Join Today
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Was the coolant actually low, or is it just a dodgy sensor.
    actually went down fella, message flashed up on the dash when the coolant was ££££ on min level. I'll keep an eye on it..................oh yeah & change the cap just in case although it doesn't look old
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Wednesday 30th July 2014 at 07:12.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Bottom line is, if you have to keep topping it up from a precise level then it's got a leak, be it internal or external.
    If it's external then its safe to drive so long as you keep topping up with a 50/50 mix of coolant until you can get the leak sorted (preferably soonest) but if its internal then it's not safe to drive and to continue doing so will cause further damage.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 30th July 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Bottom line is, if you have to keep topping it up from a precise level then it's got a leak, be it internal or external.
    If it's external then its safe to drive so long as you keep topping up with a 50/50 mix of coolant until you can get the leak sorted (preferably soonest) but if its internal then it's not safe to drive and to continue doing so will cause further damage.
    Can't see any external leaks...doesn't appear to be losing anything - the level is fluctuating. Sniff test needed!

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Does it idle cleanly or have a slight stumble/dip every few seconds?

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    Does it idle cleanly or have a slight stumble/dip every few seconds?
    Idle is good, runs high when first fired up - about 1.5k, then drops to a very steady 750 rpm

Just took it out for a run in 40 plus ambient temps, stuck in traffic for hours - coolant was around minimum when I set off, level definitely drops as the car warms up, then rises when it cools or when the expansion tank cap is (carefully) cracked

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Ignore all that pish above about levels rising & falling (fall & rise...of reggie perrin),

The car is definitely using coolant, must be passing somewhere just slightly as there is quite a bit of pressure left in the expansion tank a while after a run.

I don't know how people can sell cars on & keep quiet when they know there is a fault. If I'd bought this for 6k I'd be pissed off now. The previous owner was still claiming it was fine....got the headlight & coolant warning messages within days of starting to use the car....never seen those before....sure....

Anyway, booked in for a 4-wheel alignment on Saturday

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    The car is now with Volvo for a strip down......with strict instructions to stop & give me a call when the head is off

Anyone got a shimmed 2.5 block they don't need.....with a price including postage to Doha

This user has no status

Thanks
    If it helps you could drop a 2.4 in there or hybridise a 2.3 block with with your engine.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I shimmed my split liner and it's been perfect so far after 1500 miles of summer driving in town, nit a drop of coolant has been used. It's much less hassle and cheaper than dropping the engine especially if it's in a garage, basically same price as head gasket.

As above, I had a spare already split s60r engine my friend has used, re bored into a 2.3 block and I shimmed the liners for him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 10th August 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    If it helps you could drop a 2.4 in there or hybridise a 2.3 block with with your engine.
    Thanks for the comment

I heard that was possible but wasn't sure how much work it was.....my very ideal plan was to strip down, identify the cracked liner or liners then swap the block for the shimmed item & build back up.

I'm reluctant to source an engine here as there isn't a great deal of experience with these cars (myself included) & shipping an entire engine scares the ££££ out of me tbh. I do like to keep as standard as possible although that's not a major thing.

There's a few C30s with the 2.5 engine about the city so maybe a block can be had here, probably for mega money though & no shims

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I shimmed my split liner and it's been perfect so far after 1500 miles of summer driving in town, nit a drop of coolant has been used. It's much less hassle and cheaper than dropping the engine especially if it's in a garage, basically same price as head gasket.

As above, I had a spare already split s60r engine my friend has used, re bored into a 2.3 block and I shimmed the liners for him.
    Thanks for that info

What you mean - shimmed after a split & it was successful? Sounds good to me if so. I can't carry a block in my hand luggage but shims I can

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    Thanks for the comment

I heard that was possible but wasn't sure how much work it was.....my very ideal plan was to strip down, identify the cracked liner or liners then swap the block for the shimmed item & build back up.

I'm reluctant to source an engine here as there isn't a great deal of experience with these cars (myself included) & shipping an entire engine scares the ££££ out of me tbh. I do like to keep as standard as possible although that's not a major thing.

There's a few C30s with the 2.5 engine about the city so maybe a block can be had here, probably for mega money though & no shims
    I was assuming you'd be able to source something local. The 2.4 drops straight in, you'd probably need an experienced engine builder for the 2.3 option, which is popular in Europe and it's more complex.

Both of those options will require a small adjustment of the map as displacement will have changed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    I was assuming you'd be able to source something local. The 2.4 drops straight in, you'd probably need an experienced engine builder for the 2.3 option, which is popular in Europe and it's more complex.

Both of those options will require a small adjustment of the map as displacement will have changed.
    I did hear of a 2.4 over in Dubai available but that could be a bag of 600 quid bag of ££££e. I'll give Shemtek & Tim Williams a shout, see if they can help with bits for a 2.5. Assume I will need at least new rings to go with a new block

I had a new ECU with mapping for ethanol on order from TME but it's on hold until this is sorted...that is my Absolut-ly Fabulous project.....Absolut = vodka = ethanol...sorry

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    News just in from Volvo...according to the history, the cylinder head was off 25,000 km ago...

that might scupper my plan for new block & reusing the head

This user has no status

Thanks
    I did hear of a 2.4 over in Dubai available but that could be a bag of 600 quid bag of ££££e. I'll give Shemtek & Tim Williams a shout, see if they can help with bits for a 2.5. Assume I will need at least new rings to go with a new block

I had a new ECU with mapping for ethanol on order from TME but it's on hold until this is sorted...that is my Absolut-ly Fabulous project.....Absolut = vodka = ethanol...sorry
    Cool, E85, I wish we had that here. You'll probably max your greens rather quick with that

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Thanks for that info

What you mean - shimmed after a split & it was successful? Sounds good to me if so. I can't carry a block in my hand luggage but shims I can
    Shimming the liners is a repair that works and saves buying a new engine.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 10th August 2014),LeeT5 (Wednesday 13th August 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Cool, E85, I wish we had that here. You'll probably max your greens rather quick with that
    therein lies the problem....alcohol is strictly prohibited here without a licence . The map is for greens & up to 20% ethanol

Anyway, I don't think I'll be here long. I can't work in a place where the gas cookers drive better cars than their clients

Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    Shimming the liners is a repair that works and saves buying a new engine.

Thanks, what is that material pls - 304 stainless, spring steel..?

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    I used stainless shimming steel, brought a pack of assorted sizes then cut them into 10mm wide strips. They where a light tap in them

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

23. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    I used stainless shimming steel, brought a pack of assorted sizes then cut them into 10mm wide strips. They where a light tap in them
    You'll do for me, stainless has the least thermal expansion of the three materials I can see menitoned in the thread below...

http://forums.turbobricks.com/archiv.../t-204481.html

spring steel
    aluminum 6061
    stainless

thanks, will update..........

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

oblark (Sunday 10th August 2014)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    The car is now with Volvo for a strip down......with strict instructions to stop & give me a call when the head is off

Anyone got a shimmed 2.5 block they don't need.....with a price including postage to Doha

You wouldnt beleve what i have in the corner of my garage. Shipping isnt a issue either
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

27. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

Thread Information