Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2005 Volvo S80 2.4 D5 163 Bhp
    Thanks

volvo s80 d5 not starting anymore! !

Hi everybody. My name is Nick and I own a 2005 S80, 2.4 D5 for about 6 months now. I never had any problems with it until a few days ago when a red triangle appeared in the dashboard along with the message ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT, and the car went into limp mode with no power and no revs whatsoever. I've stopped the engine and turned it on again and everything came to normal. This happened about 3 times this week. Yesterday morning when I was on my way to work, I was doing 40 mph and suddenly the message and the red triangle appeared again about 4 times in 3 miles. Eventually, the engine stopped exactly in front of my workplace (lucky me) and it didn't wanted to start again. A colleague of mine plugged in an ODB reader and it came with "P0094 Fuel System Leak Detected" fault. According to some volvo forums, the fault may be caused by the fuel filter being blocked. So I've changed straight away. Now, there is fuel in the filter, there is fuel in the feeding pipe but the engine still doesn't wants to start. How can I check if the high pressure pump or the injectors are working? What can be the problem? Anyone experienced something similar? Is it common fault on D5 engines? Thank you!

The old girl is a little rough
    Thanks
    Crack one of the injector fuel lines off and see if the fuel is actually reaching the injector?

Try taking off battery for 30 mins to reset things.

Keep cranking the beast! Make sure battery is good too.

Had similair fault on an old 850 T5r, fuel pump would prime, then do nothing else, engine would briefly fire up and cut out, had to bridge the fuel pump relay to keep the pump on constantly.

Someone with better knowledge will be along to help you out im sure
    Last edited by pillapow; Sunday 11th May 2014 at 00:50.
    '04 S60 D5 163

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Welcome to the club hope you get sorted soon.
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your reply! I have loosen one of the injectors and I've kept cranking it up but the is no fuel coming... Can it be the high pressure pomp sensor?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pillapow View Post
    Crack one of the injector fuel lines off and see if the fuel is actually reaching the injector?

Try taking off battery for 30 mins to reset things.

Keep cranking the beast! Make sure battery is good too.

Had similair fault on an old 850 T5r, fuel pump would prime, then do nothing else, engine would briefly fire up and cut out, had to bridge the fuel pump relay to keep the pump on constantly.

Someone with better knowledge will be along to help you out im sure
    And one more thing... if I disconnect the battery, where can I find the code for the audio system afterwards? Thank you!

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_cleric View Post
    And one more thing... if I disconnect the battery, where can I find the code for the audio system afterwards? Thank you!
    If it's like the S60, there is no code.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Double check the fuel filter is full. If no fill it up and try angain
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    If it's like the S60, there is no code.
    It is a S80. Hopefully it's the same. Thank you.
    Last edited by tha_cleric; Sunday 11th May 2014 at 10:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    Double check the fuel filter is full. If no fill it up and try angain
    When I've changed the fuel filter, I had no diesel to pour in so I had to put it back dry. I have cranked the car a lot and then I've checked the fuel filter again. And it was full....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had my fuel filter done yesterday and it took about 15mins to get it started but hopefully it gets going soon
    Cars

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plodmonkey View Post
    Had my fuel filter done yesterday and it took about 15mins to get it started but hopefully it gets going soon
    Thank you mate. I've tried a lot to start it but it doesn't wants to.... The thing is I have very limited resources to check the fault. I work for Audi, you see....and we have everything we need to sort out Audi cars, but when it comes to Volvos, I'm just like my 3 weeks old son... I love my car and I wouldn't change Volvo with anything in the world...but I'm a little bit concerned about this situation...

This user has no status

Thanks
    try spaying a bit of easy start in the intake pipe to get it going, some of these new cars can be a pain to get started after the fuel filter has been changed

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 T5s View Post
    try spaying a bit of easy start in the intake pipe to get it going, some of these new cars can be a pain to get started after the fuel filter has been changed
    Thank you for your reply. I've tried that as well. The car it's running on easy start for a few seconds and then it dies again. I don't know what to say....

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    With the dry filter going in it might have introduced an air lock into the diesel lines to the injectors. But that doesn't explain why the code came up in the first place unless the filter was well overdue

If these cars have a lift pump in the tank maybe you can run that to prime the lines...just a thought never tried it

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv.../t-144870.html

Is the tank almost empty...?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    With the dry filter going in it might have introduced an air lock into the diesel lines to the injectors. But that doesn't explain why the code came up in the first place unless the filter was well overdue

If these cars have a lift pump in the tank maybe you can run that to prime the lines...just a thought never tried it

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv.../t-144870.html

Is the tank almost empty...?
    I'm pretty sure the fuel filter wasn't changed for a long time, cuz it was soggy and extremely dirty. The fuel tank is 3/4 full, so there is plenty of diesel in it. The thing is, the guy who had the car before me, was a farmer. And he told me that he used red diesel (generator diesel) a few times. Could this be the problem? But I mean, I've had the car for more than 6 moths now and this issue only appeared now. And another thing....I can't hear the pomp at all when I'm turning the ignition on... which one should make a sound, the in tank one or the high pressure one? Thank you.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_cleric View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fuel filter wasn't changed for a long time, cuz it was soggy and extremely dirty. The fuel tank is 3/4 full, so there is plenty of diesel in it. The thing is, the guy who had the car before me, was a farmer. And he told me that he used red diesel (generator diesel) a few times. Could this be the problem? But I mean, I've had the car for more than 6 moths now and this issue only appeared now. And another thing....I can't hear the pomp at all when I'm turning the ignition on... which one should make a sound, the in tank one or the high pressure one? Thank you.
    Is it a Euro 3 or a Euro 4 fella? Euro 3 has black engine cover. Don't think the red diesel would have hurt it as far as I know

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    Is it a Euro 3 or a Euro 4 fella? Euro 3 has black engine cover. Don't think the red diesel would have hurt it as far as I know
    it is a 2005 plate but it has black engine cover... so I quite don't know which euro is it...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's the non dpf engine euro 3
    Cars

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Plodmonkey For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 11th May 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plodmonkey View Post
    It's the non dpf engine euro 3
    Can you be more specific mate? Sorry but I quite don't know what that means...

Thanks
    The question is, besides disconnecting the battery for half an hour, what exactly do I need to check if it's working properly and how? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Thread Information