecked! and release bearing seal had come off but no sealing anymore.. thanks guys!
    Name:  10364198_10203013917902892_219779335252951286_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  225.6 KB

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Nothing a bit of Araldite can't fix. I'd think it'd been contaminated by oil to do that.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s40t View Post
    thanks for the reply people! the clutch was wrecked! and release bearing seal had come off but no sealing anymore.. thanks guys!
    Name:  10364198_10203013917902892_219779335252951286_n.jpg
Size:  225.6 KB

That looks like my old clutch did when they pulled it off!

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    UPDATE: new clutch fitted and bearing. Was driving for about 30 miles and was ok, it wouldn't go straight Into first without grinding unless putting in gently or clutch in for a couple seconds, but went to pull away uphill earlier and BANG! All drive completely gone!

So more info:
    Driveshafts are in one piece
    Clutch isn't leaking and still feels good
    It can go straight Into any gear without the clutch when cars is stationary and doesn't grind at all

I know the drivers side d/s has a two part uv joint in the middle after the baring carrier, can this snap at the uv joint to cause the no drive? But it wouldn't explain it sliding straight into gear :S

I'm starting to become impatient with this car, I had less problems with my starlet in the year and half 2 years!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Impossible to say without seeing the car. But a poirly bleed clutch could explain the crunch. Its always possible a inner cv has gone bust. They are fragile. Give the shafts a wiggle. Youll know if there shafted
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

will it never end?
    Thanks
    There's also the possibilty it hasn't been fitted properly, and the clutch has gone again.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    There's also the possibilty it hasn't been fitted properly, and the clutch has gone again.
    Very slim chance though. Its almost impossible to do it wrong.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    Very slim chance though. Its almost impossible to do it wrong.
    Ah, like James T5's?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Ah, like James T5's?

thing is james didnt replace the dmf and tried to do it on the cheap. you cut corners itll come back and bite you hard. i still stand by what i said to james. if you fit a clutch wrong youll know about it the first time you dip the clutch with the engine running.

This user has no status

Thanks
    You might not be far wrong there!!

All depends where the clutch was fitted.......

At a Volvo Dealer it would of been fitted the correct way which also includes cleaning AND lubricating of the gearbox output splines which go into the clutch plate.

I have never heard of any general garage doing this and owners have had similar problems and have had to take the motor back to redo and lubricate.

I suppose it all depends how much dirt and grime including any dry rust has been deposited on the splines in the first place as some get away without doing this process. Also they are all DMF which should of really been replaced...false economy not to seeing as so many man hours involved.

The T4 is a very fussy animal which is why i always used Volvo parts for the nearly the 3 yrs i had mine with superb reliability......they are very temperamental and quite the opposite to our T5 which is very forgiving most of the time....surprising what one extra pot does!

Some pics: as you can see a part number for cleaner and another for the special lubricant. Read also Checking Function Of Clutch

.................................................. .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

stribo (Thursday 22nd May 2014)

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    You might not be far wrong there!!

All depends where the clutch was fitted.......

At a Volvo Dealer it would of been fitted the correct way which also includes cleaning AND lubricating of the gearbox output splines which go into the clutch plate.

I have never heard of any general garage doing this and owners have had similar problems and have had to take the motor back to redo and lubricate.

I suppose it all depends how much dirt and grime including any dry rust has been deposited on the splines in the first place as some get away without doing this process. Also they are all DMF which should of really been replaced...false economy not to seeing as so many man hours involved.

The T4 is a very fussy animal which is why i always used Volvo parts for the nearly the 3 yrs i had mine with superb reliability......they are very temperamental and quite the opposite to our T5 which is very forgiving most of the time....surprising what one extra pot does!

Some pics: as you can see a part number for cleaner and another for the special lubricant. Read also Checking Function Of Clutch

.................................................. .
    Appreciate everyone's reply. D/s don't move, gearbox input shaft was lubricated as well as release bearing face. Clutch hasn't gone it I would of smelled it.. Badly within the 30 miles. I'll get it of and let you all know. Thanks.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Took apart again today and found this
    Name:  image.jpg
Size:  1.92 MB
    Would this caus no drive, I don't see how as it doesn't rely on just the small end for the drive surely? Hopefully this is the only problem. If anyone has a driveshaft I could have let me know
    Last edited by s40t; Thursday 22nd May 2014 at 18:17. Reason: Spelling error

Thread Information