Join Today
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    They all get marks on the top pipe bracket, from the under bonnet insulation, but sounds like it has split a liner.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Tuesday 3rd June 2014)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    My dad will sell you his for 6k and his is spot on lol
    Thanks
    Martyn

4. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

Owner of a SupeRioR
    Thanks
    As Stribo said, even mine had marks on the pipe when I bought it at 43k. It's not too hard to clean off. I've NEVER had to top mine up with coolant! Sounds like possible Liners!
    Doing my bit for the environment by driving a 'Green' car!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkey R For This Useful Post:

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    Well, went to see the S60R……looks like it’s had a bit of a hard life

It was dark at the time so I’ve asked to have a second look daytime plus get it to Volvo for a diagnostic check.

Top radiator hose wasn’t hard but on looking under the bonnet I noticed two things – a fair amount of marking on the charge air pipe into the intercooler and a hissing noise from the expansion tank. I asked the owner and he said he tops it up ‘regularly’ with coolant. Temperature gauge remained at 12 o’clock throughout, ambient temperature was 38 degrees C (scorchio!). Insulation marking on that pipe says to me that the engine has been dancing around a bit.

Seems to drive OK but scraping noise on full lock and slight rattle over bumpy bits – nothing serious bushes on the way out maybe?? Minor point – paint flaking on the strips on the roof, some marking on the leather seats.

I’m just weighing up how much it will cost me plus possible repairs……..it’s up for just under 6K. External stuff I’m not too worried about but if the liners are going then getting a new (shimmed) block out here might be hard work!
    Totally normal. Its the tyres rubbing on the wheel arch liners. Mine used to do it until I fitted new lock stops.

Most likely in need of a SUM update to stop the shocks topping out (mine used to do that too) or more likely it needs new anti roll bar links.

The biggest concern for me would be the cooling system losing water. It shouldn't, full stop!
    You need to establish if its an external leak (easy fix) or internal.....As Harvey says...walk away if so!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Thanks very much for all the comments, gents

Lee thanks for the extra detail as usual!

I'll have a better look in the daylight including underneath & if any water in the oil/vice versa. If no sign of leaks then I think it's a no go, sad to say that

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    My dad will sell you his for 6k and his is spot on lol
    if that includes transport to Doha and conversion to LHD, you've got a deal!

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    if that includes transport to Doha and conversion to LHD, you've got a deal!
    Of course it does
    Thanks
    Martyn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Of course it does
    That had better include a holiday as well.!!
    Oh I forgot i'm on holiday 24/7 now

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    That had better include a holiday as well.!!
    Oh I forgot i'm on holiday 24/7 now
    welcome anytime, fella!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Had a message from the guy selling the S60......he says he took the car to Volvo & had a 'coolant leak check' done, whatever that is. I've done a lot of pressure testing in my time and very much doubt there are any such tests that can identify split liners. As far as I know the only way to confirm is by taking the head off or using a boroscope (maybe), neither of which have been done.

The short version of my answer was - very nice, would you accept 4K for it...

alternatives to the Volvo are a Clio 182 and an Impreza WRX......
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Saturday 7th June 2014 at 08:55.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Not surprisingly, the guy wanted more than 4k for the car...so....here endeth this thread

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Ey up the guy dropped the price to near 4k.....didn't tell me though, must be off his Christmas card list

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    So......is it still available? Are you gonna get it? For 4k I'd rip his arm off! - split liners or not. They are only £500 to fix and you get a new timing belt kit with that too!

Anyway, if it's a 2007 car (which you say it is) I doubt very much it's liners. On that model year, Volvo (secretly) dropped the compression ration by making the piston crown shorter and further more by decreasing the size of the piston rings slightly to allow more 'blow by'.
    This course of action was to prevent liners from cracking. Bottom line is, 56 - 07 cars are pretty much bomb proof.
    If you want to know how to check yours - pm me.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 26th June 2014 at 02:41.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 26th June 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    So......is it still available? Are you gonna get it? For 4k I'd rip his arm off! - split liners or not. They are only £500 to fix and you get a new timing belt kit with that too!

Anyway, if it's a 2007 car (which you say it is) I doubt very much it's liners. On that model year, Volvo (secretly) dropped the compression ration by making the piston crown shorter and further more by decreasing the size of the piston rings slightly to allow more 'blow by'.
    This course of action was to prevent liners from cracking. Bottom line is, 56 - 07 cars are pretty much bomb proof.
    Thanks Lee

The guy is ignoring me now....maybe it's gone only re-advertised yesterday tho

edit

car is still available! The guy was talking about talking the head off....I said don't bother will take it. That head is not coming off unless someone who knows what they are doing is near for shimming plus setting up the VVT
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Thursday 26th June 2014 at 06:46.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanks Lee

The guy is ignoring me now....maybe it's gone only re-advertised yesterday tho

edit

car is still available! The guy was talking about talking the head off....I said don't bother will take it. That head is not coming off unless someone who knows what they are doing is near for shimming plus setting up the VVT
    Very wise.

Reminds me of when I bought my P1 R. The seller removed the car from Autotrader ad and declined two ppl ringing about it on the very morning I was going to see it. he told me he couldn't sell it cos the engine management light had come on and the car was running lumpy with reduced power. i negotiated a price (£700 less than advertised) and drove the car gently home. Knowing it would be a simple fix.

Turned out it was ETM.

Trip to the dealer, new ETM and software and car was spanking again! Sweet. I saved £400!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 26th June 2014)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    ....I said don't bother will take it.
    T5r coming to Manchester then?!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    T5r coming to Manchester then?!
    first offer over a grand secures I would take less but only without the nitrous kit

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post

LeeT5 - is there anywhere I can find all the upgrades and changes they made for the 56-07 cars? Or is it just a case of trawling through the forums to find chaps like yourself? I'd also like to read about the differences between a standard 2.5 T5 engine and the 2.5 engine that is in the R's.

Thanks

Jonny
    2006 V70R Manual - All standard for now....

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_rotten View Post
    LeeT5 - is there anywhere I can find all the upgrades and changes they made for the 56-07 cars? Or is it just a case of trawling through the forums to find chaps like yourself? I'd also like to read about the differences between a standard 2.5 T5 engine and the 2.5 engine that is in the R's.

Thanks

Jonny
    There is no 2.5 T5 unless you get the later S40 V50 C30 or C70. The later P2s had a 2.4 T5 which was pretty much the same as the R engine other than the cc, and the mapping.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Mine!

Attachment 25671

Attachment 25672

Attachment 25673

Attachment 25674

The Scooby was good but the R does it for me

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Wednesday 2nd July 2014),Jamest5r (Wednesday 2nd July 2014),ks_p (Wednesday 2nd July 2014)

Thread Information