Join Today
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Some people just get attached to their cars, so that they don't mind throwing cash at it, i don't see why it should bother anyone else. Anyone on here that is moddifing "just an old volvo" is doing exactly the same.

Why spend thousands on a car that is worth 2k, rebuilding the engine, bigger turbo, brakes, suspension, etc, when you could just buy a newer/faster car to begin with? Because thats what some people like to do and i can't see a problem with that.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

bjpub (Saturday 3rd May 2014),JamesT5 (Friday 2nd May 2014),jamesy12345 (Saturday 3rd May 2014),laughjimbo (Saturday 3rd May 2014),S70T5Chris (Saturday 3rd May 2014),silverhorse (Friday 2nd May 2014),V70 Graham (Friday 2nd May 2014)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Some people just get attached to their cars, so that they don't mind throwing cash at it, i don't see why it should bother anyone else. Anyone on here that is moddifing "just an old volvo" is doing exactly the same.

Why spend thousands on a car that is worth 2k, rebuilding the engine, bigger turbo, brakes, suspension, etc, when you could just buy a newer/faster car to begin with? Because thats what some people like to do and i can't see a problem with that.
    Very true.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 2nd May 2014),V70 Graham (Friday 2nd May 2014)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Yes, it's interesting because you've actually highlighted something I've tried pointing out before. People will spend 1000's and 1000's modding their cars rather than just buying a more expensive and faster one.

Why do they do this? Well 2 reasons;

1) They can't afford a faster car in one dollop so they buy a cheaper one and do it up a bit at a time.

2) They like modding cars and older ones are just that bit easier to work on (in some cases). But then one argument is that they could buy an already fast car and mod it, right? No, remember, the budget doesn't go that far for a lot of people.

Now, let's compare that to my scenario, I could just buy another car, newer with fewer problems. Oh, hang on a minute I can't afford it and can't get car finance so I buy a cheaper car and repair it in bits. Sound familiar? It's the same logic but because I'm seemingly getting nowhere and haven't got it to 400bhp yet then it's seen as a complete waste of money by some, but this is not the case.

2 years ago I wouldn't dare put a spanner to a car, I've done jobs I wouldn't dare have tackled two years ago but now I do, so I'm learning. I can't afford to save up for a newer car so unless I go to 'Bank of Mum and Dad' I might as well just stick with the car for as long as I can, and that's been my logic all along. I'm forced in to it by circumstance and until you've been where I am financially you'd never understand.

Think about what I've done with this car and where I've got to with it, what's left? Not a lot. Yes, I could have saved up all this cash that I've 'ploughed' in to it and got myself a 3 year old D5 by now. But then how was I supposed to know that it would end up going this far and also how would I have even got around for the past 2 years without a car whilst I saved up all this cash?

Perhaps that will put things in to perspective for some people.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I can see what you're saying James, but your situation is a bit different to someone modifying a car. Unless you buy a supercar, any car is sold as a compromise between handling and comfort, power and economy, and so forth, modifying for me is about making the car less of a compromise, and a more focused performance car, so I forego comfort and good fuel economy in the interest of power and decent handling, also modifying for a lot of people is about putting their own stamp on the car they own, so it stands out from the sea of standard equivalent models. What you're doing is spending loads on your car just to stand still. I have been in your financial situation (although I don't know the specifics of your situation) what I did was buy a cheap car, if anything went badly wrong with it, I'd scrap it and buy another. As has been said before, it's your money, and if your happy to keep ploughing it in to your car, that's your choice.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 3rd May 2014),graemewelch (Saturday 3rd May 2014),LeeT5 (Saturday 3rd May 2014),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 3rd May 2014)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    What you're doing is spending loads on your car just to stand still.
    Which is, what i'd imagine, what lots of people on VOC do.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Saturday 3rd May 2014)

The old girl is a little rough
    Thanks
    Just buy an 850 T5 for a couple of hundred quid and beat it hard. LOL.

Thats what im going to do. Oh yes.
    '04 S60 D5 163

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    James if you like your car keep ploughing the money at it! I know if my saffy needed a new engine I wouldn't be scrapping or getting rid of it, and that's not worth alot probably.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Which is, what i'd imagine, what lots of people on VOC do.
    Not only on VOC! I do it on here too.....

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    What you're doing is spending loads on your car just to stand still.
    This sounds like someone I know,he spends loads on a car that just sits resting outside.

Very good point made here there are a fair number of members here that run more than one car the second car is a hobby and or plaything, As said before the amount of money lavished on them is colossal,compared to what the book price is.

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    This sounds like someone I know,he spends loads on a car that just sits resting outside.

Very good point made here there are a fair number of members here that run more than one car the second car is a hobby and or plaything, As said before the amount of money lavished on them is colossal,compared to what the book price is.
    Yeah, I don't think any of us are under the illusion that we'll get back what we've spent on them, but for us it's a hobby, and more exciting than collecting stamps.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Yeah, I don't think any of us are under the illusion that we'll get back what we've spent on them, but for us it's a hobby, and more exciting than collecting stamps.
    Well said.....there are far more expensive hobbies (some stamps are worth more than my car)

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Well said.....there are far more expensive hobbies (some stamps are worth more than my car)
    That would be a first class stamp then.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    FINALLY!!! People are starting to realise that the car belongs to James, and what he does with it is his business. LOL, it has only taken 120 odd posts. If he wants to plough money into what others believe is a lost cause, then that is his prerogative. Many might not agree with it, but he is hardly deserving of all the vitriol directed at him.
    Crack on James, if this is the best way forward for you.
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Graham your car will always be worth more than one of these.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

V70 Graham (Saturday 3rd May 2014)

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Graham your car will always be worth more than one of these.

One maybe, but not two.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    FINALLY!!! People are starting to realise that the car belongs to James, and what he does with it is his business....
    I for one have never slated James, I just hope he ends up with the V70 in decent condition.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

23. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post

2 years ago I wouldn't dare put a spanner to a car, I've done jobs I wouldn't dare have tackled two years ago but now I do, so I'm learning. I can't afford to save up for a newer car so unless I go to 'Bank of Mum and Dad' I might as well just stick with the car for as long as I can, and that's been my logic all along. I'm forced in to it by circumstance and until you've been where I am financially you'd never understand.
    The problem is you don't listen! Collectively their is hundreds of years of experience from ppl working in the vehicle trade professionally, you would learn a lot more if you listened now and again.

Nobody is disputing anything of what you said in thread #123, and I for one, firmly agree. I myself have spent more than the car is worth in both modding and excessive servicing and a 'fix immediately' attitude regardless of cost, but then my car has only done 136k and as a model R is (by default) more valuable, desirable and theoretically, should hold it's value better than a V70 T5. I am mightily impressed that your car has done 260k......20 years ago, those sort of miles could only be dreamed of and if in existence, very rare indeed! Now I'm not in the car sale trade, but I know that your car won't devalue in price any more than it had done up until now. With 260k on the clock, you'll be lucky if it's worth £400 and I'm sure it's worth £400 all day long - but potentially (as Stribo says) £2k in parts!!!
    For me, your situation would now be a big decision to make. Do I scrap for parts and potentially spend the money I get from parts on another, newer, lower mileage T5 OR do I wait for the inevitable big garage bill and then have my hand forced into keeping it and praying that nothing else goes wrong?

As far as mods go (presuming your car is saved from the dead).......well, engine wise, I would leave well alone. With 260k on it your engine ain't no spring chicken and it would be like trying to force your granny to play 90 minutes on a football pitch! Something will let go and then you'll be back here again. My advice is stop modding your engine. Accept that it won't get any faster and be thankful that it's still on the road and maybe you'll get her up to that massive milestone of 300k!!

I know what I'd do.

I'm not having a pop at you James and despite our differences of opinion I genuinely hope you make the right decision.

Good luck!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

25. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 3rd May 2014)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    2k in bits? If thats the case ill buy ten scrap v70s
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

will it never end?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    The problem is you don't listen! Collectively their is hundreds of years of experience from ppl working in the vehicle trade professionally, you would learn a lot more if you listened now and again.

Nobody is disputing anything of what you said in thread #123, and I for one, firmly agree. I myself have spent more than the car is worth in both modding and excessive servicing and a 'fix immediately' attitude regardless of cost, but then my car has only done 136k and as a model R is (by default) more valuable, desirable and theoretically, should hold it's value better than a V70 T5. I am mightily impressed that your car has done 260k......20 years ago, those sort of miles could only be dreamed of and if in existence, very rare indeed! Now I'm not in the car sale trade, but I know that your car won't devalue in price any more than it had done up until now. With 260k on the clock, you'll be lucky if it's worth £400 and I'm sure it's worth £400 all day long - but potentially (as Stribo says) £2k in parts!!!
    For me, your situation would now be a big decision to make. Do I scrap for parts and potentially spend the money I get from parts on another, newer, lower mileage T5 OR do I wait for the inevitable big garage bill and then have my hand forced into keeping it and praying that nothing else goes wrong?

As far as mods go (presuming your car is saved from the dead).......well, engine wise, I would leave well alone. With 260k on it your engine ain't no spring chicken and it would be like trying to force your granny to play 90 minutes on a football pitch! Something will let go and then you'll be back here again. My advice is stop modding your engine. Accept that it won't get any faster and be thankful that it's still on the road and maybe you'll get her up to that massive milestone of 300k!!

I know what I'd do.

I'm not having a pop at you James and despite our differences of opinion I genuinely hope you make the right decision.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    2k in bits? If thats the case ill buy ten scrap v70s
    I didn't say it was worth £2K in bits, think that was MRP.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Sorry, I wasn't paying attention mate. If it was you or Martin, whatever, my point stands. Thou I do think £2k in parts is rather exaggerated. Maybe £1000-1500, either way, that's another T5 territory with a lot less miles!!!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Saturday 3rd May 2014),stribo (Saturday 3rd May 2014)

Thread Information